• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

fx8350 + asrock 970m - fails to recover from hibernation 3 times and resets bios

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tsomek

Hi,

My system fails to boot after hibernating.
It fails 3 times and then resets itself.

(Initially it failed to recover after sleep mode, though that seems to be fixed now after switching off the wake-on-lan option.)

The only thing that I had changed in the BIOS configuration is setting the memory to 2400 MHz, instead of the 1333 it seemed to recognize automatically.
Now I have left the BIOS in its default settings => RAM at 1333MHz

The build is brand-new and set up as below:

• CPU AMD FX-8350 (for now with its own fan)
  • MOBO ASRock 970M PRO3 MicroATX Motherboard
  • RAM Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory
  • SSD Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
  • HDD Seagate ST3500820AS 500GB 3.5"
  • GFX PNY Quadro K620 2GB Video Card
  • PSU Corsair CX 430W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
  • CASE BitFenix Phenom M Midnight Black MicroATX Mini Tower Case
  • OS Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Plugged in:
  • USB Bluetooth adapter
  • USB Hub in Monitor
  • USB Logitech Webcam
  • LAN Ethernet
  • MiniJack Audio-out

Does anybody have some advice for me?

Also, just in case it is of any help, here the CPU-Z with the current settings
cpuZ01.JPG

Many Thanks!
Ro

That 8 core fx is really stressing that matx board, maybe the stress is too hard on it for it to figure out how to return from hibernate..

as long as you CLEARLY understand that that board will be shortlived with that 8 core i'll try to help.
it looks like low vcore in sleep state and the reboots are the poor board auto recovering.
how do you have your vcore set up, on auto?

Thanks for your replies

So you guys are saying that this MB will not live for long, although it claims to be made for AM3+ processors, like the 8-core that I installed?
Consequently I will eventually need to replace the processor for a smaller one, say the 6-core AMD?

Checked all the voltage settings in the BIOS, all are set to Auto, here more detailed info it provided
- DRAM min 1,25V max 2,05V
- CPU min 0mV max 150mV
- NB 1,10V max 1,40V
- HT 1,205V max 1,405V

In the advanced settings I found the following options that are currently disabled:
- Core C6 State
- Enhanced halt state C1E
Both bear comments claiming they help the power consumption..

Do you guys maybe think I should try enabling these?

Thanks
Ro

#1, yes the cpu is to much. if your software does not use 8 cores get one with less cores or get a board that can live under that monster.

#3 yes enable all of those.

hey,

I need the microATX small form factor, and this is the only MB with a 970 chipset and "supporting" 8 cores - that's why I got this on in the first place...
BTW I am using this machine for CAD and 3D Rendering, mainly vray on sketchUP + Photo editing.. that's why I went for as many cores as possible.

If you are absolutely sure about this, I could still replace my 8 core for a 6 core (I hope amazon will accept the return?).
Are you sure that's the right thing to do?

enabled all of them, and will do some sleep/hibernation testing now!

thanks for all your help!
Ro

If you need the cores as you say you do, you'd be further ahead getting a better board which would allow you to run that CPU full out without issue. Just my 2cents.

Thanks for your input,

Unfortunately I am bound to the microATX factor here, and correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the Asrock 970m board I currently have the only one combining microATX + AM3+ 970 chipset?

Yes it is and there's likely good reason for that.
Your board will likely work OK as long as you leave it on auto. If you find that it's throttling under load look for something like HPC in the BIOS and enable it. IF you stay with this board then the best thing you could get would likely be a better CPU cooler which will eleviate some of the eheat

I am planning on getting the Noctua NH-D15 or D14 for a proper CPU cooler - wasn't going to leave it with the default (and SUPER LOUD cpu cooler)..!

Also I wasn't planning on doing any overclocking in order to not put any strain on the CPU + Motherboard

So you think with all of the above that I can get "away" with not replacing the processor after all?

I should still be within the timeframe for returning it (just got the processor 10 days ago).. so can still back out of the 8 core...

With good cooling that CPU should be OK at stock as AMD intended it. You may want to monitor while doing some of your work. Use HWMonitor and watch the CPU speed and temps. If the CPU drops to ~ 3.4 then the board is throttling.

Sounds good.

Excuse my ignorance, what exactly do you mean by
If the CPU drops to ~ 3.4 then the board is throttling.
?

I usually have speedfan running in the background, but just installed HWMonitor as well now, and can't figure out which indication you are referring to.. :(

- - - Updated - - -

Ok - it just clicked :)
You are probably referring to 3,4 MHz under 100% usage?

Yes that's what I mean. If the CPU drops it's speed under load that would be the motherboard telling it something is wrong. IE too hot or too much current draw. If your board has HPC as an option in the CPU section enable it and that shouldn't happen.

when the cpu reaches tdp it slows it self to save itself, return the cpu, or better yet just go into bios and disable 2 and your board will live longer and you will have a better than average 6300.
go to the asrock web site and read up on coolers they want one that blows down on the board to help cool the poor vrm you are trying to roast.

Back