• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gateway P7805u upgrade???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mjrose927

I just started playing Diablo 3 this past week with the new expansion coming out. My old FX laptop seems to run the game well except 30-60minutes into running this game it freezes. The only way to unfreeze it is to hard reboot it by holding down the power button.

Here are the stats of my machine:

Gateway P-7805u
Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo CPU P8400 @ 2.26GHz 2.27GHz
4 GB RAM
64bit OS Vista

I have recently defragged hard drive, clean disk computer to have 150GB free of hard drive space, change battery usage to performance, and removed anything extra from the computer for the most part except Diablo 3 and the OS. This is not the first game that has done this in the last year or so. It has happened on the last 2 games that I have tried to play as well.

Has this machine reached the limits of the capability of the hardware? is upgrading this machine worth the cost? Can it be upgraded to prevent the freezing? What is causing the freezing? I don't have much money to put out right now, but would appreciate any help, recommendations, and options.

I am a neophite when it comes to computer upgrading and hardware. Please, speak in small easy to understand words and explanations. :D

Thanks in advance....
M

Additional information on my problem....

Last night using a very helpful youtube video, I took my laptop apart to inspect the fans and get part information on fans to replace. A couple people told me it sounded like a cooling issue. What I found was disturbing.

I found a dust bunny the size of a cotton ball clogging my heat sink and fan exhaust. I spent 3 hours taking it apart, cleaning it, and reassembling it, but I ran Diablo 3 last night for over an hour and a half without any issues. The computer ran noticeably cooler (obviously) to the touch. I plan to try to increase graphics details today.

Another question, I have after taking apart my laptop is I noticed i only have one hard drive. Is the gateway P7805u able to be set up as RAID drives if I get another identical drive? Will the improvement over current power be worth the cost? What or if are there any upgrades worth investing in for this machine at this point. Again, my biggest concern right now that it will play Diablo 3 with my friends and use the internet for email and research.

Machine is still stock with original equipment.

Check your manual to see if it can handle two drives...

That said, I highly doubt it will be worth it to you unless you frequently manipulate large files.

Gateway P7805u upgrade??? Reply to Thread

Thanks for your response. The computer has a second spot for it. I noticed it when I took it apart last night.

Back