• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC a FX-8370 with a GA-970A-DS3P

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Agbrac

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I know is an old computer, but is what I have :) .... Computer is on 24/7 (as a media center) and I like playing games from time to time. I would love to be able to run them in 4k, but if not 1080 is fine. I tried understanding this post https://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=688663 but he uses another MB and I couldn't follow that much, don't know anything about OC.

I appreciate any assistance provided, if more information is needed I'll update! Thanks!

CPU: FX-8370 (Wraith Cooler)
MB: GA-970A-DS3P
Graphics: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB SSC
RAM: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB Kit 1866MHz DDR3
Case: ATX-A06WBO #1 Fan front, pushing in. #2 Top, pushing out, #3 back, pushing out.

If I were you I'd save a lot of frustration trying to overclock that system. The motherboard is simply not up to it. We've had several forum participants in the last several months asking for help trying to overclock those 8 core FX chips on that motherboard and it just did not pan out. The board's VRM (Voltage Regulation Module) section is just not up to it. Back in that day there were only a handful of motherboards that we recommended for overclocking the FX 8 cores and they were in the $180 and up range. Asus had a couple and Gigabyte had a couple and that was about it. The 8 core FX chips draw huge amounts of power and make huge amounts of heat when overclocked.

Thanks for the quick and honest reply, you think since it's an old setup I could snag an economic MB that could do a better job?

The only motherboards that would stand up to it that might still be available used on ebay would be the Asus Sabertooth v.2 and the Asus Crosshair. Good luck in finding one at a reasonable price. IMO, you would be much better off saving the money and putting it toward more modern components.

And as far as 4k gaming is concerned, forget it on that generation CPU.

Last edited:
Mr Trents is very spot on.
I run 2 fx chips now, an FX9590 and an FX8350, both over 5.0 ghz, these are some of the toughest on motherboards I have run into.
I think the only way I've gotten away with running these things this hard this long is that I run them on watercooled motherboards and monster sized radiators.
If you should decide to find A sabertooth or crosshair board, the very first thing to do is pull the heatsinks off the board and replace the tim.
I have two spare Asus crosshair v boards for when (not if) these fail.

It would be a fun project, but not coat effective at all! I just need a new PC

Back