• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GA-8KNXP onboard sound V soundblaster Live

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ninjaism

Registered
I'm just wondering how the 6 channel onboard sound on the GA-8KNXP (Realtek ALC658) would compare with my ageing Soundblaster Live. I would prefer not to use the Live if they are of equal quality as it looks much neater inside with less cards. Also, would there be any noticable performance differance running with the onboard?
The other option is to buy the entry level Audigy but money's a little tight after buying board and processor.
Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
let me start out with the fact that i never had a audigy. but i am running the onboard sound at 5.1 mode, and i have yet to complain. i personally think that it is pretty sweet. others might agree/disagree, but thats my 2 cents.

ps. i kno what you mean, i have a turtle beach laying around, and i dont want to put it into the case, cause it wouldnt look as nice. :)

Ninja check these out:

http://www.soundblaster.com/products/sblive/compare.asp
http://www.realtek.com.tw/products/products1-2.aspx?modelid=2003084

After quickly perusing at these specs, both the SBlive and Realtek chips use the same DAC. Which I'm even surprised about. However, they do not reveal the version of the DAC.

I can tell you from personal experience my Turtle Beach Santa Cruz is noticably different then the onboard audio on this board. (maybe it was the drivers at the time) Also, I believe the SC is not much better than the SBLive...

"usualy" pci cards use less cpu power then the integrated stuff... but i have to say that is rarely a problem anymore, who cares about 0.005% cpu time i mean...
The integrated 5.1, sounds supprisingly well, altho, i have no optic in on the surround, so i cant tell if there is a big diff on that end.. analog signal the realtek should keep you happy. Some games dosent quite love the drivers, but want you to "update" with the WHQL drivers from gigabytes site.
Other then that, i cant think of any "problems"
B!

Excellent. Thanks guys.
I think I might run a few tests using the onboard and the Live to see if there is any noticeable difference before deciding what to do. Hopefully, I wont need to splash out on an Audigy yet.

Back