• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GA-M57SLI-S4 REV2.0 instability

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

killj0y

Specs:
ga-m57sli-s4 rev2.0
athlon xp 5200+ 1mb l2x2 2.6ghz
crucial ballstix ram 2 gb, matching 1gb sticks.
nvidia 9800 sc evga

I have spuratic BSOD, the ram has never acted right in this computer... my ram actually runs slower then it should.... it only gets 1.8v from my MOBO, and if i change timings and increase voltage it just doesn't start. it's at something like 5-5-5-18 or a little higher right now, its suppose to be 4-4-4-12.

Also, I can not flash the bios on my board, it just doesn't want to flash when i try it. Says incorrect bios.

Take one stick of ram out at a time and test each one in turn while in the machine with Memtest86+ for 3-4 passes. My guess is you have bad ram. There were a lot of problems with the Crucial Ballistix series and this is well-documented. I had a pair of Ballistix DDR2 800 that would not run at advertised speeds and voltages. I RMAd them and went with Mushkin.

Last edited:
thanks trent,
i've ran memtest once before to no advial, but i'll most definately try it again. I've started the RMA proccess because i do believe your right, this ram has been crap since i bought it for 70 bucks, i was just looking for good performance but it didn't deliver.

has anyone had any experiences with this motherboard? i'd like to hear about them.. thanks!

thanks trent,
i've ran memtest once before to no advial, but i'll most definately try it again. I've started the RMA proccess because i do believe your right, this ram has been crap since i bought it for 70 bucks, i was just looking for good performance but it didn't deliver.

has anyone had any experiences with this motherboard? i'd like to hear about them.. thanks!

It might be a good idea to search for this board on NewEgg to see what their customers' experience was. I looked it up and scanned the reviews on Egg and there were quite a few reports of problems. How long have you had it? Did you get it new? Was it running well before the Crucial Ballistix upgrade?

When there is a revision of a board it can be a tip off that there were problems. Hopefully, the revision fixed them.

Back