• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory not running at 3200

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fr3aky panda

Okay I am in need of some help to try and figure this all out. I am new to custom pc building and need understanding and help to get the ram at the appropriate speeds. Here is my current build https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RrLY6X

This is what my ram and cpu is currently running at:

11gipfd.png.jpg
rqywsz.png.jpg

I am curious why my NB frequency is the same as my DRAM frequency and how do I increase the NB frequency. Another thing I am curious about is what FSB:DRAM means and is 1:16 good or bad?

Quick responses would be much appreciated! Thanks

You are running at 3200. CPU-Z lists the real clock, not the marketing speed which is double. 1600 * 2 = 3200

Thanks for the reply mackerel. I did realize late last night about the whole "ddr" meaning double data rate which now I understand that part. I do have a question about the NB frequency. Is that fine at 1596.2 as well? Shouldn't it be DRAM frequency multiplied by how many ram sticks you have? I've seen others that have dual channel as well and their NB frequency is double or more than their DRAM frequency? What does north bridge do exactly? Does it have anything to do with the set up I am running? Thanks!

I just had a look at my two Ryzen systems, and in both cases CPU-Z shows the NB speed to be the same as the ram. It is best to think about the basic clock. Regardless how many sticks of ram, the clock will drive all of them. On Ryzen systems, it is known that the "infinity fabric" which connects the cores to the outside world and other things runs at the same speed as the ram, hence a general recommendation to get faster ram if possible.

I'm not sure what a modern definition of north bridge is these days... in the old days, the chipset was in two physical parts, north bridge and south bridge. The north bridge was closest to CPU, and had the memory controller in it. The south bridge handled other less performance critical things, and still exists as a separate chip today. I guess in that context, the north bridge and memory controller can be referred to interchangeably even if not physically separate now.

Note this doesn't exactly apply to Intel. CPU-Z reported NB speed on those is usually the L3 cache clock, which may be more or less than the ram clock.

Back