• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED fx4100 overclock @ 4.2ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BleachFinny

Registered
Now that I (mostly) solved my cpu temp issues, i'm thinking about increasing my OC to 4.2 from 4.0
Currently I have it on auto vcore which is around 1.25, 20x200 fsb to have 4ghz clock. Also I'm using the stock cooler, and hits high 30C in p95.
I'm wondering what vcore should i have for 4.2ghz, and whether the stock cooler is good enough for 4.2.

Thanks,

The answer to your question about how much core voltage it takes to get to 4.2: However much it takes.

Just keep increasing the multiplier by .5x until you fail a 20 minute Pime95 blend test and then increase the vcore to restore stability. Repeat that until you get to 4.2 ghz. and can pass a 2+ hr. Prime95 blend test and not have core temps exceed 55c or CPU temps exceed 65c.

I was able to do 4.2GHz on the same voltage, but every processor is different. I let mine run all night on Prime95, a complete 8 hours, just to make sure it was stable, and it hasn't failed me yet. Good luck!

Alright, I got mine to work at 4.2 ghz w/ about 1.3 vcore. Perhaps i should lower my vcore since koopa got their's to 4.2 with 1.25. But I let mine run for about 7 or 8 hr and it didn't fail or go above 50C so I should be okay for now.

Thanks guys

What cooler are you using? Mine doesn't go above 32C on the Hyper 212+, of course that's with a lower voltage too.

I'm lazy and still using the stock cooler :-/ . If I want to continue overclocking, I probably am going to need an aftermarket.

I'm lazy and still using the stock cooler :-/ . If I want to continue overclocking, I probably am going to need an aftermarket.

I'm hardly an OC'g expert, but i did find that better cooling pays off in spades with this processor! I use a Hyper TX3 cause I couldn't fit anything bigger in my mini-tower. It worked wonders but it seems obvious a Hyper212 would get 4.6g... if it would fit.

By the way, I think the question is best asked: what's the maximum safe voltage for a 24/7 OC. I think that's in the 1.5-1.55 volt range so long as core temp less than 60c, ideally 55c, in stress testing. But I've never seen it clearly stated anywhere. Sure would be good to know.

Last edited:
Back