• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gaming Headphones?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Viper69

I'm aware gaming headphones have been around for a while. However, I've never used them, never had a need. Though I see people use the microphone to communicate in squad based FPS. I have only cans and buds both with ANC for music listening while traveling etc. That tech I'm very familiar with.

Aside from the communication w/mic feature- are they necessary for modern games?

I've been doing a bit of research of them, and I found these

HyperX Cloud Alpha Wireless > https://hyperx.com/products/hyperx-cloud-alpha-wireless?variant=42135502422173

I'd like to know what people think, sure the battery life is killer, but that aside I have not seen consistent reports on their sound.

Maybe I'm overlooking other models, and more importantly what features should I consider? I don't get the impression that ANC is needed unless you live with kids etc.

I'm open to anything that is quality.

Price point- for now under $400, I'm not a believer that higher prices equals higher quality.

Thanks in advance.

Of the HyperX lineup, the Cloud II is the best they offer, balancing between sound quality and microphone quality, in my opinion. I have had a few of these headsets for different systems I have, and they get the job done well enough.

I have started to use the Logitech G Pro X wired headset, for when I travel, and the mic quality is good, with the sound quality being decent, considering they are closed back.

Primarily I always recommend using separate headphones and microphone, as your selection becomes so much better, but you also don't have the mic hanging around when you don't need it. The Beyerdynamic DT770, DT880 or DT990 headphones, paired with a Schiit Magni or Heretic headphone amp, and you will be super happy with the change from a closed back all in one gaming headset (If your environment allows for open back headphones). For closed back headphones, I know Sennheiser offers some of the best closed back headphones for gaming, and music quality won't suffer at all, either.

For microphones, you can really use anything you like. I have personally been very satisfied with my Elgato Wave 3, but the Blue Yetti microphones are very capable as well, and you of course can also go the route of XLR with more professional grade things if you like, and with the right interface, noise canceling and mic quality adjustments can be made to get that perfect sound you want from the microphone, that you just cannot get from any gaming headset.

Just my 2 cents...

Of the HyperX lineup, the Cloud II is the best they offer, balancing between sound quality and microphone quality, in my opinion. I have had a few of these headsets for different systems I have, and they get the job done well enough.

I have started to use the Logitech G Pro X wired headset, for when I travel, and the mic quality is good, with the sound quality being decent, considering they are closed back.

Primarily I always recommend using separate headphones and microphone, as your selection becomes so much better, but you also don't have the mic hanging around when you don't need it. The Beyerdynamic DT770, DT880 or DT990 headphones, paired with a Schiit Magni or Heretic headphone amp, and you will be super happy with the change from a closed back all in one gaming headset (If your environment allows for open back headphones). For closed back headphones, I know Sennheiser offers some of the best closed back headphones for gaming, and music quality won't suffer at all, either.

For microphones, you can really use anything you like. I have personally been very satisfied with my Elgato Wave 3, but the Blue Yetti microphones are very capable as well, and you of course can also go the route of XLR with more professional grade things if you like, and with the right interface, noise canceling and mic quality adjustments can be made to get that perfect sound you want from the microphone, that you just cannot get from any gaming headset.

Just my 2 cents...

Thanks agreed- your selection is better with dedicated units, but it seems cost goes up. I'd only use this for gaming. I have no need for a mic other than gaming, so purchasing one may be pricey, and take up desk space- though I haven't researched them.

I know Beyer, and Senn when I was researching ear buds in my wired Shure days- both of those 2 you mentioned put out quality generally.

What do you mean if "my environment allows for open back headphones"?

I don't need pro-grade. I've heard pro-grad mic, and the sound is always exceptional.

The only thing I don't like about cans is after 4 hours of listening to music w/my Sony XM3's my ears get warm, and so does the rest of me hah. That's why I wonder if I even "need" gaming headphones to begin with.

They only advantage I'm aware of using them is I can crank the volume w/out neighbors getting upset. I do love my sound system, but I don't think my neighbors will, hence the inquiry.

Based on your price point, you should be able to put something similar together. A Schiit Magni 3 amp is $109, beyerdynamics (just as as example), are $160 on amazon, and a blue yetti USB mic is $90. That would put you just around $360 pre-tax. but under the $400 budget.

What I mean by the open-back acceptable environment, is that if you plan to use the headphones around other people, and if the noise bleed would bother them. Usually dependent on where your setup is located (i.e. living room vs. dedicated gaming room/office.

I completely understand the fatigue from long sessions. I primarily recommend beyerdynamics because of their comfort. With their velour pads, firmness of their pads, and the distance they put the headphones from the ear, I no longer get hot ears or any pain from wearing them for hours on end. I find they breath much better than any other brand I have used consistently, which is probably because of the pads.

