• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX 6300 OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OCKTSGO

Hello, i have an fx 6300 and ga-970a-ds3p. i've tried to overclock the cpu above it's turbo speed(4.1GHz) but it fails in prime95 stress testing(cores die eventually) within 2-3 minutes. temperatures seem fine and i've many coolers directly blowing on the cpu,vrms and nb. also my room is air conditioned.
things i've tried so far:
-raising multiplier and voltage (couldn't get stable 4.2GHz even with Load Line collaboration set to extreme and vcore 1.5v).
here are some images describing the conditions :
TempsVtgs.jpg RamMobo.jpg sal33e.jpg
I.jpg
IMG_20180822_121945.jpg
IMG_20180822_122017.jpg
I.jpg

Last edited:
Not enough board. Only 4+1 phase.
Also, the temps in your screenshot seem abnormally low to me. That tells me you opened HWmonitor after P95 quit.

It was started before running the test and never closed it. As I mentioned before cooling isn't a problem to me (front 500mm fan intake and 3x 220mm outtake plus air-conditioning running)
I know 4+1 isn't a good option but i have seen people get higher oc even with 760 mobos.
Is there any chance by tweaking HT/NB ?

Not likely.
My comment about your temps was because for air, they're abnormally low. I'm on water and I don't get temps that low on P95.
Matter of fact, even on my chiller I don't get temps that low in P95.
I also notice your workers didn't last even 1 minute before they quit. How long did P95 actually run?

Less than 3 minutes I think. I stopped it once one core stopped because the system started lagging.
It's considered unstable oc if one worker stopped right ?
On 4.1Ghz stress test temps never go outside 40s range.

That explains a lot. 3 minutes ain't sh1t.
Yes , unstable OC if a worker stops.
More vcore is necessary.
Lagging is the board throttling. VRM throttling specifically.
At 4.1 will it run P95 for 2 hours without dropped workers?, and if so, what are the temps like then?

I've raised the vcore to 1.5v with highest LLC in previous test. I was monitoring the cores,temps and the vcore readings when p95 test fail voltage didn't drop and temps where normal.
Anyways, I'll do a full 2 hours 4.1ghz test and post results. Thank you for your time.

Like Mr. Scott said, vcore is king. On the other hand you could also try the AIDA64 torture test. Sometimes Prime can be overly aggressive, i.e. puts stress on the CPU in a way that you'd never achieve in the real world.

AIDA64 has real time temp/load monitoring and customizable options for how and what you want to stress. If you don't have it you can download the free version. I started using AIDA64 a few years ago and I really love it. Also has a battery of tests and benchmarks built into the program to help you get the most out of your OC.

Bios is reporting your RAM voltage is only 1.488 when it needs to be 1.5 according to CPU-z "SPD" tab. I would try bumping the RAM voltage up to 1.55. Even on that motherboard you should be able to get about 4.3 ghz OC without issue. I would also try putting a spot fan on your VRM heat sink.

Would you also attach a pic of the "Memory" tab from CPU-z please?

And please create a Signature with a more complete list of hardware components such as info about your CPU cooler, PSU, GPU. You can access the Signature tool from "Settings" at top left corner of any forum page.

Back