• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My much needed new build, need opinions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Corzahazard

Well, my current PC is becoming doorstop material and I'm well overdue for a new build.
I would appreciate some input from you guys as to whether I am on the right track, basically I'm looking at a rig that will play whatever I want whenever I want.

CPU - FX-8350
MOBO - Sabertooth 990FX R.2
Cooler - Coolermaster V8 GTS
GPU - Radeon R9 380
PSU - EVGA SuperNOVA 650W 80+ Gold (full modular)
RAM - G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 1866 16GB (2x8gb)
HDD - 2x Seagate 4TB SSHD
DVD or Bluray burner
extra case fans
Case - Corsair Graphite 780T

I want to overclock this cpu to as close to 5Ghz as possible too, the reason behind the V8 GTS cooler was that it looks freakin' awesome and is a triple tower and by the looks of it would give a lot more clearance with the ram, and while I know Noctua is the better option, I would like something that doesn't look like so much of an eyesore.
On the topic of ram, is it better to run 2x8GB sticks or run 4x4GB sticks?

I've heard the Sabertooth board is one of the better boards to overclock the 8350 next to the Formula V (a bit pricey for me) but will the other 990FX boards give me the same OC for a cheaper price? I was looking at either the Gigabyte GA-990FX-GAMING or the Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 R5, both being a bit cheaper but I wasn't sure if they'd achieve the same clocking ability.

I'd also like some input as to the GPU too, eventually I would like to run 2 in crossfire but I'm up in arms as to whether it's worth doing it that way, and there are so many choices I guess I'm a little overwhelmed as to which one to choose (been a while since my last build which turns out I made a lot of mistakes when choosing parts and don't want to find I'm wasting my $$$ again)

I figure a 650W PSU should run this system for now but will more than likely need to beef it up if I introduce a second GPU in the future.

As for the case, it looks pretty damn sweet and looks like it has a lot of breathing room for future upgrades, not sure how well air cooling will go with this cpu with high OC's, so figure a case with room for a cooling loop won't hurt, plus I really like the way corsair has designed this case with the SSD bays tucked away, so if SSD's become affordable I can install those and tuck them away for a much cleaner look and give more airflow through the case without having drive bay racks in the way of the front fans.

I would also like to know if the Seagate SSHD's are worth it? or if I'd just be better off going for the Barracuda's instead.

Honestly I would love as much help as I can with this build as I would like this build to be done properly this time.

I am also a 'fanboy' (and yes I hate that term haha) of AMD, so please don't suggest Intel. Basically all of my mates that got me into PC's/modding/overclocking/etc. all had AMD based systems and it kinda just grew on me.

Thank you in advance and look forward to your input, suggestions and criticisms :D
Also, sorry for all the questions, just making sure I'm on a path to glory :D

Peace
Corz

I think you should wait as the amd 8350 and chipset is showing its age. Go Zen when available if you can wait. Skip the the 380 as well and get an rx 480 when they come out this month @200 USD if you have to build now. Otherwise see whats available when zen ships. That said I really like AMD gpus. I might go nvidia for the first time ever now though. Besides the RX 480 uses less power so two might be possible without upgrading your power supply.Heck I;m considering dual RX 480s too, mostly cause its cheaper than a 1080. Idk about the hdds. Personally, I'd prefer a decent sized ssd and one hdd.

I really like this one when its sold directly thru newegg and not a seller on newegg as they overcharge. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16820226596

I paid like 220 for mine. Saw your case, seems expensive and if you need good cooling a Fractal Design Define R5 might fit the bill for cheaper. 90 bucks if you do without a window while on sale, or 120 with a window still cheaper than the 180 cost. I think the V8 cooler looks cool but is not the best and would go with a h90 or h100i as amd chips run hot at 5ghz. I think they look awfully cool myself in the right build.

Last edited:
Cool cheers for the quick reply.

I planned to get a part each fortnight so I might build it up based around what you suggested and also look into those parts too, I'm not in a huge rush to get this build completed, but my Athlon IIx2 260 is a bit boring and definitely needs to be set aside, managed to get a 3.8 stable clock but 2 cores just isn't cutting it now haha

Sorry if I sound like a bit of an idiot but what is Zen? new chipset or something? I'll look into it but figure you might be able to give me a rough idea

Zen is the code name for AMD's new completely redesigned chip coming out end of this year which is 8 core has something similiar to hyperthreading (16 threads) and single threaded performance is close to intel's current chips. I also edited my original post, so please read it. I saw the ssd I linked to for 250 on ebay if that helps. Zen will use DDR4 btw on the AM4 platform and AM3 is a dying platform that uses DDR3.