Another benefit to open back headphones is the soundstage is so much wider. This is most noticeable when playing FPS games, as being able to accurately tell where an enemy is approaching from, or how far they might be, is very beneficial in competitive gaming.

Last edited:
Based on your price point, you should be able to put something similar together. A Schiit Magni 3 amp is $109, beyerdynamics (just as as example), are $160 on amazon, and a blue yetti USB mic is $90. That would put you just around $360 pre-tax. but under the $400 budget.

What I mean by the open-back acceptable environment, is that if you plan to use the headphones around other people, and if the noise bleed would bother them. Usually dependent on where your setup is located (i.e. living room vs. dedicated gaming room/office.

I completely understand the fatigue from long sessions. I primarily recommend beyerdynamics because of their comfort. With their velour pads, firmness of their pads, and the distance they put the headphones from the ear, I no longer get hot ears or any pain from wearing them for hours on end. I find they breath much better than any other brand I have used consistently, which is probably because of the pads.

Another benefit to open back headphones is the soundstage is so much wider. This is most noticeable when playing FPS games, as being able to accurately tell where an enemy is approaching from, or how far they might be, is very beneficial in competitive gaming.

You've sold me on looking into detail on this. Ah, around me I have no worry about people at all.

Question- with a microphone unit it will be further from my mouth vs a headset, never having used either, won't the physics of such a setup mean I'll have to talk louder w/the mic vs a headset? Plus, where does the mic go that doesn't block one's view of the monitor?

Yeah, my Sony's have great ANC, and that's why I get them for being on a flight. But it doesn't make much to heat up on a flight. Unfortunately in-ear buds even with ANC don't provide better sound sea, it's worse. You move your ear itself for a reason and sound creeps in.

Which model Beyer?

I've heard good things about Yeti.

You've sold me on looking into detail on this. Ah, around me I have no worry about people at all.

Question- with a microphone unit it will be further from my mouth vs a headset, never having used either, won't the physics of such a setup mean I'll have to talk louder w/the mic vs a headset? Plus, where does the mic go that doesn't block one's view of the monitor?

Yeah, my Sony's have great ANC, and that's why I get them for being on a flight. But it doesn't make much to heat up on a flight. Unfortunately in-ear buds even with ANC don't provide better sound sea, it's worse. You move your ear itself for a reason and sound creeps in.

Which model Beyer?

I've heard good things about Yeti.
With a dedicated microphone, you can adjust the gain, which will make it more or less sensitive to how much it picks up. Most USB microphones come with a desk stand, which is fine, but you will usually have the mic right in front of you on the desk, or so far away that you have to turn the gain up to the point that it will pickup everything going on in the room. The best thing to do is get a cheap boom arm for it, which can clamp to the side of the desk, but also allows you to stow it out of the way when not in use.

I used this cheap boom arm with great success, until I added the Elgato shock mount and pop filter, which added too much weight and I had to upgrade. It should handle a blue yetti without accessories just fine, and I know it can do the Elgato Wave 3 without accessories:.

Beyerdynamic 770, 880 and 990 are all very good, but a lot of people say the highs on the 990s are too pronounced (I never experienced harsh highs, myself). The 770 and 880 seem to be pretty well rounded, with decent bass and treble, with emphasis on mids (average Beyerdynamic sound signature). I personally use the DT1990 Pro, but it is also my endgame headphones.

Here you can see how my boom arm stows behind my monitors so the mic isn't in the way when not in use, and I have it swing and reach over the top of the center monitor when I need it.

20230529_174442.jpg 20230529_174539.jpg

With a dedicated microphone, you can adjust the gain, which will make it more or less sensitive to how much it picks up. Most USB microphones come with a desk stand, which is fine, but you will usually have the mic right in front of you on the desk, or so far away that you have to turn the gain up to the point that it will pickup everything going on in the room. The best thing to do is get a cheap boom arm for it, which can clamp to the side of the desk, but also allows you to stow it out of the way when not in use.

I used this cheap boom arm with great success, until I added the Elgato shock mount and pop filter, which added too much weight and I had to upgrade. It should handle a blue yetti without accessories just fine, and I know it can do the Elgato Wave 3 without accessories:.

Beyerdynamic 770, 880 and 990 are all very good, but a lot of people say the highs on the 990s are too pronounced (I never experienced harsh highs, myself). The 770 and 880 seem to be pretty well rounded, with decent bass and treble, with emphasis on mids (average Beyerdynamic sound signature). I personally use the DT1990 Pro, but it is also my endgame headphones.

