• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gaming Headphones?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Viper69

I'm aware gaming headphones have been around for a while. However, I've never used them, never had a need. Though I see people use the microphone to communicate in squad based FPS. I have only cans and buds both with ANC for music listening while traveling etc. That tech I'm very familiar with.

Aside from the communication w/mic feature- are they necessary for modern games?

I've been doing a bit of research of them, and I found these

HyperX Cloud Alpha Wireless > https://hyperx.com/products/hyperx-cloud-alpha-wireless?variant=42135502422173

I'd like to know what people think, sure the battery life is killer, but that aside I have not seen consistent reports on their sound.

Maybe I'm overlooking other models, and more importantly what features should I consider? I don't get the impression that ANC is needed unless you live with kids etc.

I'm open to anything that is quality.

Price point- for now under $400, I'm not a believer that higher prices equals higher quality.

Thanks in advance.

I enjoy my Astro A10s.

The range of sound is deeper. I haven't really tried them with any higher tones other than what gaming and a few songs have provided me.

The mic works great. It's bendable so I can move it closer or further from my mouth so Dino doesn't hear my tonsils bouncing around.

They are heavy and on 80+ degree days longer gaming sessions they do get warm.

But to me they are what gaming headphones are, a compromise. In every aspect there is some sort of compromise.

IMO for $60 it's the best compromise you get without sacrifice durability. My friends have gone through mics, head sets and cords, while my A10s have soldiered on.

Every other sub $100 gaming headset had felt cheap.

If I actually cared about accurate sound reproduction I would buy a $150-250 set of head phones and a separate microphone that works for your use, voice and setup.

Of the HyperX lineup, the Cloud II is the best they offer, balancing between sound quality and microphone quality, in my opinion. I have had a few of these headsets for different systems I have, and they get the job done well enough.

I have started to use the Logitech G Pro X wired headset, for when I travel, and the mic quality is good, with the sound quality being decent, considering they are closed back.

Primarily I always recommend using separate headphones and microphone, as your selection becomes so much better, but you also don't have the mic hanging around when you don't need it. The Beyerdynamic DT770, DT880 or DT990 headphones, paired with a Schiit Magni or Heretic headphone amp, and you will be super happy with the change from a closed back all in one gaming headset (If your environment allows for open back headphones). For closed back headphones, I know Sennheiser offers some of the best closed back headphones for gaming, and music quality won't suffer at all, either.

For microphones, you can really use anything you like. I have personally been very satisfied with my Elgato Wave 3, but the Blue Yetti microphones are very capable as well, and you of course can also go the route of XLR with more professional grade things if you like, and with the right interface, noise canceling and mic quality adjustments can be made to get that perfect sound you want from the microphone, that you just cannot get from any gaming headset.

Just my 2 cents...

I picked up the HyperX Cloud II- I'm returning them. I don't like the wire at all, it's annoying having it hanging around.

However, the other issue which I could not have predicted is the ear cups are a little small. Is there a site that shows the specs of the ear cups?

My Sony XM3's are just large enough to feel OK. This Hyper model a just a bit smaller or so it feels. I'll have to get my calipers to see if the dimensions wider or not. Maybe the circular shape has a different geometry.

They sound fine, the 7.1 sound enhancing is needed though for these cans.

Disappointed here.

I wonder if the HyperX Cloud Alpha - Wireless are any different...

Last edited:
Not sure I explained myself after asked... sorry..

So, any headphone use at my PC is typically games... so I chose a higher quality 'gaming' headphone. The mic, people say, is clear and crisp, and audo reproduction is solid all around (I listen to varying things from rock and roll to rap and even classical ... good low tight bassm. I like the two batteries as well.. not that I play a lot, but you'll never be left without with two batteries.

So, any headphone use at my PC is typically games... so I chose a higher quality 'gaming' headphone. The mic, people say, is clear and crisp, and audo reproduction is solid all around (I listen to varying things from rock and roll to rap and even classical ... good low tight bassm. I like the two batteries as well.. not that I play a lot, but you'll never be left without with two batteries.

What model do you have ED? https://steelseries.com/gaming-headsets/pc?connectivity=wireless

Yeah hard to find a good balance of price, sound quality and mic quality- seems all the gaming ones have something not good for me at least.

I'll look into those as well- need to find out how big the ear cups are. The HyperX Cloud II I tried were too small just a bit.

Last edited:
Sacrifices across gaming headsets is why I recommend separate components, but I do understand keeping the cost down, and I can't blame you for trying out dedicated headsets first. I did as well.

I have a buddy using a Razer Kraken headset which he seems to be pretty happy with. He uses an older wireless model, not with the haptic stuff that new ones come with, but his mic quality is pretty good, and he's happy with the audio quality (I'm not entirely sure what that encompasses, though)

Here is a pic of the pad design of the Cloud II in comparison to the Beyerdynamic DT series.

Attachments

• 20230603_205516.jpg
    20230603_205516.jpg
    393.9 KB · Views: 1
audo reproduction is solid all around (I listen to varying things from rock and roll to rap and even classical ... good low tight bassm.

I'll have to listen to some classical to see how my headphones handle that. For $60 I do not have high hopes, but these headphones have been rock solid otherwise.

Sacrifices across gaming headsets is why I recommend separate components, but I do understand keeping the cost down, and I can't blame you for trying out dedicated headsets first. I did as well.

I have a buddy using a Razer Kraken headset which he seems to be pretty happy with. He uses an older wireless model, not with the haptic stuff that new ones come with, but his mic quality is pretty good, and he's happy with the audio quality (I'm not entirely sure what that encompasses, though)

Here is a pic of the pad design of the Cloud II in comparison to the Beyerdynamic DT series.

I like how large the Beyer's ear cups are, they look wide and deep from what I've seen out there.
Post magically merged:

Did you have to get aftermarket ear cups to make them deeper. I saw the ANC sticks out from the headphone below the phone, and that bothered peeps. Of course everyone's ears and sensitivity to touch are different.

I just realized that freakdiablo has a Schiit Magni 2 for sale in the classifieds too, if you do consider the separate component route.
Sorry, they sold right after you posted.

As far as gaming communications, FWIW, like everything I've been a fan of "dedicated functionality". Like a $150 headset and a $50 desktop mic will be better than a $200 combo. That's just me...

Sorry, they sold right after you posted.

As far as gaming communications, FWIW, like everything I've been a fan of "dedicated functionality". Like a $150 headset and a $50 desktop mic will be better than a $200 combo. That's just me...

I agree, dedicated units for purpose-built use always better.

yeah I looked and it wasn't there.

Back