• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX-8350 SLOWER than i7 740QM Mobile??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DarkApollo

Registered
I was testing out my system for the Pi challenge this month for laughs and I ran the 32M test on my Dell laptop that has a quad core i7 @ 1.7GHz and only 4Gb of ram and it did it in 19:20ish.. When I got home I ran the same test on my 8350 @4.6 with 8Gb of ram and it did it in almost 21 minutes! What the heck?

GA-990FXA-UD3
8350 @ 4.6
8Gb @ 8-8-8-24

I R Disappoint.. I would have hoped that my desktop would have put up at least a fight against my laptop.. That blows. -_-

Not sure why you really care about an antiquated benchmark that is in no way relevant to performance in this day and age of CPU's.

Not sure why you really care about an antiquated benchmark that is in no way relevant to performance in this day and age of CPU's.

For the Benchmark challenge :) I was hoping to put up at least a respectable time and not have my 4 year old Latitude laugh at it.

do like mandrakee says, it'll help.

in the overclocktagon it's not you against them, it's you against you!!!!

but don't be paranoid, I'll be gunnin fer ya with my monster apu's!!!!!!!

Wow...
16:25.xxx @ 4.4Ghz. RAM is as tight as I can go. Any lower than 8-8-8-24 and she returns 'round not exact' errors.

Im off to bed. Going to try for sub 16 tomorrow on 4.7Ghz.
You guys are awesome!

Cpu Mhz>Memory Mhz>Ram Timings in this bench. You will see your biggest improvements with raw cpu speed.

Also drop it down to 2 cores so you can get up to speed with your cooling. Then get the CPU_NB up as fast as you can manage. Both of those will make a big difference.

Get up to speed with your cooling
Meaning that if you drop to 2 cores you can crank it up to 5.0 without having to worry about temps. Open task manager and kill any services you don't need even explorer set the benchmark to high priority and run it. When it's finished open task manager again and then go to file run new task type in explorer and your desktop will come back. Just a couple of tips to improve your results.

AHHH I getcha. When I had it stable at 5.056 previously it was only in the 50's, but hell, anything to post up good numbers.
This benchmarking thing is.. a bit.. addictive.

Yes... yes.... And I have a nasty habit of seeing how far down that rabbit hole my wallet will go before the choice between Ramen and a new stick of slightly faster RAM, or actual groceries and trying to tweek the current set up for that last 100Mhz becomes an actual concern.

This is my first build where I actually have 'good' components and was not on a "$75 or less" budget ;)

That's awsome man, check out the bench team if you really want to see how deep it goes. I doesn't always have to be the most expensive hardware. You still get points for rocking the older stuff.

Back