• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX-8150 + Crosshair V + H100

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tradermole

Registered
I am been struggling for more than a month finding the perfect balance between overclock and heath.

Last night I finally did a successful prime95 run with the following setting
4.6 GHZ @ 1.5v LLC medium with overvolt to 140
Ram is not overclocked, multiplier is @ 23x
I use a H100 Push Pull for cooling.

Using Hardmonitor I was running at about 67c-68c and everything was stable. Except the NB temp was a bit high @60c
So I proceed to put a 80mm that I have laying around, using Velcro, I have it blast on the heath sink of the NB…. Success! My NB temp is now not higher then 52. But my CPU temp dropped 10C, it is now running @ 57c under prime95?

My question is: could that 80mm fan blowing air around the CPU socket give false reading?

Basic spec:
AMD FX-8150
Asus Crosshair V
Corsair H100
Corsair vengeance DDR3 1600(OC) set at 1600 in the bios

What are the CPU CORE Temps as viewed in Hardware Monitor from CPUID com? That is the first important temp that needs to be considered.

you could use coretemp (the application) to confirm with HWmonitor; also, you might be reading one of the sensor temps and not actually the core temp. A fullsize screenie of HWmonitor would provide more details. Please include cpu screenies too while you're at it; seeing #s is believing.

Here is screen grab of Hardware monitor, CPUZ and a picture of the fan inside the case
These themp are after 15 mins of prime95. (case closed of course)

Attachments

• HDmonitor.PNG
    HDmonitor.PNG
    24.7 KB · Views: 741
  • CPUZ.PNG
    CPUZ.PNG
    17.5 KB · Views: 733
  • fan.jpg
    fan.jpg
    688.3 KB · Views: 784
Those temps are fine. Yes, cooling the NB down with a fan can have a beneficial effect on CPU socket temps if: 1. Air from the NB fan is also spilling over into the socket area, 2. the NB is close enough to contribute to heat buildup in the CPU socket area.

Hi guys I thought the thermal limit per amd for this cpu was 61C. Is that the core temp? What is the max temps for core and cpu?

Thanks.

i am no expert, but 61 is more for the cores then the whole CPU. i read a lot on the net.... and 60c to 70c seem pretty safe for the CPU and 61c is the limit per core. i read somewhere that AMD had say that the CPU will start to degrade (fall appart) at temp above 90c. the CPU (FX-8150) is said to throttle down at about 80c.

you only reach temp above 61c (CPU) with program like prim95..... i play all sort of recent demanding games and my CPU temp barely touch 50c.

Just my 2 cents.

Awesome thanks Im at 4.4 with my H80 cooler 57C cpu and 50C core prime 95. Same mobo and cpu. Except I didnt overclock with the multiplier I used the bus. My bus is at 245 that puts my cpu at 4.4 and my ram at 2285 my NB and ht are both at 2800. Cpu v 1.465 ram v at 1.750. I may bump my cpu up slightly now that I know the proper thermal limits. What is your NB and HT set at?

Thanks again!

i tried the bus route, it tend to make the system unstable much more quicker then the multiplier. so my ram is stock (1600OC), CPU/NB and HT both at 2400. 1.5v for 4.6 speed. CPU/NB @ 1.3v. one important factor CPU load line calibration. and CPU over current protection. to keep temp in check i had 2 choice: CPU LLC @ medium with 1.5v or CPU LLC @ high with 1.4750v. With setting at medium (1.5v) giving a little lower temp. (overcurrent is @ 140% on both setting). the CPU LLC is a very important setting the higher you put it, the more stable you get at lower voltage. but the heath increase a lot between setting. (norma>medium>high etc....)

my system is currently running a 24hrs prime95 test with lower multiplier and bus @220 (i keept it arround 4.6 ghz). after 8 hrs no problem so far.

putting a fan (80mm) on top of the NB chip location shave a lot of degree from my temp.

PS: @ 1.465v for 4.4 GHZ i bet you CPU LLC is at regular. because the voltage is a bit high for only 4.4?

Last edited:
when im playin BF3 on a hot day, even with my H100 my temps hit mid 60's and that scares me a bit (im usin a 8150)

like i heard to much arround here. More info is needed shaunnyb: h100 push/pull ? push air in or out? what type of fan? case? thernal paste you used? voltage? LLC? etc......

For everyone else: my test at 220 bus was a success! so i got a little speed bump (4.6 ghz with 220 Bus). after more tweaking, a vcore of 1.48750 and CPU LLC at high, i manage 4.7 ghz.... but one core faild about 8-12 hrs into prime95 test....

temp is overing between 65 and 68 in an AC controlled (21c) room under prime95. i just order some high static pressurenoctua fans to replace my gougar fans and a 200mm fan, i will replace the side plexi of my 800d case with a grille and put the 200mm fans on it.

i also have project frozen H80. i ordered some Artic Silver thermal glue. so i can glue a CPU heath sink (old AMD from the athlon XP era) to my peltier element and then glue it to the water reservoir of the H80 rad. this should keep the water cold? anyone think it can work?

Last edited:
It might bring the temps of the liquid down slightly but its unlikely to make a significant impact on performance.

Hey Tradermole whats hi temps for northbridge? Im staying at 60C playing bf3.

Temp WAS 60c, i put cheap fans and it help a little. now i have a Cooler Master 80mm fan (40 CFM) now is down to 52-54 MAX

Back