• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX-8350: Trying to understand why disabling cores improves game performance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That 200mm fan doesn't move crap. It's only 110 CFM.
You have 3 times the intake than exhaust, and coming from 3 different directions. Your airflow is a swirling heat sh1tstorm because there is so much going on that the heat doesn't have a chance to rise to your exhaust. It just keeps getting whipped around the case.
Smoother flow, is the WTG. ;)

Even if you added fans like Johan suggested, chances are it will still throttle, maybe just not as much. The board is sub standard for an 8 core FX.

Its already not throttling under the same load it was previously, in regard to games at least. Getting some fans on the VRM/socket, optimizing the airflow, etc should just help further stabilize that from what i can tell with the testing i did.

Interesting comment on the airflow though im pretty confident in the redone setup especially compared to how it is currently. Im sure the big *** zotac amp! extreme 980ti seperating the bottom half of the case from the top half isn't helping lol. Its like a divider in there.

So i guess there we go. Hi-ho silver, awayyyyy.

Cooler Master HAF 932 is a beast for airflow. Though the future proposed changes to it will have it intaking from rear fan, heatsink fan flipped as well to further draw air in from the rear, top will is already exhaust but is a huge 220mm fan, huge 220mm side fan is on intake, front 120mm is on intake. With this setup, cooler air will enter the rear and pass over the VRM, through the heatsink, then up and out while cool air will be drawn in from the side and front. That big 220mm up top should be all the exhaust it needs. I think this will be more ideal given the situation. Then we can rectify the little things with spot fans and should be good to go going forward. Also, will become more positive pressure and deal with less dust. Currently, its an absolute dust monster. Cleaning it out every month or two isn't just good practice, its basically required.

If you are doing fine I would just go with it like you said, until the purchase of Intel.:)

Back