• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Games cause computer to crash (Windows 64-bit)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shadewraith

Registered
I just got done putting together my new computer. The components:

Motherboard: MSI 890FX
Processor: AMD 1090T
Graphics: Sapphire 2GB 5870
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws (4GB)
PSU: Corsair HX750
HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Black

After getting everything together and installing Windows 7 Professional (64-bit), I decided to install Battlefield: Bad Company 2. Started it up and as soon as I hit "New Game", I get a black screen with some weird noise coming from my speakers. Tried hitting Ctrl+Alt+Del and nothing. Same with the Windows key. I had to restart. I tried running it again and the same thing happened, except it didn't even get to the title screen. Tried deleting some of the settings files, running it in dx9, running as admin, and I get the same results.

I gave up on that game and decided to install Crysis. I'm getting the exact same problems on start up.

I never had this problem on my Windows XP system. I had a lower end graphics card, processor, etc and games ran just fine, including the ones I just installed on my new system. This is leading me to believe that it's the OS, but I could be wrong.

Does anybody have a fix for this or a reason as to why this is going on? I've searched a few forums and a lot of people seem to have this problem, but I can't find any answers.

cpuzq.png

Slot #2 of the SPD tab have the same numbers.

Did you install the mobo chipset drivers from the CD for the O/S? Do you have the latest BIOS for your mobo? Have you run Prime 95, OCCT, IntelBurn or similar stress test applications to see if your new build is stable? You may want to disable Cool and Quiet and C1E in the BIOS and try stability testing with the above software. Once your system passes these tests then you can determine if you have a games and O/S issue.

I'm downloading said stress tests now. I don't know what Cool and Quiet or C1E are. I'm guessing the first has to do with fans. Could you let me know what they are before I go and disable them? Thanks!

Read this. It's Dolk's guide should give you an idea what to do. What beenthere said those are in your BIOS.

Last edited:
But I'm not looking for overclocking help. I'm trying to get help as to why games cause my computer to go to a black screen and crash. My processor is at stock speeds.

But I'm not looking for overclocking help. I'm trying to get help as to why games cause my computer to go to a black screen and crash. My processor is at stock speeds.

If you read it you can get a general idea on how your things should be set up.

You should go into your BIOS and disable CnQ and C1E.

Cool and Quiet and C1E impact the CPU operating frequency/power states and cooling fan. These can cause issues under high load conditions like gaming or stress testing. By disabling them your CPU will run at it's full speed all the time as will the CPU cooling fan. It's perfectly safe and the preferred settings for gaming and HD PC use. It's the way all CPUs and fans use to function.

I've been trying to run OCCT, but after a while my monitor will go to sleep and it won't turn back on. The only way to get my monitor to turn back on again is to restart the computer. I don't know if this is because of the stress tests or something else, but it's making it hard for me to find out what's wrong with my computer.

Next thing i would do would be download and run memtest86+, or superpi(run the 32m test). Both of those are ram tests.

Something is not happy in your computer.

I'm having the same problem when running furmark. Screen goes black and I have to restart. I can't even stress test my machine. I know I have good air flow. My case is the HAF-X and I've got the 200mm intake on both the front and side, 2 200mm exhaust fans at the top, and 1 140mm exhaust in the back.

Here's a pic of my idle temps as well:
tempsp.png

I hope someone can help me with this.

superpi:
superpij.png

Not sure what this will tell you, but I hope it helps.

Like I said, when I try to run furmark or games, my screen goes black forcing a restart. Do you think it could my video card? Are there any tests to find out?

I bet it's your ram. I have the same ram you have and it doesn't like to be at low voltage. Bump it to 1.650v then test. If your system seems stable then set the timing to 7-8-7-24(View CPUID SPD tab). I also see that your ram is running at 1333 and not 1600 which is the ram's default.

Last edited:
I set my voltage to 1.651v (closest it would go to 1.650v). How do I set the timing? Couldn't find it in the BIOS.

Did you test to see if your system is stable? Setting the timing on the ram can lead to more stability issues.

I'm running memtest right now. To test 4gb it says I have to run two instance simultaneously. I have them both set to test 2000mb each. I'll post again in about 20 minutes when the test is done.

No errors in memtest. Still can't figure out how to change the timing in the bios

Back