• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

getting as much as i can out of my 8350

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pupupuputter

ok i am somewhat new to overclocking but i know some basics like voltages increase for stability i have a vishera 8350 with corsair 1050 psu my mobo is the asrock 990fx extreme9 and my ram is kingston hyperx 1600 16 gb (2x8gb) the 8350 is liquid cooled by the cooler master nepton 280l maybe xl dont have the box on hand and it has an r9 290x gpu if that matters about anything i want to try to get this to highest i can stable hence the large cooling unit and help will be greatly appreciated.

pup, welcome to the forum. A couple of things you may want to do, Download Hwmonitor, Cpu-Z and prime95. I would start out by opening Hwmonitor and running prime blend torture test for 20 minutes. Then post screen shots of Hwmonitor and the following tabs in Cpu-Z, Cpu, Spd and memory. Use the in forum attachment tool, which is in the "advanced" post window. Click on the paperclip and attach the screen shot. This will give us a peek under the hood to see what is what with the system at stock settings and how much headroom you have for overclocking temperature wise. Also take some time to read the bulldozer overclocking guide it will give you a better idea of what will be asked of you and what you'll need to know.

pup, you have some good components in place there but you left out information about a critical component and that is the case. What is the make and model of the case? How many fans are installed, how large are they and what is their orientation with regard to push/pull? Good case ventilation is critical to keeping motherboard temps down. This can become a more relevant question when using hydro cooling as some of the case fans are replaced by the hydro cooler fans and the radiator which tends to reduce air flow through the case.

Most generally...

This is what we need to see for sure and a real good starting point.

Normally during setup and testing we disable C1/E, C6, Cool N Quiet, APC, TurboCore and in windows performance manager itself we set to "performance" mode. That way there are not "other" settings messing with the overclocking process. Some of those settings are not available on all models of cpu but where in evidence we disable for setup of overclock process.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU CORE TEMPS / "package" temps fully visible. Latest versions of HWMonitor show the CPU Core Temp as " a Package Temp" and is only shown as a single temp since there were never multple, individual core temp sensors anyway.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open and running on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of INDIVIDUAL images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

pup, you have some good components in place there but you left out information about a critical component and that is the case. What is the make and model of the case? How many fans are installed, how large are they and what is their orientation with regard to push/pull? Good case ventilation is critical to keeping motherboard temps down. This can become a more relevant question when using hydro cooling as some of the case fans are replaced by the hydro cooler fans and the radiator which tends to reduce air flow through the case.
the case is a rosewill armor evolution it has 11 fans in it right now 9 are 120mm fans 2 are the 140mm that come with the liquid cooling there are 4 fans in the front of case 2 push then 2 pull that blow across the hard drives and in then there are four coolermaster blademaster pwm fans with molex adapters in the side pushing air in there is a cooler master blade master in the rear in pull config and the 2 jetflo 140mmm are on top in a pull config on top of radiator(couldnt put underneath mobo doesnt have clearence to put in push config)

here are the pictures you wanted

this is with the mobo auto oc of 4.4 if you prefer the stock settings i can set it back to stock and repost

cpuzcpu.png

cpuzmem.png

cpuzspd.png

hwmonitor.png

sorry ignore them i didnt run the prime test first before taking them i will repost when i can

pup, we do not recommend using auto overclock settings. Yes your cpu is now running at 4400 but your memory is at 880mhz which will in most cases hinder the system more then it helps. Your best be it posting the hwmonitor under load and read the overclocking guide linked above.

ok i will put it back to stock and overclock manually, that is why i asked for help to o.c. i have read many forums about auto and wanted to learn the rights and wrongs to do it myself for future builds i want to do a 9550 build with this board once they get them a little more stable

ok i will put it back to stock and overclock manually, that is why i asked for help to o.c. i have read many forums about auto and wanted to learn the rights and wrongs to do it myself for future builds i want to do a 9550 build with this board once they get them a little more stable
Truth be told if you're going to overclock it, depending on how good of a chip your 8350 clock for clock they are basically the same chip. So if you have 9590 that can run all 8 cores at 5.0 and an 8350 also all 8 at 5.0 they will be the same.

oh ok nice to know i will see just how good this chip is and if i can get to a good overclock i will save my money for maybe some ram coolers or put liquid cooling on my r9 290x

oh ok nice to know i will see just how good this chip is and if i can get to a good overclock i will save my money for maybe some ram coolers or put liquid cooling on my r9 290x

I have not yet really seen any FX-9370 or FX-9590 that just flat outruns a g00d and overclocked FX-8350. Default for FX-8350 is 4.0Ghz and it is higher for the [email protected] and [email protected] and those when using TurboCore which boosts to the next higher Mhz only with 1/2 the cores. However my day to day 4.8Ghz with FX-8350 is with ALL 8 cores enabled. So generally speaking as "mandrake4565" said it is debatable to get the FX9590.
RGone...ster.

i will save my money for maybe some ram coolers
Not necessary unless you're planning on overvolting them and overclocking them, which for normal usage is unnecessary. I would wait and see how the Kingston Hypers play with the 8350 first, we have seen instances where they do not like to play nice.

