• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting great results

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GenericSauron

Registered
Believe it or not, I got a system with 16GB dual-channel RAM and a Pentium N3700 and it is faster in everything I have tried so far than a Core i3-5010u laptop I have with 4GB single-channel RAM. Examples are Blender with a high polygon model, and Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare 2 (not officially supported, but runs at 1024x768). If you don't believe me, I am willing to post CPU-z screenshots of both systems or whatever you want that I can. It just seems like, the N3700 may be slightly faster than *some* benchmarks will have you believe, especially when paired with the right memory. Most reviews just seem to pair it with a 4GB stick of RAM.

Although I wouldn't say it's nearly as fast as a Core i5, it's truly performing like a system with 4 cores in Windows 10. I can't say whether it's actually faster than that i3, but a Pentium N3700 with 16GB dual-channel RAM and a Samsung 750 Evo SSD, is desirable to me over a i3-5010u with 4GB single-channel RAM and a 5400RPM hard drive.

Benchmarks:

Garden Warfare 2 @ 1024x768, low settings, Core i3 4GB - 18FPS
Garden Warfare 2 @ 1024x768, low settings, Pentium N3700 16GB - 20FPS

UPDATE: In favor of the i3, the i3 is 50% faster on the purely synthetic, GPU-limited benchmark Heaven. At least I found something it was faster at, haha.

Back