• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gentoo: getting closer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I tried the method presented in the link Capt. Newbie posted here

Code:
# echo "<=app-crypt/mit-krb5-1.6.3-r2" >> /etc/portage/package.keywords 
# emerge --sync 
# emerge -f e2fsprogs e2fsprogs-libs 
# emerge --unmerge ss com_err e2fsprogs 
# emerge e2fsprogs -libs

but after "emerge --sync" I get the following:

Temporary failure in name resolution....error in socket IO (code 10) at clientserver....

Happy T-giving all, I'm takin' a day off- I'll be back!

*edited

Last edited:
I tried the method presented in the link Capt. Newbie posted here

Code:
# echo "<=app-crypt/mit-krb5-1.6.3-r2" >> /etc/portage/package.keywords 
# emerge --sync 
# emerge -f e2fsprogs e2fsprogs-libs 
# emerge --unmerge ss com_err e2fsprogs 
# emerge e2fsprogs -libs

but after -rsync I get the following:

Temporary failure in name resolution....error in socket IO (code 10) at clientserver....

Happy T-giving all, I'm takin' a day off- I'll be back!

*think think*

Have a happy Thanksgiving, and we'll nuke it all out when you're back. :cool:

I have come to the realization that raw determination is not sufficient to overcome a lack of expertise and knowledge. As such, I've had to swallow a huge piece of humble pie, and make the rational decision to shelf this project.

...not to be confused with "giving up", just doing a tactical retreat and preparing better for the next round!

Thanks to all that have helped. :)

I sense someone who didn't read the directions in the gentoo handbook fully! I know it's long, but skipping even one sentence can lead to being totally lost later on.

I have come to the realization that raw determination is not sufficient to overcome a lack of expertise and knowledge. As such, I've had to swallow a huge piece of humble pie, and make the rational decision to shelf this project.

...not to be confused with "giving up", just doing a tactical retreat and preparing better for the next round!

Thanks to all that have helped. :)

I sense someone who didn't read the directions in the gentoo handbook fully! I know it's long, but skipping even one sentence can lead to being totally lost later on.

Yep. I hate to say it, but it really isn't that hard if you follow the steps. I know that it can be confusing at times, and there are sections that may not apply to you, but it really isn't as hard as it use to be.

If you still want to give it a try, there is a GUI installer built into the full ISOs. Run though that, it works 99% of the time, and then you can go back once you have a default system, configure, recompile, and tweak the system.

Aside from that, I will consult at $200/h to install it for you. :p

yeah this is tough to hear. i definitely did my share of reinstalls in the beginning tho. Just don't stay away long and you'll get it next time

I also did my fair share of reinstalls when I started... And it still takes me a week to get Gentoo running well enough to the point I'm doing more real work than working on Gentoo.

If autoconfiguring X doesn't give you a usable X, that is tough. If you aren't sure which kernel options to enable, that is tough. Then there's configuring make.conf suitably for all the apps your installing, reconfiguring make.conf when you realize you left out some use flags you need, recompiling thru portage, addressing conflicts or other package bugs... Its not the easiest and I've struggled with all these things and more that I've forgotten.

Come back to it sometime tho if you've gotten frustrated. I can say even with all the frustration I've experienced, Gentoo is by far my favorite distro.

Ugh genkernel. Never!

I hate using initial root disks. I like to just boot off my real root filesystem.

O.K., gotta Gentoo install up and running nicely on an older AMD rig:

Chipset

• VIA® KM400 Chipset
- FSB @200/266/333MHz
- Integrated S3 Graphics UniChrome 2D/3D Graphics with motion compensation
- AGP 4x and 8X

• VIA® VT8237 Chipset

...this with the i686 version of the 2007.0 Livecd installer, using the gtk option. I really hated to dump the nice Debian install it had, but it was the only rig where I felt I had nothing to lose, since it wasn't a folding 'production' rig, and was feeling a tad too slow for use as my "main" box. I must say, the feel is distinctly peppier, and so perhaps I can now use it mainly, and let my wife have my C2D rig :D

Back