• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

G.skill 1866 memory question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

YAMA187

The difference between the Snipers, Ripjaw X, and Ares you listed are the heat spreaders...the chips underneath (9-10-9-28 1.5V) are the same, pickup the Ares the low profile heat spreader is the way to go.

If your using them to benchmark/run distributed software with them then the extra $15 for the last set of Ripjaws listed is the way to go, otherwise I'd go straight for the Ares.

the heihgt of the heat spreaders arent a issue for me. i think ill go with whatever cools btter

+1, cooling is irrelevant. Pick which one is the cheapest or looks best. :)

Dog I remember you helping me way back when, when I built this system originally. Thanks much. But I'm a bit confused that cooling of ram is irrelevant? I thought heat was the limiting factor? BTW, haven't been on here in a long time, just back on to get some RAM questions answered with a recent upgrade.

EDIT: Also, the fourth one is what I bought. Notice that they have faster timing rated. Me, I don't really know, maybe you can run the cheaper just as fast? But for a few more bucks it's faster in the rating is my logic. BTW mine are running right now a 9-9-9-24 at 1900 :)

Last edited:
+1 DDR3 memory don't get that hot to cause any trouble, the faster the memory the more timing is needed, so it balances out the heat issue.

disagree

my 6 sticks of ram get quite hot when blending... corsair ram fan keeps them cooler then normal

That's odd I had some Corsair DDR3 1600 6-6-6-18 BBSE that ran DDR3 2000 8-8-8-24 and they ran real cool, must be particular chips that run hot. Just curious, what's the revision number on the sticks?

edit: reread your sig, saw the Corsair (H50, thought it was RAM) before now see the OCz, still interested what chips they are but likely won't know without removing the heatspreaders (I wouldn't do that), disregard my above post.

Last edited:
disagree

my 6 sticks of ram get quite hot when blending... corsair ram fan keeps them cooler then normal
6 sticks on a platform 2 gens old with 1.65v on a stress test. I bet it may get warm. What about normal operation...?

He'll I ran 1.65v at 2300mhz in an open air system and they we're barely warm to the touch.

Last edited:
normal ops is fine, especially with the fan.

But with full stress test... man they can put out some heat and its hard to radiate it efficiently w/o a fan. I've actually experienced crashes because my ram was overheating. That's when I realized I needed to change my setup. I got the h50 to dump air outside the case and that made a huge difference, and a cooler over those babies now will keep them nice and cool ^_^

Back