• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gentle Typhoon PWM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It's nice to see that they are actually selling them as PWM now too, instead of making people mod them for PWM.

All you have to do to make a PWM version of the AP-29 of higher model is solder one wire to the PCB as can be seen on our frontpage here. Oh, and you'll need a 4-pin connector housing.

However, those fans you linked are only $4.50 more than the non-PWM, which may be worth it to people who don't want to make their own.

I want to know is whether these have a similar sound profile to the AP-15s at similar speeds, and if there is any difference between the 29, 30, and 31 models when run at similar speeds or in terms of a minimum speed.

D1225C12B9AP-30-PWM. That fan began its life as a Voltage controlled fan that the people at Performance PC's converted to PWM. I like the thought. I don't like their drawing all their power from the motherboard:

d1225c12b9ap-30-pwm_03.jpg

They should have left the Molex plug to supply the power to the fan.

They should warn people to get a splitter cable, or include one.

They could have left the power cable as-is. I did that in both of my conversions. It's not hard to do, especially if you have the tools, as they do.

D1225C12B9AP-30-PWM. That fan began its life as a Voltage controlled fan that the people at Performance PC's converted to PWM. I like the thought. I don't like their drawing all their power from the motherboard:

d1225c12b9ap-30-pwm_03.jpg

They should have left the Molex plug to supply the power to the fan.

They should warn people to get a splitter cable, or include one.

They could have left the power cable as-is. I did that in both of my conversions. It's not hard to do, especially if you have the tools, as they do.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't modern motherboards come with fan headers rated for at least 1A of current? The AP-30 draws half that and I don't think the "startup" power draw would be high enough for long enough to damage the fan header...

PS: Nice to see someone capitalizing on the pwm mod you posted months ago eHume... :) You should definitely hit them up for some "licensing fees". :cool:

Sorry to threadjack, but my question is related. I just purchased a gentle typhoon, the 116 cfm version. is there any other way to get the fan to work with a fan controller or lower the RPM's? Or is the thread linked to in this thread the only way? Thanks!

Sorry to threadjack, but my question is related. I just purchased a gentle typhoon, the 116 cfm version. is there any other way to get the fan to work with a fan controller or lower the RPM's? Or is the thread linked to in this thread the only way? Thanks!

Check out this page. As you can see, your 116.5 cfm fan will require 1.35 Amps in startup current, which is 16.2 Watts. If your fan controller can handle that, have fun with it.

Or you can link it up to the 5-Volt wire from your PSU. Or you can convert it to PWM and buy one of the many PWM splitters out there. Your choice.

Yea, solder a wire, run the power side off a molex, and use a mobo PWM connector for the PWM signal, or get a PWM fan controller.

It's VERY easy to PWM modify the fan if you have ever soldered.

Thank you for the replies. If I use the mobo PWM, I would control the RPMs with software like speedfan correct? If I elect to grab a controller, can you recommend one for this fan plus the possible addition of 4 other typhoons, but the slower 1850rpm versions?

Actually, I found my old controller. Would This Controller work? I'm not sure if am reading it correctly, but it says 20W per channel with a max output of 1.67 amps. Is that 1.67 amps per channel, or total?

Thank you for the replies. If I use the mobo PWM, I would control the RPMs with software like speedfan correct? If I elect to grab a controller, can you recommend one for this fan plus the possible addition of 4 other typhoons, but the slower 1850rpm versions?

Actually, your motherboard has PWM control of PSU fannage. With a PWM splitter you can take the motherboard's PWM signal and spread it to several fans. Then you power those fans directly from your PSU.

Back