• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

General instability above 3400mhz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kyppki

Hello everyone I’m having a consistent issue and was wondering if anyone could help me nail down exactly which component is causing it.

I’m running a 3700x on a ASUS TUF Gaming x570 with 3200mhz 14-14-14-34 F4-3200C14D-16GTZR.

Overclocking the ram is no problem under 3400mhz, I’m in the middle of overclocking and am currently running 3400mhz 14-13-12-27 stable. However, no matter what timings I set I seem to get instability above 3400mhz. For example, 3600mhz 16-20-20-40 at 1.45v(1t, no powerdown, no geardown) can post and boots but throws errors on tests. Would I be correct in assuming that this is most likely an issue with the 3700x having that instability rather than the RAM itself?

I'd venture it is the settings, not the CPU or RAM. They are typically good to 3600/3733 or a lot more when not running 1:1.

Tryin adding a bit more SOC voltage and see if that helps.

You are on the latest BIOS and the sticks are in the proper slots, correct?

I'd venture it is the settings, not the CPU or RAM. They are typically good to 3600/3733 or a lot more when not running 1:1.

Tryin adding a bit more SOC voltage and see if that helps.

You are on the latest BIOS and the sticks are in the proper slots, correct?

Latest Bios and a2/b2 as per the manual. I’m at 1.1v SOC but I can try bumping it up, I’ve been following the github memory guide and it said that above 1.1v doesn’t help a lot, but I’ll give it a shot.

With what you have, it likely won't... but worth a try. Be sure the RAM voltage is actually getting 1.35V. If it isn't consider raising that a smidge if you haven't already.

With what you have, it likely won't... but worth a try. Be sure the RAM voltage is actually getting 1.35V. If it isn't consider raising that a smidge if you haven't already.

Ok so I definitely couldn’t get 3600mhz no matter what and I think it’s something specifically about that frequency now. Because I always hit the same errors on the same test doing 3600mhz 16-20-20-40 1.45v and now I’m testing 3733mhz at 16-16-16-36 1.35v(1t, no geardown, no power down) and it’s completely fine. It won’t even post at 3600mhz 16-20-20-40 1.35v.

If anyone has any hypothesis’s on why that is happening I’d really like to hear it because I’ve never seen this happen before.

Try running at 3733 and if it doesn't work, decouple it and try again.

It is running at 3733 and that’s what I don’t get.

It’s got tighter timings at a higher frequency with less voltage and it’s stable when at looser timings with a lower frequency and more power it wouldn’t even post.

I mean, in the past we've seen FSB holes where it doesn't work at a specific FSB, but will past that value.

I cannot explain why... but... try and run 3733 @ 1:1 instead. :)

Back