• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX9590 with Crosshair V Formula Z

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EagleA25

Hey everyone;

Not a cry out for help but a weird thing that is happening.
I (accidentally) burned my MSI FX990 Gaming MB and the FX8350 that was in it, so I got me a Crosshair V Formula Z to use with a (previously retired) FX9590. Since that Processor is power hungry I was not fond of reusing it but right now have no other choice.
After installing everything I ran a few stability tests just to realize that the system was overheating (69C-73C under load) and was completely unstable. So I went into the BIOS and reduced the multiplier by 0.5 (from 4.7 to 4.6 GHz) and voila, System is stable as a rock.
Still, knowing I should be able to squeeze a little more out of this (the turbo runs up to 5.2GHz) I’d like to know what is wrong...

Here are my Specs:

AMD FX9590
ASUS ROG Crosshairs V Formula Z
Corsair H100i 120mm Liquid Cooler
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W Gold
MSI GTX1080Ti 4GB
32 GB G-Skill DDR3 at 1866
Two 512GB SSD’s
Two 1.5TB Baracuda 7200RPM

If anyone has any suggestions, please advise... and thanks for reading my post... more thanks for replying :)
M.

What are your max temps under stress after reducing the multiplier by .5x? Did you also reduce core voltage?

Could be that put the CPU under the frequency limit where instability sets in. I'm not sure what makes you say, "knowing I should be able to squeeze a little more out of this . . ." I'm not sure I buy that assumption.

I also am not sure that the H100i is going to be adequate for anything but stock. And it could also be that the CPU had deteriorated over time and use before you redeployed it. Those FX 9590s were sold already overclocked to the limit and maybe even a little beyond that. There were many stories on this forum of people who bought those things and could never get them stable even at stock voltages and frequencies. To put it succinctly, that series was an AMD disaster and a half-baked desperate attempt by the company to catch up to Intel.

Back