• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Geil PC4000 BENCHES ARE HERE!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
look for it :rolleyes:

anyways, do you think a zalman northbridge heatsink and some arctic alumina thermal adhesive would do the trick. I had to lower the fsb to 240 so I could play BF1942

you can get the OCZ at newegg for 230$

I too just got some of that Geil and it wont even do over 300fsb!!!
IMO it sucks ***. Maybe mine needs to be burned in but I will be RMA'ing it for some **** that will crank out the fsb. 290fsb isnt even stable in dual channel at 5:4 3,7,4,4

here is a benchie at 297fsb 5:4
297_fsb.jpg

do you use memtest86 and if you do do you get many many errors when you oc high? I got mine at 250 with the right settings with no errors. But if I go higher, I'll get errors

everyones telling me around 250 fsb @1-1 ratio the ic7 is crappin out, so it could be your mb. id love to know how high that memory will go....

Get the Thermaltake Tiger1 chipset cooler, Ive heard its better than the Zalman, and it costs $5 (plus $5 shipping, grrr) at Newegg. I am gonna get one soon. Getting another 5-10+ fsb is worth it for $10 =D.

Mine came today, and after about an hour and a half of tweaking, I just can't get this memory to perform as well as DDR500 should.

I set 250fsb with a 1:1 ratio, default voltage to the CPU, 2.8v to the memory, left the memory set to 'SPD', and left the GAT(PAT) left on auto, which probably is disabled.
Ran Sandra, and got an aweful 5565MB/s memory benchmark.
Tried using a GAT mode of Turbo, and had to reset my CMOS, as it alarmed on me.
-So I got back up and running where it was last stable, and tried Turbo again, but turned off CPC and all the usual tricks.. -Had to reset the CMOS again!! BAHHHH!!

Okay..hmm.. maybe I'll try for more MHz out of the memory.. So I get back into the Bios, and try 255fsb with 1:1 ratio..no alarm! So I'm pretty stoked now, as 5MHz more with a 1:1 is actually a pretty nice improvement in performance - well at least for benchmarks. Run through Sandra again, 5650MB/s. Better, but still doesn't touch my Corsair, which does over 5700MB/s, with Street Racer GAT settings..

In a nutshell, this memory doesn't perform as well as what I've got now, so it's going back.. If I could run GAT, my performance would probably be better, but I tried all the tweaks and tricks I could think of.... and I'm pretty sick of resetting my CMOS everytime my memory craps out.

Thumbs down from me, which is too bad..

My OCZ PC3700 Gold pulls is running 250 1:1 with 2.4-3-3-7 timings using 2.85v. The guys at OCZ tested the memory on the same mobo I use for me before I got it. They claim to have reached DDR510 with the same timings before shipment but I can't get it 100% stable at that speed. Maybe a volt mod is needed for me.

well if you RMA it you can get your money back. Thats what I did. This crap wont even do 300fsb in single channel with dog crap timings in a 3:2 divider.

nimrod0031 said:
well if you RMA it you can get your money back. Thats what I did. This crap wont even do 300fsb in single channel with dog crap timings in a 3:2 divider.

Why are you so sure that your nb can hold up 300 fsb?

Suma said:

Why are you so sure that your nb can hold up 300 fsb?

I'd RMA it just because it REFUSES to do a 5:4 divider. I've got no problem running it at PC3700 speeds with great timings, but PC3000 speeds? No way.

The only problem with RMA'ing it now is that I'd have to bite the bullet on the restock fee, etc. Perhaps GeIL is aware of this...I'm going to try contacting their tech support over it.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I can't get my system stable on 250fsb with the divider at 1:1 , my ram voltage is 2.8, my cpu voltage is 1.7 What do you guys think is wrong? should I rma my ram? my motherboard my cpu? This is ****ing me off

Sounds like the CPU. maxxschwag just posted a thread about a 2.8 doing 250 1:1 using the Geil 4200. He said that 250 is his CPU's max.

I don't know how to get around the CPU ceiling other than more voltage/less heat. If you find out, let me know!

I'm thinking about sending back my board, cpu and ram, and getting new ones from the manufacturer, but first, I'll change the ram, and if its still doing this, then I'll send back the board, if its still doing that, then I'll send back the cpu, if its still doing that, then F*** it.

OperativeSix said:

I'd RMA it just because it REFUSES to do a 5:4 divider

Turns out I was wrong about the 5:4 divider. It looks to be a problem common (d'oh!) to P4P800-deluxe motherboards. I don't have any other boards besides P4P800's to test on right now, so actually, this stuff is looking pretty juicy if it DOES work at 5:4.

IC7-G Max3 with 3v+ on the vdimm should be VERY nice with this memory.

Back