• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gentlemen, GET OUT YOUR CHECKBOOKS--VISTA is COMING!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It's stupidly, retardedly expensive. But if what we read about some versions, Ultimate included, not having activation, then hmmmm....I dunno. A legit home-user-buyable non-activation version is total bait.

[zelda 1]
Grumble...Grumble...
[/zelda 1]

Those prices are rediculous! If they think they have a problem with piracy now, wait until Vista is totaly cracked (or is it already?) and pirated to legit copies will be like 3:1.

All I want to see is a patch to make DX10 work on XP. :D

Vista is to XP what ME was to 98 SE. To me, it sounds like it's shaping up to be as pointless of an upgrade as WinME was.

Then again I felt the same way when XP was coming out. It was (and still is to a degree) a bloated turd compared to 2k.

Sorin said:
...And the shutdown button not being able to be configured, tweaked, changed, whatever. Pressing the button leads to sleep or standy by or whatever.
Actually you can configure the shutdown button... all the options in vista are foreign but if you dig around enough, you can tweak the crap out of it. You can remove all the bloat too. I'm going to hold my opinions until I have a retail copy to mess with. Since I am a system admin, I kinda gotta learn it and use it at some point whether or not I want to...

Talk about illegal cracks or ways to crack and the banhammer will be summoned :mad:

nikhsub1
Forums Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure it is bloated, but what percentage of Windows users care if 9GB of thier 300GB HDD is used by Windows? I still havent come close to filling my 320GB, and I am thinking of getting another HDD... I dont know why. Maybe cause it is $89cdn for a 250gb SATA, I wanna be the first person in town to break 1TB :D Also, John Q Public is buying systems with much more power than they will ever use to check thier e-mail and play online poker... M$ is using that unused power for a prettier OS. Those of us who fret over 15 extra FPS in some game though we are already getting 100FPS+ at max settings, we can turn those pretty things off and run a slim mean hardcore OS that looks like Win95 :D

Beta 2 testers automatically get RC1, I will definatly buy Vista Ultimate if there is a discount. What is the point of waiting... there will be updates, and the price will proably be the same by the time Vista SP1 is out.

I'm running Vista pre-RC1 right now and liking it. Trying to get my network back up took 45 minutes (though 20 of those was switching network cards to find one that had vista drivers), my system is a little more sluggish (though I am running default clocks), and horrible support for my old accustic edge soundcard (it loaded drivers but refused to play in 5.1 so I had to go back to the horrible sound quality of realtek) but other then that I think it's a huge improvement over XP. I've only been running it for a few hours but I've already rid vista of most of the annoying quirks. The only thing irritating me right now is how everything seems to "not respond" when it's loading or busy. Well, that and the new start menu.

I won't upgrade right away, but when I build a new system next year I'll probably pick up a copy of Vista for it.

im buying it for sure .. i can care less really how much space and etc...

as long as my games play fine im good... im not a benchmarker anymmore so it doesnt bother me the least ...

Xtreme Barton said:
im not a benchmarker anymmore so it doesnt bother me the least ...

I think that's the reason I'm not so anti-vista. I really stopped caring about having the fastest system in the world once I realized no matter how badass my system is, it's just going to be so-so in six months time. I don't really have the income to upgrade everytime a new cpu or videocard comes out. As long as I can play games at 1680x1050 at medium-high settings at 50+fps I'm fine.

The biggest problem I have with Vista is that they have not yet declared how the DRM and Product Activation will feature... If this is even more invasive than XP then I will have issues with it.

I'll wait until Mwave comes out with an OEM version of Ultra and then buy it along with a new Core 2Duo/K8-L or whatever catches my fancy at the time. By then the bugs ought to be worked out a bit as well. Then again, maybe I'll skip it and just get SBS 2003 and a Tyan/Opteron combo...

UnseenMenace said:
The biggest problem I have with Vista is that they have not yet declared how the DRM and Product Activation will feature... If this is even more invasive than XP then I will have issues with it.

yeah calling india is a pain...I can never understand wtf them people are saying...and the automated activation :bang head

btw: your avatar scares me...lol:eek:

Look ppl, I remember right in 2001 when I still used my Win95 machine (before the HDD crap on me) I had a 2.5GB HDD, and ppl, let me say it was endless storage. People say why get an 400GB HDD, why because as new OS comes they suck more storage to the point is freaking stupid. I won't upgrade, right now XP uses about 4GB of space...are u tellinmg me next one is using 9?! ...go away. Besides the requirments of RAM. BF2 uses about 1.3GB when at full graphics. XP needs 128MB minimum to run fine. I could run my Win95 with 30MB of RAM w/o any problems. As time goes by we will be needing more more & more. I can see it, hey whats on ur sig? ohh yea look!

-Windows Aqua (name invented. means next to Vista who knows if I'm right :D)
-Core 4 @3.5GHz Socket 1582
-8GB DDR3 PC-11,200
-Ati Radeon X3800XT PCI-eIII
-nForce 770 SLi
-Silverstone 1.2KW
-2 1TB WD RAID 0

ahh yea, my rig lags a little in HALO 5 because of the Aquos(b4 Aereo) Desktop and the OS sucks 200GB...

^^^ man...WTF

Three words, in Scots:

"Nae fears mate!"

I'm not touching that with a barge pole. My new laptop came with XP (which I dual boot with gentoo) and my mainrig runs CentOS.

HP had the cheek to put this sticker on my laptop, and a disclaimer on the box. A little bit of a cop out methinks.

244f6b83fc676e.png

244f6b840d2360.png

I think I'll pass on Vista, thanks. XP for games, Linux for everything else is suiting me fine.

I wanted to attempt to figure out which versions of Vista included certain features and produce a "feature matrix" for each of Vista's SKUs. I'm finding that, so far, nothing is written in stone as of yet. I do have a couple of links here that describe some of the features which might be included in certain SKUs, but as far as I know, nothing is official yet.

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/article2/0,2180,1928547,00.asp

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/article2/0,2180,1931478,00.asp

If anyone comes across a source for a comprehensive list of all Vista versions and their respective feature sets, please let me know here.

UnseenMenace said:

That's my hang up too. By the time I buy Vista I'm sure my hardware will run it just fine, but I'm fearful of the DRM.

It looks like my next system will be a triple boot, Linux, XP, and Vista. ;) That's a lot of rebooting though to get what you need! LOL

CGR said:
HELL and NO!!!!

XP 4 life or till support ends :)

I got your back on that.

Vista price to high

Features to low

I could care less about eye candy I want performance & functionality looks are minimally important.

Last edited:
Back