• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting my motherboard to the advertised "5.2 MT/s"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Oreo Slayer

Hello, I recently purchased a new computer and it's not quite running as advertised.
For instance, I'm using XMP DDR3 1866 Gskill RAM that was running at 1600 MHZ.

HERE IS WHAT I'M TRYING TO DO:
1. Increase my HTT from 2400 MHz to 2600 Mhz
2. Decrease my FSB to DRAM ratio. (currently 3:14)
3. Not burn out or void my CPU warranty (if possible)

Motherboard: http://www.biostar-usa.com/app/en-us/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=574
CPU: AMD FX 8350 (4GHz) Black Edition
RAM: http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=378
Graphics Card: nVidia GeForce GTX 570
PSU: OCZ 700W Game X Stream

Latest Drivers, BIOS, ect. The RAM isn't recognised by AMD Overdrive.

You write >> 1. Increase my HTT from 2400 MHz to 2600 Mhz
Answer >> Most of the Asus motherboards in the $125 Usd and up price range and with later bioses all default to that 2600Mhz speed.

You may need another motherboard. We seldom see users with Biostar mobos in this forum section. They had the high current thru mosfets scare and blow-up and most have stayed away from Biosstar AMD boards.

Well, the problem is... it was advertised at 2600 MHz. It was part of the reason I bought the board. Is there nothing I can do without it cooking?

1. We don't see many Biostar motherboards in here.
2. Because of #1 above we (surely I am not and here regular) are not in the least familiar with what bios menus and settings are available like with msot Asus and Gigabyte mobos.
3. You could take bios pics of the major settings for voltages and FSB and HT and in general good bios pics and we might be able to suggest some settings.
4. I hazard to guess that the manual for that mobo should have some description of the various settings in the bios.
5. In bios where HT Frequency is listed and arrowed/scrolled to there should be some information as to what is what. Most mobos have a little info to the right of bios screen.
6. I have used HT Frequency from about 1980Mhz to at least 2700Mhz on my CHV mobo with FX-8120 and newer FX-8350 and any performance increase is just un-noticable.

Thats the measure of the hypertransport bus. Stock speed on FX CPUs is 2.2Ghz CPU-NB and 2.6Ghz HT. Getting the NB frequency up to 2.6Ghz is definitely possible, though it does not make much of a difference.

Alrighty. I'm going to get as many pictures of my BIOS as possible to aid you... in aiding me.
There aren't any drop-down menus so I'll try to create a guide in order for you to see where I'm at.

Last edited:
Well, the problem is... it was advertised at 2600 MHz. It was part of the reason I bought the board. Is there nothing I can do without it cooking?

I don't see why it can't run at 2600mhz, but if it has to do with RAM incompatibility, then might that be the reason?

I don't see why it can't run at 2600mhz, but if it has to do with RAM incompatibility, then might that be the reason?

HT Frequency he is asking about how to set it to that frequency not that it will n0t run at that speed and so has nothing to do with Ram speed actually.

Well, I've been to that same page while in BIOS and it only went up to 2400 MHz... so I guess I'm SOL.
Too bad I can't get my money back since I had to RMA my first board for dying 10 minutes into use.

Well, I've been to that same page while in BIOS and it only went up to 2400 MHz... so I guess I'm SOL.
Too bad I can't get my money back since I had to RMA my first board for dying 10 minutes into use.

Sadly the sort of circumstane you face is likely why we don't see more Biostar boards for AMD in the forum.

The difference between 2400HT and 2600HT is not enough to be concerned with anyway. I would be far more concerned with gettting a stable overclock if you are into that sort of hobby and leave the HT worry alone.

I don't keep actual records in Excel or anything like that but it is my guesstimation after answering plenty of requests for help in here and reading most every thread, that probably 2 to 3 users out of 10, wish they had done otherwise when purchasing their motherboard. That is a pretty hefty percentage. Good luck to you in the actual use here on out with your system. RGone...ster.

Sadly the sort of circumstane you face is likely why we don't see more Biostar boards for AMD in the forum.

The difference between 2400HT and 2600HT is not enough to be concerned with anyway. I would be far more concerned with gettting a stable overclock if you are into that sort of hobby and leave the HT worry alone.

I don't keep actual records in Excel or anything like that but it is my guesstimation after answering plenty of requests for help in here and reading most every thread, that probably 2 to 3 users out of 10, wish they had done otherwise when purchasing their motherboard. That is a pretty hefty percentage. Good luck to you in the actual use here on out with your system. RGone...ster.

I think it depends on the CPU installed. I have an Biostar 785GE 128M which goes up to 5.2MT/s but it's only displaying 800mhz because I'm currently using an AM2 cpu. This page shows that: http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=455#spec

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HyperTransport#Frequency_specifications
"Common clock rates for these processor links are 800 MHz to 1 GHz (older single and multi socket systems on 754/939/940 links) and 1.6 GHz to 2.0 GHz (newer single socket systems on AM2+/AM3 links - most newer cpus using 2.0Ghz). While HyperTransport itself is capable of 32-bit width links, that width is not currently utilized by any AMD processors. "

The maximum speed Vishera's FX 8350 is 2200mhz:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_FX#.22Vishera.22_.2832_nm_SOI.29
So 2400 MHz is only listing the maximum the CPU series is capable of, not the motherboard. And only the 81xx series are capable of that, along with FX-4150, 4170, 6200, 8150, and 8300s+. The maximum Phenoms IIs are 2000mhz.

Last edited:

Right, I mentioned that the FX platform hasn't yet utilized up to 5600MT/s, but 4400MT/s: http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/processors/amdfx/Pages/amdfx-model-number-comparison.aspx "HyperTransport™ Technology
HyperTransport™ Technology up to 4000MT/s full duplex, or up to 16.0GB/s I/O Bandwidth"

Regardless my CHV board will default to HT Freq at 2600Mhz / 5.2Mts if I flash the latest Vishera bios. That is why I suggested he use the latest bios and if still not satisfied to contact Biostar Tech Support. Most of the Asus bioses I have seen first hand when updated for the latest Vishera will show 5.2Mts as default. I don't find it makes much difference one way or the other. The OP seemed to want that setting in bios for his Biostar board and I doubted it happening unless they update the bios if they can.

The HT Link frequency can be limited by the chipset of the motherboard.

Back