• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

G Skill 2133 w/ A10-7850k APU - Need Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cwreck

Registered
Hey everyone!

Brand new here. New to building. New to OCing. I'm here to absorb as much information as possible, and need some help with getting this ram set up.

So, originally I had Team Vulcan set up at 1600MHz but, I decided with my APU, I needed more. I returned the 1600, and picked up some 2133 by G Skill, the sniper series. Now, I followed instructions after researching all over the internet on just how to adjust frequencies, timings, voltages, etc. I took a stab at it last night, and set it to 9-11-10-28 with a 1.65v @ 2133, and I nearly crapped my pants because it no longer booted. I thought I had just ruined everything. After extensively trying to figure out a way to get back to boot, I managed to by removing the sticks, and placing them in a2 b2, instead of a1 b1.

I've done more research today, however, I'm terrified of trying this again in fear of losing my boot, again. On the back of my product box for G Skill, it says: "CL 11-11-11-30 @ 1.6v". Now, should I roll with that, or is that too high? I am not really entirely sure what all of this means. I have an idea, of course, but, I'm just afraid of messing up again.

If anyone can provide insight and instruction on how to do this properly, please let me know. Currently, frequency is still @ 1600, and everything else is on "Auto". I want to utilize this RAM! I need to!

Thanks in advance,

Cwreck

Cwreck, welcome to the forum. The A10-7850 should be able to run the sticks at 2133 without issue. Have you tried just setting the XMP profile to 2133 and left the timings on AUTO to see if it will boot? If not then set it to 2133 in the BIOS then set the Dram Voltage to 1.65 and set the timings manually to the 11-11-11-30 on the product box. Do worry you will not in most cases hurt anything. If the system doesn't boot just clear the CMOS and it should start right back up again.

You also made a wise choice getting the 2133's and returning the 1600's. The Graphics will definitely benefit from the higher speed ram. I recently build a system for my father, using the A10-7850 and saw a pretty significant gain in the graphics using higher speed ram.

Cwreck, welcome to the forum. The A10-7850 should be able to run the sticks at 2133 without issue. Have you tried just setting the XMP profile to 2133 and left the timings on AUTO to see if it will boot? If not then set it to 2133 in the BIOS then set the Dram Voltage to 1.65 and set the timings manually to the 11-11-11-30 on the product box. Do worry you will not in most cases hurt anything. If the system doesn't boot just clear the CMOS and it should start right back up again.

You also made a wise choice getting the 2133's and returning the 1600's. The Graphics will definitely benefit from the higher speed ram. I recently build a system for my father, using the A10-7850 and saw a pretty significant gain in the graphics using higher speed ram.

Hey, thanks!
I also just remembered to remind you that I have an AMD and my board is MSI A78M-E45. It has the XMP option, but I heard that's only viable for for Intel? Correct me if I'm wrong. I went into BIOS earlier, and I can see XMP. When I click on it, it says "profile 1" "profile 2". What do those mean?

Another note, some people say after changing the frequency, timings, and voltage, I need to change the CPU-NB as well? What does that mean, and why do/would I need to change that?

Also, how do I properly clear the CMOS if something does go wrong? Will that set all of my BIOS settings back to new?

I'm super excited to use the 2133, I just struggle getting this up.
I'm not home currently. But, I will be soon and I'll give it a go.

Last edited:
LOL cwreck, I know that the A10-7850 is an AMD Apu :D

Yes XMP is for Intel but sometimes AMD boards have XMP Profiles in the BIOS and it will help get the timings straightened out to run at 2133. Usually XMP 1 and 2 is #2 will usually have more aggressive timings then #1 so I would try #1 first. You shouldn't have to mess with the NB just leave it on AUTO.

To clear the CMOS read the manual, there is usually a 2 or 3 pin jumper on the motherboard then when shorted will clear the settings and set them back to default. You can also pull the CMOS battery and leave it out for a few minutes, that will also clear it.

I will be heading to bed in an hour or so, so I will post back in the AM.

LOL cwreck, I know that the A10-7850 is an AMD Apu :D

Yes XMP is for Intel but sometimes AMD boards have XMP Profiles in the BIOS and it will help get the timings straightened out to run at 2133. Usually XMP 1 and 2 is #2 will usually have more aggressive timings then #1 so I would try #1 first. You shouldn't have to mess with the NB just leave it on AUTO.

