• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gearing up to switch to liquid cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

delusionalcooki

I have been contemplating switching over to liquid cooling, and I wanted to come by and run some ideas past someone with experience. I have a Thermaltake Level10 GT case, and would like to keep using it, unless there is a decidedly superior way to go.

Packed inside it is:

Mobo: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
CPU: i7-3930k
GPU: 2x ASUS 2GB GTX670's in SLI
PSU: 1250W OCZ
SDD: 1x 120GB, 2x 256GB
HDD: 1x 3TB
ODD: BD-RW
RAM: 16GB Mushkin Redline

The build is a year and four months old, but it is still plenty powerful. I was thinking about adding a third 670 to the lineup, thoughts? The fans shriek like banshees, and it would be a lot nicer to have it quiet, and I want to o/c the cards.

So here is what I am looking to do: I want to have a reservoir mounted in the unused drive bays, then have two inline pumps bring the coolant to the GPU blocks first. From there it would pass through a 2x120mm radiator mounted at the top of the case and down to the CPU. From the CPU it would go out of the case to an exterior mounted 4x120mm radiator and back into the case, terminating at the reservoir.

So: Reservoir > Pump1 > Pump2 > GPU's > 2x120mm Radiator > CPU >
4x120mm Radiator > Reservoir.

What thickness radiators should I get? What about chipset cooling? is it worth it? Thoughts to improve the loop?

I was considering 3/4" tubing with compression fittings. Is this overkill? Can I make do with 1/2"? Also, If anyone else has a water cooled Level 10 GT, how did you go about doing it?

Anyway, thanks in advance for taking the time to read through this and provide your comments. Always looking to improve my rig, and I would like to do it right, because I am going to have to get these parts piece by piece. Good equipment is expensive, but I would rather not buy bad equipment and wake up to find my rig decided to take a bath.

Before you decide to take this project any further i would read all the stickies on WC. Then when you have a basic understanding of how things work, then read as many WC sites to help you look and fine tune your ideas and also find the parts that will do the job you want. As for tube size i went with 3/4 OD with 1/2 inner OD which for me i felt was the best.

1, http://martinsliquidlab.org/

2, http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...view-triple-radiator-360-roundup-16-rads.html

These are the 2 that i started with and read many times to find the parts i needed. Once you have a rough list of things then come back to the WC Section and ask the members who have been doing this a long time for help and advice!!.

AJ.

Before you decide to take this project any further i would read all the stickies on WC. Then when you have a basic understanding of how things work, then read as many WC sites to help you look and fine tune your ideas and also find the parts that will do the job you want. As for tube size i went with 3/4 OD with 1/2 inner OD which for me i felt was the best.

1, http://martinsliquidlab.org/

2, http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...view-triple-radiator-360-roundup-16-rads.html

These are the 2 that i started with and read many times to find the parts i needed. Once you have a rough list of things then come back to the WC Section and ask the members who have been doing this a long time for help and advice!!.

AJ.

:thup: +1

With that case I've seen some mod it but barely fit the radiators needed internally. Usually rule of thumb is 120.2 per chip whether you want it quiet or not since it will have OCing headroom. More heat surface will give you lower temps.

Read up as AJ stated and also google search TT Level 10 GT + Watercooling to give you an idea how it all would look. To be honest that case wasn't designed for H20. If you have the funds and don't want to mod or hang things on the outside, there are many H20 ready case designs out there if budget permits it.

Back