• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gaming build, 1200-1300 budget. Need advice.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Achaia

Registered
Hello all,

I plan to build a gaming PC that's between the 1200-1300 price range.

I'll list some notes to help you get an idea of my needs:
  • I would like the possibility to overclock.
  • I won't be streaming, or using a dual monitor setup, or run a 4K monitor.
  • I want a good 1080p monitor (not sure if a 1440p would fit my budget).
  • Not really a huge fan of SLI setups. I'd rather have a single card that's quite good.

Here are some games of which I will be playing:
  • League of Legends
  • Tomb Raider
  • Bioshock Infinite
  • Transistor
  • Starcraft 2
  • Diablo 3
  • Alien: Isolation
  • GTA V
  • Heroes of the Storm
  • Dota 2
  • Skyrim
  • Path of Exile
  • FIFA 15 (very occasionally)

Couple of concerns:
  • I am having a major dilemma whether to go with nVidia or AMD for the GPU. I'm hearing lots of complaints about the VRAM issue with the 970s/980s, and how a R9 290X can be a lot more of a superior choice. But I've always liked nVidia better, and would like to stick with that. I really need advice picking between the two.
  • I've been on and off picking between the mobo I listed and an MSI Gaming 5 (won't really fit my colour scheme).
  • I need help picking a CPU cooler that's not bluky and humongous (think: 212 EVO and Noctua's NH-D14).

Here is my list so far: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/JgKZK8

Thanks for the help.

I'd go with the ASUS board as far as those choices are concerned, but the ASRock Extreme4 is a pretty solid choice in that price range too. The rest looks pretty solid, even overkill. If your sticking with 1080p, you could drop down to the 970 and save some cash. If you find a 1440p monitor you like, or you think it may be an upgrade path, keep the 980.

I just realized that you don't have a copy of Windows on that list. Do you already have one, or will you need one? If you need one, dropping to the 970 may be the best way to save some money for it, and then you could move the leftover funds over for a new monitor.

I was looking at the same board you linked also, it's just that it has too much blue and goes against my colour scheme. I wanted one with a neutral colour, sort of.

As far as the monitor goes, yeah, I wanted the 980 so I can solidify my build overall for future upgrades. Any monitors you could recommend, be it 1080 or 1440?

How well will a 980 handle a 1440 monitor?

I do, yeah. I have all my peripherals and a copy of 8.1 already.

A 980 should handle 1440 fine. I know very little about 1080/1440p monitors these days, most of my recent research was on 4k. I'm sure someone here will have a good recommendation for you though.

Back