• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX-8150 Adjust Turbo Core Speed?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

swampdonkey

Is there anyway to adjust turbo core speeds? So instead of the default 3.9/4.2 could that be changed to something like 4.6/4.8?

I think I read in a few 990 chipset mobo reviews that they had a Turbo multiplier setting. If the board has no such setting, then nope no higher Turbo speeds.

I think I read in a few 990 chipset mobo reviews that they had a Turbo multiplier setting. If the board has no such setting, then nope no higher Turbo speeds.

yea i saw that but there was no option to change the voltage (whats the point of having it then? :facepalm:). oh well just curious cause i would like it to be able to boost up to those speeds but not run 24/7 on it.

There is a turbo multiplier on my Crosshair V Formula bios, and you can adjust the cpu voltage as you would normally to accomodate a higher turbo boost; however, my own experimentation and what I've read online indicate that the only effective way to increase the turbo is by using the AMD Overdrive software. As far as I can tell, no matter what the turbo multiplier is set to in the bios, the turbo is hard locked to 3.9ghz on 4 cores and 4.2ghz on 1 or 2 cores.

I've unlocked a higher turbo on 6 cores (e.g. 4.6ghz) using Overdrive but I find the software is not intuitive and the settings are not retained on reboot even with the "Apply my last settings when system reboots" is checked in the preferences. It may have something to do with that green "boost" button about which there is inconsistent info online and limited instructions in the Overdrive Users Guide.

Back