Here you can see how my boom arm stows behind my monitors so the mic isn't in the way when not in use, and I have it swing and reach over the top of the center monitor when I need it.

View attachment 362074View attachment 362075

Thanks for the images! That's helpful. The 1990's are out of my price range I'm willing to spend just for gaming.

Have you ever tried Grado's

Re Beyer, I checked on amazon the 770s come in three different impedence values, higher impedence provides better sound quality. What do you recommend for gaming?

I have used Grado's! I have used stock, and modified SR-60 series, SR-80 series, and the SR-120i. The SR-60 sounds the smoothest, but also the most average. There isn't anything that stands out about them. The SR-80 has more clarity, but pretty hard highs. The SR-120 reminds me of the Beyerdynamic 880. I have a set of very custom built and modified SR-80, and they closely match the RS-1. Grado is awesome for short listening sessions, and outstanding when paired with a tube amplifier for music enjoyment, but I cannot recommend them for gaming because of how uncomfortable they are during long sessions, even with their G cushion pads, which barely make them sit around the ear a bit.

Keep in mind that Grado's headphones sit directly on your ears/earlobes, instead of around them. The Beyerdynamic headphones will seem huge at first, but the way they put zero pressure on your ears is what makes them soo comfortable.

For the 770s, I would go with the 80 ohm, which would give you some flexibility of use, as it would be pretty easy to drive them without an amplifier. I personally use the 250 ohm, but my headphones are not strictly gaming, they are multipurpose.

I wouldn't call myself a audiophile or even a professional, I am only casual in the audio scene, but I want something to sound as good as possible, comfortable, at the most reasonable price I can. Thus why the Schiit Asgard 3 and DT 1990 Pro is my end game headphone setup. I cannot justify spending more money on it without feeling intense diminishing returns, and the headphones kind of kick into that territory lol.

I have used Grado's! I have used stock, and modified SR-60 series, SR-80 series, and the SR-120i. The SR-60 sounds the smoothest, but also the most average. There isn't anything that stands out about them. The SR-80 has more clarity, but pretty hard highs. The SR-120 reminds me of the Beyerdynamic 880. I have a set of very custom built and modified SR-80, and they closely match the RS-1. Grado is awesome for short listening sessions, and outstanding when paired with a tube amplifier for music enjoyment, but I cannot recommend them for gaming because of how uncomfortable they are during long sessions, even with their G cushion pads, which barely make them sit around the ear a bit.

Keep in mind that Grado's headphones sit directly on your ears/earlobes, instead of around them. The Beyerdynamic headphones will seem huge at first, but the way they put zero pressure on your ears is what makes them soo comfortable.

For the 770s, I would go with the 80 ohm, which would give you some flexibility of use, as it would be pretty easy to drive them without an amplifier. I personally use the 250 ohm, but my headphones are not strictly gaming, they are multipurpose.

I wouldn't call myself a audiophile or even a professional, I am only casual in the audio scene, but I want something to sound as good as possible, comfortable, at the most reasonable price I can. Thus why the Schiit Asgard 3 and DT 1990 Pro is my end game headphone setup. I cannot justify spending more money on it without feeling intense diminishing returns, and the headphones kind of kick into that territory lol.

I've heard the 60s were pretty good, that was a long time ago. I've never owned a Grado, and don't know anyone who has hah. OH, I'll pass after reading the above, that's disappointing. I had a feeling they sat directly on the ear- pass!

Same as you, want the best money can buy for my ears. Some day I'm getting a pair of Martin Logans! Some day...

I'll go with 80 Ohm's for flexibility. Appreciate the input...I'm still thinking about all this. But if I pull the trigger I'll go this route.

Oh..in your picture the microphone is above your head- sure there's no issues with speaking into it compared to a headset?

I've heard the 60s were pretty good, that was a long time ago. I've never owned a Grado, and don't know anyone who has hah. OH, I'll pass after reading the above, that's disappointing. I had a feeling they sat directly on the ear- pass!

Same as you, want the best money can buy for my ears. Some day I'm getting a pair of Martin Logans! Some day...

I'll go with 80 Ohm's for flexibility. Appreciate the input...I'm still thinking about all this. But if I pull the trigger I'll go this route.

Oh..in your picture the microphone is above your head- sure there's no issues with speaking into it compared to a headset?
No problems at all. I have the gain set to about 25% (second step), and I angle it slightly downwards. It sounds just about as good as speaking directly into it, with the slightest bit of background noise that gets picked up from time to time. I probably have some echo/reverb when in discord calls because of the three monitors and no sound treatment around the desk, but I only every use my mic for gaming and work calls/webinars (overkill for work use lol).