To clear the CMOS read the manual, there is usually a 2 or 3 pin jumper on the motherboard then when shorted will clear the settings and set them back to default. You can also pull the CMOS battery and leave it out for a few minutes, that will also clear it.

I will be heading to bed in an hour or so, so I will post back in the AM.

Hahaha, my bad. Didn't even think of that.
I appreciate it though! I'll give it a shot tonight! At least I know what to do if it goes sour.

So, I set the XMP profile to 1. It set my frequency to 2133, timings to exactly what the product box says (11-11-11-30) and left the voltage on auto. I still got BSOD. I put them in manually, still got BSOD. I don't understand why this is happening...

It boots perfectly fine with the 1600 set frequency. Even with the product box timings. But anytime I try 2133, NOPE. BSOD..

I also checked to make sure my board even supports it. I did before I bought it, but, here's further proof that it indeed, does support it: http://www.msi.com/support/mb/A78M-E45.html#support-ocmem

This is aggravating.

Last edited:
try raising your nb voltage to 1.3 and nb speed to around 2500
Keep the ram on xmp profile 1 first...if that doesn't do it then try #2.

Yeah...fm2 is a little funny with the rammyrammy for me. If I set timings manually the system generally fails to post or boot but if I use xmp we're off to the races (including things like running xmp on 2133 ram then setting ram speed to 2400).

Mandrake- have you played with these setups? Thought profile 1 is 'performance' and profile 2 is 'compatibility' (ie- looser). I may have to retry those :/

try raising your nb voltage to 1.3 and nb speed to around 2500
Keep the ram on xmp profile 1 first...if that doesn't do it then try #2.

Yeah...fm2 is a little funny with the rammyrammy for me. If I set timings manually the system generally fails to post or boot but if I use xmp we're off to the races (including things like running xmp on 2133 ram then setting ram speed to 2400).

Mandrake- have you played with these setups? Thought profile 1 is 'performance' and profile 2 is 'compatibility' (ie- looser). I may have to retry those :/

I'll go take a look at it again. Wish me luck. That BSOD makes me **** every time.

Thought profile 1 is 'performance' and profile 2 is 'compatibility' (ie- looser). I may have to retry those :/
It's been a while since I've used XMP on my boards for AMD so you may be correct Fun.

On my phone now.

Currently in BIOS. Where is NB voltage and speed located? I'm not seeing that.

I see "Adjust CPU-NB ratio" and it gives me numbers 8-31 to choose from.
Then below that there's "Adjusted CPU-NB Frequency" and it's at 1800 MHz and is grayed out.

cwreck, sorry I can't be more help but I'm not familiar with that board and I cannot even find images of the BIOS to see if I can find where to adjust the Cpu Nb voltage.

cwreck, sorry I can't be more help but I'm not familiar with that board and I cannot even find images of the BIOS to see if I can find where to adjust the Cpu Nb voltage.

Would it help if I took a few pictures on my phone and sent them to this thread?

sure that could be beneficial. Use the inforum tool to host them. You need to be in advanced reply, not "quick reply" then click on the paper clip Icon and upload them.

I don't have that option to do so on my phone. Doesn't give me the option.

Can I just provide you an imageshack link or will work?

[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/idh55r5Lj][IMG]http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/150x100q90/661/h55r5L.jpg[/URL]

or link the manual

Select "Adjust CPU-NB ratio" and set it to 2500

There should be a way to adjust the nb voltage

Don't worry about getting bsod's...no biggie and you can learn some useful stuff from them (google "overclocking bsod error codes")

Just found out: the CPU & NB voltage aren't able to be controlled on my board currently. Apparently MSI is going to have a BIOS update for it, but, I have no way of adjusting it at all currently. What should I do...? Did I just waste money on this RAM?

Last edited:
Yessir

Just took a look at the manual (horrible manual btw) and can't even see how/where to adjust cpu voltage let alone nb. Install Command Center and try that....you'll run it from inside windows...it's got more controls exposed than what the manual shows as available in bios.

Tried it on profile 2. Nope. Not only did it fail to work. Failed to boot. Also received some beeping noises. Now, upon startup, it had to repair my computer and restore it to an earlier stage. Now I'm missing quite a few programs, a few games, and other things.
I just wasn't destined to enjoy 2133 speed.

I'm about to give up.

Try setting the Ram at 1866 and the 11-11-11 timings and see if it will boot.

So, frequency at 1866, timings 11-11-11-30, and voltage 1.6?

Also, should I try this "OC Genie" button in my BIOS? What is that exactly?

Back