• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting stuff straight

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mateo

Im in the middle of a VERY extensive mod, which I would like to do as professionally as possible. So far, I have made some relatively neat cuts, but they're a tiny bit wavy, and Id like to make them as straight as possible. Ive filed it down a bit, but I dont think Ill end up with it as straight as Id like. Do you guys with a lot of experience have any tips?

Note: this is my first mod, and first extensive experience with a range of tools, so it might be my own unskillage at work

Edit: BTW, Im working with steel here, so its not as easy as cutting cheese.

Its the regular 1mm thick steel used in most cases...I used a jigsaw to cut most of it, and a dremel cutting bit (one of the tungsten carbide cutter things, not a disk) to get some tighter spots. Its not the tool, its getting a slightly uneven surface(difference of ~1/16-1/32 in on the surface, not much but aggravating) as even and flat as possible.

for the jigsaw, grab a straight piece of 1/2 or whatever straight, align the jigsaw in the cut, the clamp the "straight edge" down to the metal and vualla! A straight line :D

But don't you cut into that guide while you're at it? I got things reasonably straight with the jigsaw, but if I want the accuracy Im looking for, I dont think I could do it like that b/c the blade would be all fux0red.

Maybe what Im looking for only comes with a waterjet, but Im sure there's gotta be some easier way to make stuff neat.

well, you see on a jig saw, there the metal platform the whole saw rests on while cutting (get it?) and you alight the straight edge to that metal base to get a straight edge~ GO SLOW~ also, if you are worried, get some automotive trim and use it ;)

I see what you're saying, but in this one particular situation there wasn't enough room to do that, because of uneven surfaces (stuff sticking up), and it was near the edge, so I used a pair of blocks to create an even surface to put the jigsaw on...I suppose I could rig up something like what you're saying...

God thats simple I feel stupid now :eek:

Oh and half of this cutting is the internal frame, and the other half is two really detailed windows...I cant and wont use auto trim ;)

BTW I do go slow ;)

Thanks for all the help :)

Can't wait to post this sucker, though it'll be about 2-3 months from now at least. Today's the first day I really got a chance to work on it a lot (school sucks like that) so yeah Im hyped :)

Back