Last edited:
No problems at all. I have the gain set to about 25% (second step), and I angle it slightly downwards. It sounds just about as good as speaking directly into it, with the slightest bit of background noise that gets picked up from time to time. I probably have some echo/reverb when in discord calls because of the three monitors and no sound treatment around the desk, but I only every use my mic for gaming and work calls/webinars (overkill for work use lol)

Thanks a lot very helpful.

I know wired is better than wireless for sound w/cans. Is the cord for Beyer's noticeable? For example, when you move your head and such do you notice the wire? I had a SteelSensei MOUSE and while it was corded, and braided it turned out the braid was too stiff, and so when I move that mouse in even normal use at times, I have to "fight" w/the cord a time or two. Not the case w/my wired Glorious Gaming mouse- has a much softer wire, like clothing for texture.

I have the HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset for use when I am moving around a lot, or not directly at the computer, and it gets the job done pretty well. The sound is similar to the Cloud II wired headphones, but a little less bass.

I have not had any issues with the cords on the Beyer's. The 770 and 880 that I had were coiled cords, but not cheap ones, and I have never had any of their cables being microphonic (hearing noise in the headset from the cord rubbing against something). If you look at the picture of my setup, you will notice a small connector under the top of the desk, just to the left of the keyboard tray. I have my headphone jack mounted remotely from the amp (thus the looped cable coming from the amp's headphone jack). The remotely mounted headphone jack keep the cord plugged in on my right side, where the cable comes out of the headphones. I have also not had any issues with it pulling or snaging since the cord isn't braided at all. It seems to be pretty well balanced, and clamping force of the headphones is not excessive, but enough to keep them from shifting around on your head.

I hope the info helps to navigate the gaming audio world these days. Prior to 2019, I hadn't touched headphones/mics for gaming since 2004, and I had to figure out what was best on my own. I heard great things about HyperX headsets, but it was from a pretty casual gaming audience, so ear buds would even suffice for most of them. I listen to a ton of music, and needed something more dual purpose, and coming from my dedicated Grado SR-80 headphones, and going to the HyperX, it just didn't cut it. That's when I stated to experiment with Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic, and the Beyer's offered unbelievable comfort, something I hated with the Grado's, and I've been stuck on them for the last 4 years, while missing them dearly when I travel!

The Schiit amps I have been using because of their price to performance is perfect for me. I don't need a completely neutral sound signature, but I don't want something noisy, colorful, or poor in quality. I used the Magni 3+ for two years and it's an amazing amp for how small and cheap it is, but when I got the DT 1990 Pro's, I was looking for the perfect amp to pair with it. The Schiit Asgard 3 was one of two highly recommended amps for the headphones and I've grown a liking to the Schiit quality and pricing since the Magni. The nice thing about the Asgard 3 is I have a DAC and amp together, without needing multiple components, thus helping to keep the cost down and desk space open. The Magni 3 amp, I had paired with a Modi 3 DAC. I don't think the Modi did a lot for me, but it did ensure I had a clean source to amplify!

I have the HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset for use when I am moving around a lot, or not directly at the computer, and it gets the job done pretty well. The sound is similar to the Cloud II wired headphones, but a little less bass.

I have not had any issues with the cords on the Beyer's. The 770 and 880 that I had were coiled cords, but not cheap ones, and I have never had any of their cables being microphonic (hearing noise in the headset from the cord rubbing against something). If you look at the picture of my setup, you will notice a small connector under the top of the desk, just to the left of the keyboard tray. I have my headphone jack mounted remotely from the amp (thus the looped cable coming from the amp's headphone jack). The remotely mounted headphone jack keep the cord plugged in on my right side, where the cable comes out of the headphones. I have also not had any issues with it pulling or snaging since the cord isn't braided at all. It seems to be pretty well balanced, and clamping force of the headphones is not excessive, but enough to keep them from shifting around on your head.

I hope the info helps to navigate the gaming audio world these days. Prior to 2019, I hadn't touched headphones/mics for gaming since 2004, and I had to figure out what was best on my own. I heard great things about HyperX headsets, but it was from a pretty casual gaming audience, so ear buds would even suffice for most of them. I listen to a ton of music, and needed something more dual purpose, and coming from my dedicated Grado SR-80 headphones, and going to the HyperX, it just didn't cut it. That's when I stated to experiment with Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic, and the Beyer's offered unbelievable comfort, something I hated with the Grado's, and I've been stuck on them for the last 4 years, while missing them dearly when I travel!

