• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade phe2 x4 965 for eol gd70, or not?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mk57nato

Registered
Howdy all.

Sad to say but next major upgrade will probably be intel. But for now i have a msi 890fxa-gd70 board with a phenom 2 x4 965be running in it. When i do upgrade this old board will step down into my htpc. (htpc mostly bluray player, but also games, mame, daphne, some video encoding)

It seems that this board will accept the bulldozer 8150. NOT certain on this, but msi sheets say so?

So the question is... Since the phenoms x4 and thubans x6 seem to be end of life and stock drying up, Would it be a good idea to max the proc in this board with what i can get now?

There is the p2x4 980, 1100t (hard to find), and the fx 8150.

I plan on using the system for probably another year at least before the intel jump, maybe i just have the "itch" to get something new. But even though basing it on this mobo, I am hoping for a significant upgrade thats going to last me AT LEAST a year or more.

I understand bd is a new architecture and not optimized very well, So assuming it will work in this board it should only get better with time. So would it be a good jump for now to tide me over till i do the major. Or just a waste of money?

Keep in mind this will end up as my htpc's guts when i do finally make the big change. Just looking to max out the board so when it does go into my htpc it will be there for a LONG time.

Current specs
mb msi890fxa-gd70
phen2 x4 965be (oced 3.8)
16g (4x4) corsair@1600
corsair h100
intel 160g 320ssd
hitachi 2tb 7200
msi 6870 ( i plan on jumping on a msi 7970 lightning when it comes out, unless the 680 smokes it)
ps corsair ax850
2x30"at 2560x1600 (i dont cfr or sli, sometimes run both monitors but never eyefinity)

Obviously i wont be oc when in my htpc. But while in main system i have no prob oc'ing the hell out of it.

The 7970 Will stay with the main pc, probably everything else goes to the htpc which at that point i might actually consider going ceton cablecard and dumping dvr/cablebox.

Thoughts ideas suggestions? Flames:mad:? LOL...

I doubt I would pay the difference to buy and FX-8150 over the FX-8120. 100Mhz for the dollars is not worth it to me.

Personally I doubt software catching up or doing much for the original FX cpus. I think that is just monetary hype.

If I was making plenty of money and had some to burn, I would most likely go with the FX6100 six core since it will run a little cooler in an HTPC case and yet be a quasi 6 core.

Yea guess im going to blow off pretty much all upgrading right now. Been waiting on the msi lightining only to find out that both dvi ports are only single link..boo

I wasent worried about the htpc so much as the 965be i have is probably overkill even at this point. I was just thinking if any of those procs were a significant boost for now over the 965be. That and was planning on upping the video card so didnt want any bottlenecks.

I guess i can just wait and maintain status quo... lol kinda wanted a new video card and proc, but hey just means i saved bout a grand... so thats something good lol

Just ordered the fx 6200, So hoping i can get it to 4.4 or better. we will see when it comes in. I am very much hoping ill see a noticeable improvement over my 965be

Back