• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gaming Rig for 460$ - NextGen console Killer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Who's gonna use 32GB of RAM first of all? 4x4 would have been fine. An M500? Do you know how old those are?
A TR true? This calls for a 140/150mm dual tower HSF dude. True is not good enough IMO.

Corsair RM PSUs like to roll over and die.

ASRock's low end X99 looks more promising than ASUS.

Rosewill makes garbage (again, IMO)

Who's gonna use 32GB of RAM first of all? 4x4 would have been fine.

It makes sense.

An M500? Do you know how old those are?

2 years old.
My M4 old too, but works just perfect.

A TR true? This calls for a 140/150mm dual tower HSF dude. True is not good enough IMO.

Then Noctua NH-D14. I have it and I love it. It has perfect polished base.

Corsair RM PSUs like to roll over and die.

Enermax, Seasonic, EVGA?

I think Enermax...

ASRock's low end X99 looks more promising than ASUS.

I'm worrying about BIOS stability and functions.
ASUS is very nice in overclocking and stability.

It makes sense.

2 years old.
My M4 old too, but works just perfect.

Then Noctua NH-D14. I have it and I love it. It has perfect polished base.

Enermax, Seasonic, EVGA?

I think Enermax...

I'm worrying about BIOS stability and functions.
ASUS is very nice in overclocking and stability.

Please explain to me why 32GB of RAM makes sense in a 4K gaming machine?
Why are you using 4GB DIMMS instead of 8GB DIMMS?

Why didn't you suggest the NHD14 in the first place?

Honestly, why X99 at all? You could get the same performance out of a 4790K and 16GB of high speed DDR3 on a cheaper motherboard for less money. You'd save enough to go to 290X's. If this is a "4K gaming with a side of E-Peen" setup, keep it X99 but if its "Best performance for 4K gaming for X money", you should go Z97.

I'm reminded of "Hiiii guuuuuys, this is Auuustin"'s X99/5960X "gaming computer"
Enermax? Better than Seasonic? No

Last edited:
Please explain to me why 32GB of RAM makes sense in a 4K gaming machine?

I mean 16 Gb makes sense, not 32.

Why didn't you suggest the NHD14 in the first place?

Well, my mate have True Spirit Power 140mm and it makes really good. His 8320 works at 4.6Ghz constantly.
So, I guess 4.1-4.2 on the 5820 will be completely fine. Just wanted to save couple bucks.

Honestly, why X99 at all? You could get the same performance out of a 4790K and 16GB of high speed DDR3 on a cheaper motherboard for less money. You'd save enough to go to 290X's. If this is a "4K gaming with a side of E-Peen" setup, keep it X99 but if its "Best performance for 4K gaming for X money, you should go Z97.

Because it has massive amount of upgrade-ability. One can switch from 6 cores 12 threads to 8 core 16 threads in future. (in a 3-4 years) and it's still be very very powerful solution, unlike Z97 can give the same NOW but have no future in terms of scale upgrade. Z97 is restricted inside of 4 cores 8 threads and Broadwell will change nothing in this case. Anyway Z97 is the best for it's money and it worth to be considered as well. ( in terms of gaming performance)

If I am on the market for 2000$ rig. I would take X99 + 5820 because I respect such thing as "performance margin" and upgrade-ability of the platform. But if we talk about gaming money-performance ratio just for today\present time purpose - Z97 wins.

I'm reminded of "Hiiii guuuuuys, this is Auuustin"'s X99/5960X "gaming computer"... with 4 whole cores that will almost never get used.

Well. When 5960X and X99 appeared, all bloggers regarded as matter of course to make such review.
But actually this thing is massive, it allows to render FullHD with special effects in real-time mode easily, and some overclocked systems makes it 2 times faster than real time. So amount of performance is stunning.

Speaking about Z97 Build.
Here is my vision.

Let me know what do you think about this build.

Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler
ASRock Fatal1ty Z97X Killer ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Hitachi Ultrastar 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card (2-Way SLI)
Fractal Design Define R5 ATX Mid Tower Case
Enermax 850W 80+ Platinum Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

Total: $1744.35

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/pqVZjX

I think it's perfect gaming rig for 4K.

Optional:

- 970GTXs can be switched to R9 290 and it will save about 200$ on this build.
- 16Gb of DDR3 if user deal with 3D modelling or graphics editing.

Not sure why are you like enermax psus. They are ok. One line was great hears ago, otherwise, for the most part, they are stuck in mediocrity.