Yeah, I have concerns that he chose Kingson RAM to go with an AMD system. Often they don't play well together.

ok i am somewhat new to overclocking but i know some basics like voltages increase for stability i have a vishera 8350 with corsair 1050 psu my mobo is the asrock 990fx extreme9 and my ram is kingston hyperx 1600 16 gb (2x8gb) the 8350 is liquid cooled by the cooler master nepton 280l maybe xl dont have the box on hand and it has an r9 290x gpu if that matters about anything i want to try to get this to highest i can stable hence the large cooling unit and help will be greatly appreciated.

The 280i should do fine, I'm cooling my 8350 with a 240L and it runs as cool as my 9590 with custom loop.

Your memory may give you problems, I've had several configurations and so far 2-4gb G Skill 2400's perform the best.

i want to do a 9550 build with this board

If you buy a 9590 it may or may not run as high as your 8350, same chip just the 9590 binned higher. How high it runs depends on the MB and cooling. Consider keeping the 8350 and upgrading your MB...Formula-Z?

Consider keeping the 8350 and upgrading your MB...Formula-Z?
Weve seen guys be able to push the Fx 8/9 series chips on Extreme 9's just as far as any of the top tier Asus boards. Reality is the CHV-Formula/Z is really for extreme overclocking ie sub ambient, because of all the bells and whistles. The power section of the CHV-F/Z is equal to the sabertooth.

Weve seen guys be able to push the Fx 8/9 series chips on Extreme 9's just as far as any of the top tier Asus boards. Reality is the CHV-Formula/Z is really for extreme overclocking ie sub ambient, because of all the bells and whistles. The power section of the CHV-F/Z is equal to the sabertooth.

I can only speak for my hands one experience, the 1 asrock Extreme I worked with throttled sooner than the z i have worked with, but that's just 2 examples and does not mean a thing.

Now that I think about it I may have worked with the Extreme3 and not the Extreme9. The 9 does have some impressive specs.

The Asrock is very similar if not the same as the Asrock Fatal1ty 990fx professional. According to the ASrock specs the Extreme 9 is a 12+2 phase count in the VRM section. The Asrock Fatal1ty 990FX killer, just an FYI, and is not the same as the pro, the pro was a board made a year or so ago and is no longer in production. The ASrock Extreme 4 and 3 are 8+2 and 4+1 accordingly.
View attachment 143929

Last edited:
The Asrock is very similar if not the same as the Asrock Fatal1ty 990fx professional. According to the ASrock specs the Extreme 9 is a 12+2 phase count in the VRM section. The Asrock Fatal1ty 990FX killer, just an FYI, and is not the same as the pro, the pro was a board made a year or so ago and is no longer in production. The ASrock Extreme 4 and 3 are 8+2 and 4+1 accordingly.
View attachment 143929

attachment.php

I am with you "mandrake" about that Asrock Ext9 board should be very good. I have both the CHV non-Z and the Asrock Fatal1ty 990FX Professional and would only really need a CHV board if I were going maybe DICE, LN2 or LHE as my form of cooling.

There are bells and whistles on the CHV series that are not needed unless you are going to use super cooling. Not necessary for water or air cooling. The Ext9 and Fatal1ty 990FX boards are just about twins except for what could be a slightly heftier VRM on the EXT9 and I am very fond of my FatLady when overclocking So I feel fairly certain I would have an affection for the EXT9.

Here is link to a little mini-review on the Fatal1ty mobo that I did months ago before we even had heard of an EXT 9 but I expect the two to be very very similar. The 990FX Killer board is a gamers board that can be overclocked but it is not an overclocker you can game on like the Fatal1ty and EXT9.

Linky >> http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=726641
Thread title was "Is it a Contender?"

IF I needed bells and whistles for DICE, LN2 or LEH, then the CHV series might be a little better choice.

Most certainly with the number of Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 boards we have seen then maybe I would choose it secondly for pushing 8 core FX processors, but I certainly would rank the EXT 9 up there as well and if the Asrock were much cheaper where I buy...then I expect an EXT 9 might well find its' way into my BuyBasket.
RGone...ster. :chair:

Back