• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX6100, 6200, 8120... or Thuban?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

manu2b

Hi all,

I was thinking of building a new Ivy Bridge system (3770k), but even if it will smash the BD architecture, I believe the OC process won't be either fun or challenging (same as SB I guess).

Noticing that even my old PhII fulfils my needs, I am sure that I can have a lot of fun with a BD setup, and there come the questions:
Does the 6200 overclocks higher than the 6100?
Does PS and image manipulation/publishing software take advantage of the "8 cores" 8120?

Finally, would not a Thuban be better than a FX?

Cooling is not an issue: a 360rad+3x1800RPM fans will cool the CPU only.

Thanks for the input.

Does the 6200 overclocks higher than the 6100? = Absolutely no valid idea. There has only been ONE user post in this cpu forum section with an FX-6200 and it showed no better than the FX-6100s.

Does PS and image manipulation/publishing software take advantage of the "8 cores" 8120? = IF you g00gle that question for yourself, you will see question after question asking that very same thing. And if you go to the Adobe forums...you wil not find a real answer. Only guesses and speculations. I saw some testing that showed PS was slower on 8 cores than on 4 cores. Not very much but a little.

Finally, would not a Thuban be better than a FX? = Thubans are mostly gone in the retail Usa market. You say that you don't need more power now. I would not get a Thuban but FX to play with AND not even an BD but would wait for PD.

Thanks RGone.

Thing is that there is absolutely no launch date for PD, and I've promised my current PhII setup to my uncle...

There are a few used Thubans on the classified here in France (around $150 for a 1100t), some 6100s also ($100) and a couple of 8120s ($130).

I'm also in the process of choosing a good OC'ing MoBo.

From an overclocking perspective, BD is a lot of fun. You can hit high frequencies on air/water and it's a tweakable platform, or at least more so than SB. I have an 8150 with a 1.36v vid (which is pretty bad) and I can still run it at 5GHz stable and 5.3GHz unstable.

That said, I wouldn't consider anything under the 8120. The cores in BD don't really count as full cores and definitely don't operate as efficiently as one. In an 8core BD chip, there are 4 modules, within each module is 2 cores sharing resources that a core would typically have to itself in a different architecture. Although untrue, a way of looking at BD performance wise is that a 6core chip is 3c 6t and an 8core chip is 4c 4t. You can gain performance in heavily multi threaded apps, but single thread performance takes a hit.

This link has a more indepth explanation into what a BD "core" is: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2011/10/12/amd-fx-8150-review/2

Single threaded performance and the thuban wins hands down, only in applications that can make full use of the 8 cores (and BF3 for some reason) does BD finally pull ahead. That said, Thuban will stop clocking at 4-4.3 on air/water while BD should get you upwards of 4.6GHz. Whether or not that flips the tables I don't know, but even the 8120 is $30 cheaper than a 1100T for you so it might be your way to go.

From an overclocking perspective, BD is a lot of fun. You can hit high frequencies on air/water and it's a tweakable platform, or at least more so than SB. I have an 8150 with a 1.36v vid (which is pretty bad) and I can still run it at 5GHz stable and 5.3GHz unstable.

That said, I wouldn't consider anything under the 8120. The cores in BD don't really count as full cores and definitely don't operate as efficiently as one. In an 8core BD chip, there are 4 modules, within each module is 2 cores sharing resources that a core would typically have to itself in a different architecture. Although untrue, a way of looking at BD performance wise is that a 6core chip is 3c 6t and an 8core chip is 4c 4t. You can gain performance in heavily multi threaded apps, but single thread performance takes a hit.

This link has a more indepth explanation into what a BD "core" is: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2011/10/12/amd-fx-8150-review/2

Single threaded performance and the thuban wins hands down, only in applications that can make full use of the 8 cores (and BF3 for some reason) does BD finally pull ahead. That said, Thuban will stop clocking at 4-4.3 on air/water while BD should get you upwards of 4.6GHz. Whether or not that flips the tables I don't know, but even the 8120 is $30 cheaper than a 1100T for you so it might be your way to go.

Yep, I think it is the path I am heading toward.

A 8120 or a 8150.

Thanks.

Back