• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Get windows 10 Icon

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nebulous

Dreadnought Class Senior
I just got the "get windows 10" icon on the bottom right corner next to the clock. Undecided wether or not to go 10. Anybody else got it and installed 10? How is it thus far? I know there might be bugs as any new os will, but overall how is it? Can we still use the classic shell on it?

Feel free to read through the Windows 10 thread here:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/753295-Windows-10-The-next-chapter

:)

I just installed it yesterday to replace my crusty win7 enterprise install and so far I like it for the most part. Running into a few random bugs here and there (such as right now, I pinned a few things to my start menu and now it doesn't show up anymore... haven't tried rebooting yet though). Overall it is a pretty slick OS with some nice features and it runs well. If you end up doing the 'get windows 10' part anyway right now it won't become available until July 29th, so there's still time for more builds and such to come together prior to launch of course.

Ahhh, good to know. Browsing through the 'get windows 10 now' it's a reserve your free copy thing for 7/29 launch date. I went ahead and reserved a copy. I've read alot of good things (and not so good things, lol). Hey it's a freebie, why not? ;)

Windows 10 will not be out for more than a month from now.
It isn't finished yet.

Get Windows 10 from where? Only Windows 10 test Betas are available, they are for testing, still unfinished, most definitely not for replacing your main OS.
Can you link to anything suggesting this is legitimate?

It isn't finished yet.

Get Windows 10 from where? Only Windows 10 test Betas are available, they are for testing, still unfinished, most definitely not for replacing your main OS.

When I get home this evening, I'll post you some screenshots of what we are talking about. I've got an icon on my taskbar on some of my home computers running Win 7 that when I mouse over tells me to click it to get Win 10. I don't have it on my work machine running Win 7 though.

It isn't finished yet.

They are referring to the "Get Windows 10" app...

What.png

How.png

Makes things easy for the peeps that want to upgrade asap, with the added bonus that by spreading out the load Microsoft's servers (hopefully) won't melt on July 29th....

Windows 10 Q&A

So it's free right now right? Has msft released how much it will be in a year yet? I'm assuming at some point they will be charging us...

So it's free right now right? Has msft released how much it will be in a year yet? I'm assuming at some point they will be charging us...

Free till July 29, 2016 provided:

A) your device is compatible, and
B) you’re running genuine Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) or Windows 8.1 (Update).

Current Pricing

This is exactly what I was referring to. Thx Cuda.

:cheers:

Better clarify that 'till July 29, 2016' ;).

People may (and will) take that to mean they have to pay after that date to keep it...

I had that "Get Windows 10" thingy, I think it was a KB3035583, some update that installed it, I just removed it cause I won't upgrade to Windows 10. I'd rather spend the money and have a full install, never had any luck with upgrades, they were always too buggy for my tastes. Prices don't look to bad tbh, I mean at lest it's not server 2008 prices.

Oddly enough, I haven't received that icon yet :-/

Americans only right now??

Mines been there for probably 2 or 3 weeks already, both PCs in my house, and both PCs in my brothers house as well. You maybe didn't install the update?
Or ms doesn't figure you are genuine :p

You don't have to spend money to be able to do a full install...

I read the only way to get a full version was from doin the participation until the full retail was made available late Aug. I'd rather not Use 10 until early next year when most of the bugs will be out of it (hopefully).

I read the only way to get a full version was from doin the participation until the full retail was made available late Aug.

Once you’ve upgraded to Windows 10 using the free upgrade offer, you will be able to reinstall, including a clean install, on the same device. You won’t need to purchase Windows 10 or go back to your prior version of Windows and upgrade again.

You’ll also be able to create your own installation media like a USB drive or DVD, and use that to upgrade your device or reinstall after you’ve upgraded.

--Edit--

Last edited:
There's so much misinformation out there, I don't think we will be able to put that issue to bed 'Cuda340. Subscription issue is more troubling and alive & well too.
Microsoft held an official press conference in which they had every opportunity to put it to bed early on.
They chose not do. Multiple articles were then published which both spread misinformation as a direct consequence and made sure that this forum and others like it will have to answer that question repeatedly for the foreseeable future.

For every ocforums member who thinks Windows 10 is subscription based - countless others in the real world now think that too. It will be a while before we stop seeing posts in which people incorrectly think Windows 10 is subscription based...

Call me simple but I don't get it. If it isn't subscription and they are giving it away free to basically anyone with a real copy of 7 or 8, what is their benefit here? If someone has a real copy of the older versions then they would probably buy the new one, why give them away?

Okay, simple.

Because it benefits them to:
A) have everyone on their latest OS for adoption rate purposes
B) better security features
C) everyone will have access to their app store marketplace
D) with having those parts in place it gives developers additional reason to code for their app store and for DX12 features

It still leaves an insane amount of money on the table. Not to mention those seem like benefits to users more than msft.

Back