• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

galvanic corrosief (and cathodic protection)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kiyal

Heey again ^^

So I decided on my components and got the next metals in my system:
CPU block: Gold
GPU blocks: Nickel
Radiator: Brass
Silver kill coil
Now, gold and silver don't work well with brass. So I was thinking of using a sacrificial zink annode.
I read something about overprotection. What are the dangers? How do I know what annode to use?

Many thanks in advance ^^

A gold CPU block? Brass radiator? What is with all the complication for a simple PC water loop friend?

Have a read at the sticky threads in this section so you can get a running knowledge of what you are doing. Once you read that...you can see you are able to simply order CPU/GPU blocks as well as radiators that have none of these potential issues. Don't make it harder than it is. :)

If your cpu block is gold plated on inside (ie gold touches water) like gold/plexi Ek supremecy evo, then just dont use silver coil. If gold plated on outside (not touching water) then doesnt matter.

But if worried about corrosion, or nickel/gold plating, just use anti-corrosion fluid like EK recommends, if your gold plated is the supremecy evo. You can use distilled water and add something like feser base corrosion blocker concentrate, you will still have 98% distilled and it will have the anti-corrosion and biocide built in....the biocide will be better than silver, and the anti-corrosion protection better than sacrificial anode. Although EK's warranty may make you use EK fluids for anti-corrosion, in which case you need to follow their instructions if you have their blocks.

Like Earthdog said, you are needlessly making it more difficult by mixing metals, again by adding silver (to mix metal loop), and again by using a sacrificial anode.

Per the EK website even the EK Supremacy EVO Gold is Copper, though it looks more gold than copper. Maybe it's anodized?

http://www.ekwb.com/shop/blocks/cpu-blocks/supremacy-evo/ek-supremacy-evo-gold.html

On eBay, there's alot of chinese sellers of various copper electrical connectors who advertise the connectors as being gold plated. In the photos and even in person they do appear when fresh out the bag "shiny" as if they are gold plated. But many turn out to be nothing more then acid dipped and chemical treated to get the appearance. After some time the copper starts to oxidize and lose it's luster.

Just like the nickle blocks, I would assume a gold plating process to the copper Blaylock.

Per the EK website even the EK Supremacy EVO Gold is Copper, though it looks more gold than copper. Maybe it's anodized?

http://www.ekwb.com/shop/blocks/cpu-blocks/supremacy-evo/ek-supremacy-evo-gold.html

I had read the blurb and thought it said gold plate...but read it again and it was using words "cold plate"....well just read CSQ blurb and it does say gold plated on that one....so not sure about evo, but supremecy looks like gold plated internals for sure.
http://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-supremacy-clean-csq-gold.html

Last edited:
the CPU block is the ek supremacy EVO gold (should have told that in my post :3 sorry), and i automaticly assumed it was gold plated, thanks to you guys i realised its copper :3
i got the brass radiator for free, so yea, trying to use that one

so that means, no corrosion problems anymore, as long as i use biocide instead of a kill coil.

thank you so much guys ^^

There are only a few "Gold Edition" CPUs and were very limited. They've been sold out now unless you get lucky on one.

As for EK nickel, I am reading that you're better off using deadwater as a biocide with your distilled water than a silver kill coil because I've heard and read that EK recommends you don't use a kill coil with their nickel. Some type of bad reaction might happen.

The only metal you should really steer away from is aluminum. Aluminum is galvanic corrosion on steroids. Regardless, most reputed companies don't use aluminum in their internals.

As said before, have a read at the water cooling stickies and take your time on this. No rush.

Back