• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

G-skill TridentZ_RGB F4-4000c18d_16GTZR

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Murenitu

Hi.

I write to you to ask for help to see if anyone can help me. I currently have a Hero X, although until recently I had a Hero IX with a 7700k, Now I put a Hero X with a 8700k. Buy 2 G-skill kits TridentZ_RGB F4-4000c18d_16GTZR (4 modules in total) in the Hero IX with the 7700k get to 3866Mhz, but in this Hero X with the 8700k there is no human way to make them work at 4000mhz, nor at 3866mhz, at most I only get them to work at 3733.

I wanted to know if someone has these modules, if I have been able to make them work at 4000mhz, because for me it is impossible, I do not know what values ​​should put in order for the XMP profile at 4000mhz to work.

Currently in Hero X I have these values:
a>

Please, I need your wisdom!

4 modules are not guaranteed to run at 4000+. Also this is new platform so expect BIOS updates which will improve memory OC. The same is with almost every generation.
Probably you can make it work at manual settings and CR2. I had no chance to play with Z370 boards yet but I don't expect them to run any better than Z270 when BIOS will be improved. Memory controller supposed to be the same in 8th gen intels as in 7th gen.
In short, play with manual settings or wait 1-3 weeks for BIOS update.

I agree, sometimes 4 sticks don't play well together. But, usually that G.Skill TridentZ RAM is good stuff. I was able to get 4 sticks (4X8GB) running at 4000+.

GSkill TridentZ DDR4-3600 CL17 4133.jpg

I agree, sometimes 4 sticks don't play well together. But, usually that G.Skill TridentZ RAM is good stuff. I was able to get 4 sticks (4X8GB) running at 4000+.

View attachment 194015

please. could you help me?

my plate is a hero X, cpu i7 8700k to 4.9ghz. and the memory that we have commented Gskill TridentZ Rgb to 4000mhz. could you give me all the data I have to put?

What voltages do I put of VCCSA / VCCIO? what more parameters should I set in the timmings? can you please tell me where to put them in the bios?

Mack, so I take it the RAM overclocking is tougher with the i9 processors??

Thus is not as high of a memory clock as the last screenshot I posted, but it does have tighter timings (see screen shot). I just ran Geekbench 3 and got a new personal best for both single and multi benchmarks both using this setup.

GSkill TridentZ DDR4-3600 CL16 4060.jpg

Nice, I guess you have better sticks than I have. Still in quad channel it's much harder to set 4000+ but I guess you will find out that soon. Motherboards have info that they were tested at 4133+ on 6 cores+ but it's impossible with most given kits. Considering that every single ASUS board has exactly the same QVL list I just think they didn't test it at all. ASUS says on the product page that boards run at 4133+ but in their X299 guide they say that 3600 is about max for this platform.
I was able to set 4000+ in quad channel only using Patriot Viper4 3733 ( 2 dual channel kits ) but all other kits couldn't even boot at 4000 in dual channel. One of these kits was TridentZ 3200 which on Z270 passed 4500. I guess I've missed something in settings ( for sure not main or even secondary timings or voltages ).

On Z270/Z370 if BIOS is good then all what is required to set are main timings. Can start from 19-21-21 CR2 and 1.45V. When it's stable then can try tighter timings. If BIOS isn't mature enough then it won't work anyway. On Z270 APEX main timings+voltage let to boot at 4266+.

Nice, I guess you have better sticks than I have. Still in quad channel it's much harder to set 4000+ but I guess you will find out that soon. Motherboards have info that they were tested at 4133+ on 6 cores+ but it's impossible with most given kits. Considering that every single ASUS board has exactly the same QVL list I just think they didn't test it at all. ASUS says on the product page that boards run at 4133+ but in their X299 guide they say that 3600 is about max for this platform.
I was able to set 4000+ in quad channel only using Patriot Viper4 3733 ( 2 dual channel kits ) but all other kits couldn't even boot at 4000 in dual channel. One of these kits was TridentZ 3200 which on Z270 passed 4500. I guess I've missed something in settings ( for sure not main or even secondary timings or voltages ).

On Z270/Z370 if BIOS is good then all what is required to set are main timings. Can start from 19-21-21 CR2 and 1.45V. When it's stable then can try tighter timings. If BIOS isn't mature enough then it won't work anyway. On Z270 APEX main timings+voltage let to boot at 4266+.

I'm using a Hero x Z370, and there are not even any bios on the asus website, I was previously using a hero IX but here I also could not go over 3866 with these memories.

I try to put the times indicated, when you refer to CR2, is the DRAM Command Rate t2?

Did you go through my guide yet? I leave command rate on auto. I say in my guide that I only manually change 3 timing settings and the rest I leave on auto. Have you tried using the XMP setting like I say in my guide? That's the first thing to try and then we can go from there.

Another thing to temporarily try is install 2 of RAM modules instead of 4 to see if that helps, then remove those and set them aside, then try the other pair and see if they clock the same. If not, then your board don't like 4 sticks together or you have a stick that is lame. To figure out if one stick is defective, you might need to run each stick individually. It usually takes Asus a BIOS revision or two to sort out the memory issues. If all else fails, wait for a BIOS update, one should be available soon.