Sorry to add but I advise against getting parts at different times as what if something doesn't work? Everything needs to be tested as soon as possible for warranty purposes. That said I did the same without any issues when I built my first computer, but that's just luck. Though I was able to buy stuff slowly when it popped up on sale which was a plus.

I'm in Australia so Newegg is out of the question for me, but that looks like a pretty reasonably priced SSD in that link, I was thinking the V8 GTS because I was thinking if I got the black 780T case the red would match up nicely with the included red LED fans, but if it won't hold up to the high temps I'll move towards the WC route, I haven't started this build yet so it's all just on paper at the moment, I had a quick glimpse at that Fractal Design case but I'm not really a fan of the look of it to be honest.

Cheers for shedding some light on the Zen processors, one question though, if it's DDR4/AM4 would that mean that I would have to choose a different mobo then to support it? starting to think now would be the actual worst time for me to start building up a new rig :/ here I was thinking I'd done my research this time only to find I actually have no bloody clue haha

My current rig consists of:
Aywun Game01 mid tower case
Athlon IIx2 260 OC'd to 3.8Ghz
Asus M4A78LT-M-LE
Sapphire Radeon HD 6570 (2GB)
8GB HyperX ram
550W PSU
500GB HDD
1TB HDD
Deepcool Gammaxx 300 cooler

Also I would like to thank you for your patience with me and for your help, had I known AMD was getting ready to release a new line of CPU's I would have held off asking all these questions lol

Sorry, I missed that last post of yours, I'm currently unemployed so I can't really afford to buy everything at once, I think I may just have to suffer for a while, financially I could build a new rig but only if I got it bit by bit then once I had all the parts I'd sit down and put it all together, plus I'm horrible when it comes to putting money aside for something hahaha

I'm in Australia so Newegg is out of the question for me, but that looks like a pretty reasonably priced SSD in that link, I was thinking the V8 GTS because I was thinking if I got the black 780T case the red would match up nicely with the included red LED fans, but if it won't hold up to the high temps I'll move towards the WC route, I haven't started this build yet so it's all just on paper at the moment, I had a quick glimpse at that Fractal Design case but I'm not really a fan of the look of it to be honest.

Cheers for shedding some light on the Zen processors, one question though, if it's DDR4/AM4 would that mean that I would have to choose a different mobo then to support it? starting to think now would be the actual worst time for me to start building up a new rig :/ here I was thinking I'd done my research this time only to find I actually have no bloody clue haha
\
I'm sure there's reviews on youtube for the v8 if you're still interested. With the case its all subjective and I am definitely not one to judge. I like the looks of your case but make sure it fits your radiator if you go with all in one cooling options. I actually really like the look of that case, I just was offering up a cheaper alternative. I can't judge, the case I have now on my gaming pc is a 300 dollar case when I bought it 7 years ago. Unless you go intel skylake, no its not a good time to buy. Even Intel's X99 platform is getting new cpus. I just built a new intel rig but am really interested in zen. I actually still kinda want one.

It does require a different mobo, AM3 is at the end of its life. AM4 comes out with the new Zen cpus. Bad time to buy....unless it really brings down prices of AM3 mobos and cpus.

If you buy slowly watch www.slickdeals.net daily for sales........

Also first thing I would buy is the case, cause you can use that.

2nd would be ssd and hdds.....can still be used with your current rig.

Next would be psu cause well you could use and test that.

Next maybe gpu as you could use that with your new psu but I would wait.

Last would be cpu mobo and ram, hold off as long as you can, maybe til zen.

Basically, I've rebuilt my old computers slowly to new computers like this.

Also the v8 and all AM3 coolers might not be compatible with zen, i'm not sure. It'll probably fit though and allow AM3 coolers, but idk.

Last edited:
Sorry for the slow reply mate, I've decided to hold off for the Zen processors to come out, cheers for listing it like that too, definitely helped a lot in choosing the order in which I'll get the bits n pieces I need. I appreciate the time you've taken to help answer my questions.

Peace
Corz

I was kinda hoping you would wait as AMD's current offering need to be replaced. Hope holding off on the build doesn't keep you from building it for too long. Watch out for reviews of the rx 480 on Youtube as well. Oh and one last thing, the Rx 480 supposedly only draws 150w, so it may work with your current computer depending on your power supply so you might be able to use it before you switch out to zen.

Back