• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gentoo the {PMS}fishy way. Like it or else!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
enduro said:
All right pardon my stupidity but what is the benefit of using Gentoo over XP? I had never heard of Gentoo until I saw it in Fishy's sig one day.

Free. Faster. Safer. More Secure.

Same reason Linux is better than XP. Gentoo just happens to be one of the best Distros out.

would this work in cflags?

-mcpu=athlon-xp -march=i686

i'm not sure if thats the right verbiage but you get the idea.

eNightmare said:
would this work in cflags?

-mcpu=athlon-xp -march=i686

i'm not sure if thats the right verbiage but you get the idea.

Why would you run i686 when you could run athlon-xp ?

It also depends on which version of GCC you are using.

-mcpu is for 3.3 or older

-mtune is for 3.4 and newer

everytime I try to compile using the flag -march=athlon-xp, my computer locks up about 5 minutes into it...but it works find with i686

eNightmare said:
everytime I try to compile using the flag -march=athlon-xp, my computer locks up about 5 minutes into it...but it works find with i686

I never had any luck with AXPs and Gentoo. Could be code related, could be something else. I ended up running a stage 3, it just wasn't worth the fight.

Try upgrading GCC. Also are you OCed at all? It locks as in freezes up, or what actually happens?

{PMS}fishy said:
I never had any luck with AXPs and Gentoo. Could be code related, could be something else. I ended up running a stage 3, it just wasn't worth the fight.

Try upgrading GCC. Also are you OCed at all? It locks as in freezes up, or what actually happens?

Yes, I am overclocked...but i thought maybe it was a stability issue so I underclocked slightly and tried it again...also tried using the gentoo-nofb kernel...but once I tried -march=i686 it worked beautifully, and i did it a couple of other times to and have worked every time.

EDIT: I should note that this happened while I was compiling the kernel on a stage 3 installation. It just froze up...I couldn't change virtual consoles or anything, and the cursor would freeze as well. Do you know what version of gcc goes on the 2005.0 installation cd?

eNightmare said:
Yes, I am overclocked...but i thought maybe it was a stability issue so I underclocked slightly and tried it again...also tried using the gentoo-nofb kernel...but once I tried -march=i686 it worked beautifully, and i did it a couple of other times to and have worked every time.

EDIT: I should note that this happened while I was compiling the kernel on a stage 3 installation. It just froze up...I couldn't change virtual consoles or anything, and the cursor would freeze as well. Do you know what version of gcc goes on the 2005.0 installation cd?

fb stands for famebuffer and is realted only to video settings.

I have no idea which GCC is on 2005.0, but gcc-config should tell you.

Also, any overclock can freak somehting as critical as emerge system out. Run it stock.

{PMS}fishy said:
Also, any overclock can freak somehting as critical as emerge system out. Run it stock.

I tried that too...

Is there a huge difference between using athlon-xp and i686?

I believe 2005.0 still uses 3.3.4 as the default compiler. If you decide to change to GCC 3.4 it's a good idea to do:

emerge glibc libtool gcc && emerge -e world

That should make sure that first you end up with a GCC thats built using 3.4 and then that the rest of the system is built and linked against stuff built with 3.4. If you don't you might find things breaking.

eNightmare said:
I tried that too...

Is there a huge difference between using athlon-xp and i686?

Might as well do a stage 3 in that case.

No need to waste time to compile an i686 stage 1.

Back