The Schiit amps I have been using because of their price to performance is perfect for me. I don't need a completely neutral sound signature, but I don't want something noisy, colorful, or poor in quality. I used the Magni 3+ for two years and it's an amazing amp for how small and cheap it is, but when I got the DT 1990 Pro's, I was looking for the perfect amp to pair with it. The Schiit Asgard 3 was one of two highly recommended amps for the headphones and I've grown a liking to the Schiit quality and pricing since the Magni. The nice thing about the Asgard 3 is I have a DAC and amp together, without needing multiple components, thus helping to keep the cost down and desk space open. The Magni 3 amp, I had paired with a Modi 3 DAC. I don't think the Modi did a lot for me, but it did ensure I had a clean source to amplify!

This has been really helpful! I started research cans about the same time as you. I was tired cheap sounding quality. Then I decided to try in ear buds. There was no ANC at that point. I ended up with Shure's, best sound for the price. I moved up the line over time in Shure.
Then traveling and ANC became a thing for me. So I ended up in Sony XM3, which are great for ANC, wireless and wired- no issues for general music consumption. So my purchase plane of getting higher end can's for music never materialized. Moved on from gaming until recently. And well, "now" there's headsets etc etc.

In searching for the Magni, there site lists out of stock, though Amazon has them. Is this the model- the name is slightly different.

Yeah HyperX gets good reviews as a brand I've checked. Not looked as thoroughly, but so does SteelSeries.
Post magically merged:

Love the Steelseries Arctis Pros... :)

Whoa ED..how are you? Was hoping you'd drop in.

I just typed Steel, and poof your messaged dropped in. Never owned gaming headsets, what do you like about them? and anything you don't like?

How is the comfort of the Sony XM3? I was considering getting a pair of them since my air travel is starting to increase, but I have a pair of Beats Studio 2.0 Wireless ANC headphones I have been using for the last 7 years. I typically sleep on the plane, regardless of how short of a flight it may be, so it's hard to justify new ANC cans if I don't really listen to them as much as I use them to drown out noise.

Here's the Magni 3+ on their site, which appears to be in stock. Amazon would essentially be the same price, after shipping.

How is the comfort of the Sony XM3? I was considering getting a pair of them since my air travel is starting to increase, but I have a pair of Beats Studio 2.0 Wireless ANC headphones I have been using for the last 7 years. I typically sleep on the plane, regardless of how short of a flight it may be, so it's hard to justify new ANC cans if I don't really listen to them as much as I use them to drown out noise.

Here's the Magni 3+ on their site, which appears to be in stock. Amazon would essentially be the same price, after shipping.

The comfort is good- you may not think so given your Beyer experience. I mean at 5 hours on a flight my ears get a bit warm, definitely warm if the plane is warm, but they aren't too tight. The XM4s are only slightly better than XM3 not worth it to get 4s. However the 5s are much better than 4s in ANC and sound by reviews. They sound the same to me when tested briefly in airports.

However, the 5's design and case are completely different. I wasn't a fan of the case (soft case, and larger than the other 2), and the head bar doesn't click into place when you adjust for your ears. The 3 and 4 have the same design, and case.

But if you want the best ANC, 5 is your best shot.

I'm a firm believer that if anything has "Gaming" in the title of the product, chances are it's crap. Using a set of Sennheiser HD559 cans and a Logitech C922x for the mic. I don't think having the "gaming mic" from the "gaming headphones" sooo close to my mouth that the other players will hear my tonsils fighting is a fun idea.

Trust me, I heard a guy with one and all we heard was his f***ing chewing :mad:

I'm a firm believer that if anything has "Gaming" in the title of the product, chances are it's crap. Using a set of Sennheiser HD559 cans and a Logitech C922x for the mic. I don't think having the "gaming mic" from the "gaming headphones" sooo close to my mouth that the other players will hear my tonsils fighting is a fun idea.

Trust me, I heard a guy with one and all we heard was his f***ing chewing :mad:

I'm the same with "gaming" in the title. I see them as a compromise between owning 1 unit, and buying components.

But the microphone not being close, I don't know how well that works. My only reference is a speakerphone feature on a phone- granted different tech, but it's all I can compare to.

How do you like Logi?

Logitech is pretty good. I've had dozens of their products and all have performed great. I still have a set of Logitech Z560 speakers which work flawless since 2001.

No complaints of the products I've had.

Logitech is pretty good. I've had dozens of their products and all have performed great. I still have a set of Logitech Z560 speakers which work flawless since 2001.

No complaints of the products I've had.

Same here- but I haven't bought their stuff in a long time, glad to know quality is there still.

Back