Again, for 4k, it's better to run amd at 4k due to its bus width.

I honestly feel like you are taking credit for our effort here. Your builds if left alone, leave a lot to be desired as far as best parts for a given price range or purpose and fan misguise others. Personally I would look around and learn for a few months more before you publishing things like this. As it stands it's the blind leading the blind when left alone.

Again, for 4k, it's better to run amd at 4k due to its bus width.

Theoretically Yes. Practically No.
970 wins in all aspects (Low, average, high FPS) even in 4k.
I'm not mentioning now that almost all of them work at 1500 mgh on core, after overclock.

Noise, heat, power consumption, overclocking - all this accepts much better on 970 GTX.

Not sure why are you like enermax psus. They are ok. One line was great hears ago, otherwise, for the most part, they are stuck in mediocrity.

Enermax quality is very good.

Basically, it could be any 80+ Gold certified PSU at 850w. Even FSP Aurum which is very nice PSU for it's money.

Theoretically Yes. Practically No.
970 wins in all aspects (Low, average, high FPS) even in 4k.
I'm not mentioning now that almost all of them work at 1500 mgh on core, after overclock.

Noise, heat, power consumption, overclocking - all this accepts much better on 970 GTX.

Basically, it could be any 80+ Gold certified PSU at 850w. Even FSP Aurum which is very nice PSU for it's money.

I would wager EarthDog has spent about 1000x the amount of time you have on research and has quite the repertoir of knowledge at this point, so please don't argue with him and shoot down everything he says. If he tells you AMD has an advantage at 4K because of bus width, it's because AMD has an advantage at 4K because of bus width. Not because he's pulling that information out of where the sun don't shine.

Again, don't take my words as insulting, they're not. I'm just reading what I can from the situation and that's the conclusion I've come to.

Seriously man why don't you talk on the forums for a while as a student, not a teacher. You'll learn a thing or two and can become a teacher in the subject and a preacher in a year or so.

No. It's not. And No, it couldn't be "any gold PSU". There are GARBAGE gold rated PSUs out there with very short life expectancies.

Have you ever been on JohnnyGuru?

To be fair, it depends on the setting you game with. If you don't bother to use AA, the 970 will be fine. And at 4K, you don't really need AA (depends - its still an improvement and there are other factors). However, if you try to run 4x or more in heavy titles, the AMD cards will show their might.

Here is a link: http://www.techspot.com/review/898-geforce-gtx-970-sli-4k-gaming/page2.html. I think in one title it was a tie, I think it one in another, and the rest were losses. Granted, this was at unplayable FPS all below 3, so this is where 1-2 FPS matter. You can see how they scale as well. ;)

No doubt the 970 wins out in power use and resolutions less than 4k though.

Last edited:
I would wager EarthDog has spent about 1000x the amount of time you have on research and has quite the repertoir of knowledge at this point, so please don't argue with him and shoot down everything he says. If he tells you AMD has an advantage at 4K because of bus width, it's because AMD has an advantage at 4K because of bus width. Not because he's pulling that information out of where the sun don't shine.

I know that this GPUs are very close to each other. And definitely I'm not taking this from nowhere.
I've been using R9 290X for a year already.
My impression - It's freaking hot brick. I have stock cooler on it. It's extremely noisy but also efficient.
The fan curves are set up in MSI AB. So basically I try to keep core temperatures in 65-70c, vrm has the same temperatures.
It's freaking noisy! I'm playing only with headphones. And this is only 1 GPU.

We are talking about 2 GPUs with NOT stock cooler but aftermarket 3-fans Gigabyte edition.

I'm not trying to talk like a teacher here.

Do you know how much heat radiates this ****? )
It will be at least 500w of heat-power inside a case + CPU overclocked to 4-4.2 which radiates about 130w.
The one should need to install 7-8 120mm fans (about 1500rpm each one) to unload all this heat from the case. So it will be pretty noisy PC.

While with 970Gtx we will have at least 200 less heat inside of the case.

Where I'm wrong? )

P.s.

I've told already - 2x R9 290 will be like option in this config. People ask me to build Intel + Nvidia rig.

P.p.s.

Don't even start about FSP Aurum. ) It's very good PSU and I love it. Coil noise - yes.. sometimes, but it worth it's money.

I think I'm going to follow Earthdog's lead and step back. My words are falling on def ears. YanWest- when you make a video in English PM it to me so I can watch it.

Back