• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX8350 and Crossfire setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Re applying the TIM was the first thing i tried, i cleaned the cpu and heat sink with rubbing alcohol, the first time i applied a pea sized dot amount center of chip, 2nd time i cut it back to half pea sized center of chip, when tightening down heat sink i did the cross method, i seem to get same results both times.

I am guessing i should be 50 under load ? I will pickup one more case fan and see if it helps

Hm. A bit more airflow could help. You should be at about 50-54c under max load on the 212 even without undervolting. See, I would have a hard time telling ya-- My cases always have excessive air flow, so the temps inside are great :attn: A good way to test if you need more case flow is to pop off the side and blow a large fan (Like an oscilating fan or a box fan) directly into the case

If your temps have a substantial change then you can probably surmise your case's temps are at least partially responsible

I only managed to undervolt a small amount a drop of .25 volts from stock setting otherwise i got a error in one of the tests and i am sitting at 55 degrees max load with side cover on.

I ran it before with the side cover off but this was before i changed the location of the cpu fan to the ram side which gave me the big drop of 64 to 55.

I only managed to undervolt a small amount a drop of .25 volts from stock setting otherwise i got a error in one of the tests and i am sitting at 55 degrees max load with side cover on.

I ran it before with the side cover off but this was before i changed the location of the cpu fan to the ram side which gave me the big drop of 64 to 55.

Always good to give it a shot anyways.

As far as undervolting goes, I think you can get another bump out of it if you increase CPU-PLL voltage.. at least, I could. Results vary I'm sure..

I don't think you should have to decrease your voltage, though. Its strange your temps are still high, but I don't think 55 is terrible. I think it gives you a big enough headroom to push maybe to 4.4GHz, but I doubt much more (This would more than likely require a voltage bump)

Tdog, I know there was another post on this forum, where someone else had heat issues with their 8350 and it did turn out to be a bad chip.

Tdog, I know there was another post on this forum, where someone else had heat issues with their 8350 and it did turn out to be a bad chip.

Mm, I'm not sure his temps are quite high enough to really account for a bad chip-- If it isn't pricy to RMA, this is always an option, just for giggles :shrug:

Maybe I'm just spoiled by my H2O setup Anonaru :). I would think the EVO would be giving better temps then 55c at stock clocks.

Maybe I'm just spoiled by my H2O setup Anonaru :). I would think the EVO would be giving better temps then 55c at stock clocks.

Haha, yes sir at that :attn:

I also agree that the EVO should be giving him at most 50-52c at P95 level loads. It definitly doesn't hurt to try another chip

The other thread being referred to about temps and FX-8350 being bad causing high temps had different symptoms. That 8350 sent to 70c the second that P95 Blend was started. In addition with the other 8350 there were no dramatic temps drops no matter how fans were positioned. Nothing helped that 8350. Turning the HSF around on this 8350 dropped the temps nicely as it should when now blowing air toward the rear of the case and the toward the rear exhaust fan.

If you go look at the pics of his case you will see why the temps are high. That long-azz video card and the lower hdd drive mounting area blocks just about all cool air flow into the case. Very poor design for long video cards for sure.

The other thread being referred to about temps and FX-8350 being bad causing high temps had different symptoms. That 8350 sent to 70c the second that P95 Blend was started. In addition with the other 8350 there were no dramatic temps drops no matter how fans were positioned. Nothing helped that 8350. Turning the HSF around on this 8350 dropped the temps nicely as it should when now blowing air toward the rear of the case and the toward the rear exhaust fan.

If you go look at the pics of his case you will see why the temps are high. That long-azz video card and the lower hdd drive mounting area blocks just about all cool air flow into the case. Very poor design for long video cards for sure.

Was afraid something like this was being kept from me (The pictures aren't viewable where I'm at ATM, wherever they are hosted from is being blocked). In that case, pop the computer case open and blow a big fan into it like I suggested OP :attn:

The cards are pretty big in the case, you could never put 3 of them in there, i sort of wish i had a bigger case for better air flow, if i can get it to 51/52 with 1 more top fan and a push pull setup i will be happy

Many case fans that come installed with a case will not move as much air as a 'good' fan can do of the same size.

I would move the hdds as far down in that hdd rack as possible and give some room for that front intake fan to blow air over the fans and into the case. Or if you can get the hdds way up above the front intake fan. Anything so the hdds are not in front of the low mounted front intake fan.

What picture? Did I miss something?

RGone the only issue I have with what you said about the GPU blocking the airflow, is that he said that he removed the side of his case and the temps didn't change. If it were a problem with the airflow being blocked from the GPU, wouldn't taking the door off solve this, albeit temporarily?

What picture? Did I miss something?

RGone the only issue I have with what you said about the GPU blocking the airflow, is that he said that he removed the side of his case and the temps didn't change. If it were a problem with the airflow being blocked from the GPU, wouldn't taking the door off solve this, albeit temporarily?

I saw you suggest to remove the side cover but his next post was that he had removed a video card and in the posts after that " I " did not catch him referring to removing the side cover and putting a house fan blowing in and that not helping.

His changes to better case cooling are helping and the thread with the supposed defective FX-8350 showed no positive results with any added cooling.

@"anonaru" > I went and looked at his case at the case website and it is just not well built to cool after a 9 inch video card is installed. Much less two and use a CM 212 EVO.

Well I installed the corsair h80i today and temp dropped in prime from 55 to 47, so was well worth it.

Back