• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gaming build: Too easy right? Maybe....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Morta_7L

Hi Overclockers,

New to the forum. Kinda green on all the over clocking tech but I I did my research ( probably need more of course) so I want to share my build (havent purchased yet) and ask a very redundant question. Do I really need to water cool this build to play games like Witcher 3, BF4, Fallout 4, Far Cry Primal and upcoming games like Division and so on. My goal is superb graphics and gameplay. I want a 32" 4k monitor but I do know that most games dont fully support the whole experience ( or so I have read) but I want to be ready.

Here we go:

Intel i7 6700k -CPU
Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero Aphla - mobo
Samsung 850 EVO 1-TB - SSD
G.Skill Ripjaws 32G - RAM
Dual (SLI) EVGA 980 ti 6G -GPU'S
EVGA 1000w - PSU

Case, Air cooling and or Watercooling is to be determined. I've picked out a few cases, but I am getting mixed views on people that run SLI on 980 ti. The battle is between watercooling and air cooling.

I've taken the past month to research Watercooling and it makes sense until you see $120 for one waterblock, and that you need one for CPU, mobo, and GPU with also good air flow for the rads to do their job, on top of needing two separate loops to cool the GPU's and another for the CPU and mobo (dual sli). It's like over 1k just for all the hardware. So my question is....if the only "over clocking" I am going to do is to support a 4k ready setup ( if my build even can, but that's why I am posting it here) is there a air cooling option such as full tower case with a good fan configuration that can accommodate a SLI GPU setup with 980 ti?

Summary: is there a way to air cool a Rig like this without running into problems? I am the noob kinda guy that uses MSI afterburner on "gaming mode", lmfao. But I do want my setup to be Upgradeable to a higher standard as I continue learning and actually experience what I am getting into.

Thanks!

Last edited:
There is no reason you cannot aircool that rig if you don't intend to overclock.

Welcome!!!

1. That's a ton of ram... are you going to use or be close to 16gb? If not stick with 2x8gb and upgrade if ever needed.
2. You can cool this easily on air.
3. You do not need to cool everything. Cooling a motherboard is for looks anyway, so you would need cpu block and 2 gpu blocks. One loop is fine for all of that with a good pump. Or, just cool the cpu... and let the gpus go on air.
4. Most any full tower case will have good airflow. You can get a board and cards that help with airflow by spacing out pcie slots and getting double slot cooled 980ti's.
5. You are already going after some pretty high end stuff really... you could spend less on a different motherboard and still accomplish your goals... all on air. ;)

I may get backlash for saying this, but to me overclocking is best done on lower end components to ring out the most performance and save money. Your computer doesn't need overclocked, it will in fact do almost anything mainstream on the planet for the next 2-3 years.

I in fact suggest a more modest build, with only 16GB RAM and good air cooling.

The idea is sound, but the problem, particularly on amd processors, is that you NEED high cooling and a high end motherboard to push very far. On intel, most any will be fine, but cheap components and overclocking isn't a good idea in either case. I have to imagine you meant low end cpus. ;)

There are plenty of tangible benefits from overclocking as well as some just find it fun to tinker and push the limits like the benching team. You did just join OVERCLOCKERS.com you know. :p

Last edited:
I guess you're right. To get off-topic for a second, I remember a time when overclocking back in the Core 2 Duo days would turn a $130 CPU like the E4300 into a $1000 Core 2 Extreme at stock. Maybe I'm just pessimistic that there isn't quite that turnaround these days. Or maybe it's just that Intel is selling cheaper, better CPUs that is probably thanks to competition from AMD. But I digress.

I guess what I'm saying is, is there is a time to overclock, and a time not to. However, that is a decision people have to make for themselves. For example, I would never overclock the Pentium N3700 computer I'm getting even if I could because in my case, I prefer low power consumption and better temps. None of that matters, but I'm saying it to back myself up. After all, people can't just say things without examples. Of course you could argue "Just buy a better cooler" in his case.

Also, I joined this community because people were smart, not just for the overclocking. Hope that isn't a problem.

Kind of the opposite is going on really...

1. Intel locked base processors and the bclk. You can only really overclock with K/X cpus which are more expensive than their locked counterparts.
2. This happened because AMD hasn't really been good competition on the high end, but a more bang for your buck good enough processor.
3. That's a neat cpu you are getting a 6W little thing! I'm sure it's great for email and web, but wonder how well it can do productive or game.
4. Yep, that's how it works.. we get a better cooler when we want to overclock. We are nutty here as you will soon see. Go check out the benchmarking section. :)
5. Note also that even a 6W cpu can reach high temps depending on what is cooling it. Think of it this way, a lighter flame is yellow, so is a bonfire... both would be the same temperature, however the bonfire clearly has more energy.

Anyway, I digress as well.. enjoy your stay! :)

@ Scott, I find that most computer communities these days are full of 13 year old regulars that kind of half know what they're doing and half don't, and kind of egg on me when I have an unpopular opinion. The thing is though, when I am egged on, I like for the other side to know completely what they're talking about. And EarthDog is either there or pretty close.

I have many controversial opinions, one of them is that you can do real work on a Pentium N3700, provided that it's customized and not one of those bloatware PCs with 4GB RAM. Or that on rare occasions, when you overclock a CPU, say by 33%, in rare circumstances in some games that are CPU dependent or low resolutions, you can actually somehow get more than a 33% performance increase. Haven't explained that one, but it has happened to me before. On average your performance increase isn't that high though, it isn't even 33% in games.

And many other controversial opinions.

Now regarding the thread at hand, my personal recommendation to the OP is to go i7, 16GB RAM, a single graphics card, and 1080p. But if he wants to be an enthusiast, no one or me is going to stop him.

The thing is though, when I am egged on, I like for the other side to know completely what they're talking about. And EarthDog is either there or pretty close.
Nice.
Hey Earth Doggie, you're pretty close to knowing what you're talking about. :rofl:

You're a wall o text style writer aren't you. I can tell.

Last edited:
Back