As I said best is to wait for new BIOS as this motherboard is new and there are always issues on early BIOS releases ( just get use to be beta tester ;) )but if you can't wait then check additional options like maximus tweak. Usually this option at 2 is helping in higher clock. Also Command Rate 2 is helping at higher memory frequency but at least on Z270 I could run 4000+ at 1T/N. Also on the bottom of the memory timings list is memory training ( can be 1 option, can be one for each memory slot, I don't know this BIOS ). On X299 additional training is required to pass 4000 in some situations. On Z270 it wasn't required but was helping at 4200+.

On the other hand you can set 3600/3733/3866 at lower timings and get about the same or even better performance. 3600 15-15-15 or 16-16-16 runs on nearly every of these kits at 1.35V. Maybe 3733/3866 will run too, depends on many factors.
I'm just giving additional ideas if you couldn't run your memory at 4000+ right now.

Almost nobody can get the current crop of motherboards to run RAM above DDR4-4133. I saw the same thing when we went to DDR2 and again with DDR3. Eventually, the BIOS updates will improve RAM stability. Especially, when the RAM manufacturers start making higher speed DDR4.

Almost nobody can get the current crop of motherboards to run RAM above DDR4-4133. I saw the same thing when we went to DDR2 and again with DDR3. Eventually, the BIOS updates will improve RAM stability. Especially, when the RAM manufacturers start making higher speed DDR4.

Thanks a lot guys, for now with the Hero X, after trying everything possible, I stay in 3733 and if my memory does not fail me on 17-18-37, I can not make the modules start faster, it does not matter tensions, rams, etc. I will wait for some update of bios to go trying to upload little by little something else.

I imagine that with the data I have now, at 3733, there is little latency for that speed, or even lower?

If I realized that if I use 17-18- (36) Here I present some freezing in the middle of some games at the time of being playing, so I intuit that the value 37, should not lower more. but instead the other 2? How do they affect performance? especially the second number.

That's a question for Woomack. I don't know those kinds of technical details. I do know the first number (CL) is the most important for performance. Have you tried using 2 RAM modules instead of 4 like I suggested? How much DIMM voltage are you using? I have also found that sometimes you need a little more vcore at high memory speeds. Have you tried giving the CPU voltage a bump?

That's a question for Woomack. I don't know those kinds of technical details. I do know the first number (CL) is the most important for performance. Have you tried using 2 RAM modules instead of 4 like I suggested? How much DIMM voltage are you using? I have also found that sometimes you need a little more vcore at high memory speeds. Have you tried giving the CPU voltage a bump?

e tested with DIMM voltage ranges from 1.35 up to 1.4v.

I am with the cpu 8700k to 4.9 all the cores to 1.295v adaptive + 0.12v, cpu LLC configured to 5, under maximum working load the cpu is working at 1,296v with FPU applications, and tested with 2 modules if, in the first "dual channel". and never again step of 3733Mhz.

e tested with DIMM voltage ranges from 1.35 up to 1.4v.

I am with the cpu 8700k to 4.9 all the cores to 1.295v adaptive + 0.12v, cpu LLC configured to 5, under maximum working load the cpu is working at 1,296v with FPU applications, and tested with 2 modules if, in the first "dual channel". and never again step of 3733Mhz.

or my god, before we talked about this ... today I publish asus a bios for hero x .. to been put and without playing absolutely nothing activate the XMP and suddenly the 32gb run at 4000mhz ... Now I will be a few days like this already well know my tireless soul forced me within a few days to start again adjustments to climb more. I think these modules are exactly the same as the 4266mhz, since with Aida64 software, I can see that the SPD speed of the modules is 2133, so is it possible that this is true? and with some manual adjustments can push even more this memory?

LOL, ok, I'm having trouble understanding. Sounds like you flashed a new BIOS update and now the RAM is running at 4000 MHz? No surprise, it takes at least a couple updates before they get memory straighten around on a new chipset. I'm glad that's all it was. Good luck.

LOL, ok, I'm having trouble understanding. Sounds like you flashed a new BIOS update and now the RAM is running at 4000 MHz? No surprise, it takes at least a couple updates before they get memory straighten around on a new chipset. I'm glad that's all it was. Good luck.

correct, install the new bios released today, and only activating the profile xmp worked at 4000mhz..I am very happy, but I want to tighten more ..... lol

Naturally. Don't expect to go too much above DDR4-4200 though. I think we all need to wait for a new BIOS update for those higher clocks with DDR4.

I told you ... first releases usually don't have optimal settings and are missing additional profiles.

I don't remember if I was trying 4 sticks on Z270. For sure I was trying 4x16GB on X299 and got ~3733 max while 3600 was fully stable and 4x8GB on X299 at 4100 what was working pretty stable ( forgot to switch that after tests and I was playing games like that for next 2 days+ ).

4100.jpg

max on X299 in quad channel was 4200 but was losing some channels from time to time ... maybe will be better but I have no time to do anything in last days ( when I'm on the OCF then usually during work :p )

Last edited:
Back