• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GeFroce 9800 GX2 Pics and Specs!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The fact that you will likely be paying $600 or so for something that offers minimal performance over something half it's price?

I think I will wait for a true 9x gen card. Slapping together two 88x cards on a single pcb is not my idea of next gen, its just a GX2 gpu...which only gives 30% increase...30%? Is that it? Honestly...how the hell do nvidiots expect someone with 88gtx or ultra to upgrade to these? Most high-end gpu buyers already have an 88x series card so for us to upgrade we want something awesome...give us double the performance then come back us...another sign of nvidiots lack of competition from ati

Link
More info on whats replacing what. Seems NVidia is getting lazy, die shrink isn't evolutionary, nor is it even revolutionary. IMO they only gave the cards a new series name because there are too many names already in the current series.

Link
More info on whats replacing what. Seems NVidia is getting lazy, die shrink isn't evolutionary, nor is it even revolutionary. IMO they only gave the cards a new series name because there are too many names already in the current series.

Sounds like they are doing what Intel is versus AMD, since their only competition can't keep up they aren't going to push the envelope.

Sounds like they are doing what Intel is versus AMD, since their only competition can't keep up they aren't going to push the envelope.

Fully agree....what is up with AMD, why are they struggling like this, it is not good for us consumers having nVidia rulling the turf all the time, they need more competition to equalize market prices and motivate them to come up with next generation GPU's, not just a die shrink and a few more ROP's and SP's

ask your self this... would you get better results withSLI'd 8800GT's, if in fact what they are using for the 9800GX2 is 2 8800GT's in the first place?

Stop thinking of the base numbers (which is what GT heads seem be be obsessed with) and think og the overclock:

Smaller Die
Cooler Temps
Larger Overclock

Not to mention the god-awful "worse than an 8800GTS 320" cooling those GTs have.

Stop thinking of the base numbers (which is what GT heads seem be be obsessed with) and think og the overclock:

Smaller Die
Cooler Temps
Larger Overclock

Not to mention the god-awful "worse than an 8800GTS 320" cooling those GTs have.

With only a 30% increase over the 8800Us though? Who cares if there is a die shrink.

nVidia is just trying to figure out what they are gonna fill the gap in before they actually need to release a true 9800 card.

i hope they pick out a REAL 9800GT/GTX...

darn refresh with dual pcb. LOL

The problem with this thing... it will saturated pci-e 2.0 and use enormous amounts of power.

I'd like to see someone use 'quad sli' and check the power draw. You'll REALLY need a 1200watt psu.

Wrong and Wrong.

The card will saturate an 8 lane, 16x slot but a 16 lane, 16x 1.x spec slot has far more BW than
the card will need. The extra BW a 2.0 PCIe spec slot gives over a PCIe 1.x spec slot (both 16
lane) won't be needed for another 18-24 months.

The card will draw less power than a pair of G92 GTS's in a normal SLI as it will be clocked lower.

Quad SLI is just one more card as useless an Tri-SLI is/will be in the real world. Assuming you
have massive amounts of LN2, D-Ice or Cascade Phase system speed going to a 2 card SLI will
scale up about 65% over a single card in a perfect real world. Adding a 3rd card for Tri-SLI will
tack on another measly 10% if they can get the drivers to work in at least some games. A quad
SLI would tack on another 5% if it works at all.

Viper

Smaller Die
Cooler Temps
Larger Overclock

im scratching my head where this came from rain... esp since i quoted someone saying that 2 8800GT's would be faster... i asked how could it be faster if the 9800GX2 is infact nothing more then 2 8800GT's in SLI. i dont even consider ocing my GPU any more so ocing doesnt matter...

So much for my hopes that something worth stepping up to would appear in Feb :(

Guess I'll ride out the new GTS till summer

So does this mean that if I buy a 8800GT now for say $220, it will hold its value fairly well for the next 3-4 months?

sweet!

\start of threadjack

Now if only someone could feed my brain the answer to the question I've been debating for a while; is the 8800GTS (G92) worth the extra $80 over the 8800GT

\end of thread

Maybe it will push down prices on the 8800GTs?

Nah, who am I kidding. No competition on ATIs side to force anything like that :(

So much for my hopes that something worth stepping up to would appear in Feb :(

Guess I'll ride out the new GTS till summer

Ya i was hopeing to get another 7 series to 8 series jump this feb or at least something close... guess ill be keeping my 8800gts 640 for a lil longer.

And whats this talk about a die shrink... all the new cards in feb are going to be the same 65nm the G92 is... nothing new there.

Maybe it will push down prices on the 8800GTs?
Nah, who am I kidding. No competition on ATIs side to force anything like that :(
ATi's 3870X2 will likely match that thing if it's as bad as it seems to be. :-/
It looks like two 8800GT's... on two PCBs... 7950GX2 anyone?

I think it's a phaze, every few years, video cards suck, followed by something awesome.

wow I feel actually happy I bought my 8800gt when I did, 249.99 and it will keep me alive for awhile, weee!

very disappointed in nvidia though, can that new card even handle crysis? Last I saw it took 3 ultra's (1800 worth of graphic cards) to play crysis.

how will anyone play farcry 2 with that suck!

WE WILL SUPPORT QUAD SLI, who cares, make a single graphics card powerful, don't make the consumer spend 2k on graphics cards.
I've never bought an ATI/AMD product but I hope they catch up soon so we can get some real products getting released.

From the looks of it though it doesn't look good for AMD/ATI. If nvidia joined up with intel that would be sick, like others have read, intel wants to put CPU/GPU on the same chip, so what if they did merge? is that good or bad news for us?

Back