• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting the most out of my 9600xt

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IrelandMadMan

Hi there :)

I bought a 9600xt a while back and it has done its job perfect up untill now. I like to run gfx details on high so I am now starting to struggle with games like Riddick and even Sims 2, Far cry and so on.

Rest of spec :

XP Pro
xp2600
Lanparty NF2
1GB PC3200
80GB
400W PSU
19" Flat screen

The games will run ok but can be sluggish at times. Is it worth tryin to overclock the card or is it time to upgrade?
Or maybe its possible i have a setting wrong in the bios??

Cheers :shrug:

Definitly OC that card, some of them go very high, unlike mine. If it still isn't enough, you can vmod it which will help the OC.

:temper: Looks like my card does not overclock that much

Core stopped increasing at 520.94 , mem 335.12. Ati tool keeps running after the speeds stop increasing, maybe a fault i dunno? first time user.

Last edited:
When it stops increasing, it goes back, testing the lower speeds until they fail. To get more out of the card, try the vmods (if you can), and get better cooling.

I notice you have an xp2600 cpu, thats your main problem. Upgrading to a64 will give serious increases in game fps. I have no problems with my games and even on my old ti4200 farcry runs like a dream cause of cpu power

Overclocker550 said:
I notice you have an xp2600 cpu, thats your main problem. Upgrading to a64 will give serious increases in game fps. I have no problems with my games and even on my old ti4200 farcry runs like a dream cause of cpu power

i just wanted to concur with this statement if ocing your current card doesnt get you where you want to be you can get a new a64 cpu and mobo for less than a new videocard just about.

Ahhhh looks like im gonna have to spend some money. Just as you mention there about the ti4200, In my other machine I have an xp2200 with 512mb and ti4200 and an old MSI board and it runs some games better than my main system.

What cpu and board do you think I should go for?

IrelandMadMan said:
Thanks for the reply :attn:

I am getting 4006 in 03 thats with nothing overclocked

that's pretty damn good. I get 4100 with my 9600xt OC to 580/840, which is tons more powerful than stock. I get like 3300 with nothing OCed, looks like I need a new processor...

Dan

Seems that the most I can get from my cpu is 2.26ghz at 2.3 it keeps restarting windows.

Im gonna do a new 3d 03 test with my lightly overclocked card and see what the new score is.

4161 new score.

I will probably go with the new cpu and board and then mod the gfx card, get a bit more life from it.

Yep go athlon 64 :D

Ure card is pretty old tho now so i would upgrade to at least a 6600GT that`s if you`re spending money on the A64s and new board might as well go the whole shabang :D

Ok i am starting to have fun now :p

I removed the fan from my card and put some new paste on there, I also mounted a cooler master aero fan over the top of it, not very nice lookin but seems to be helping a lot.

It now reaches 348 mem and 556 core, and my 3d mark is now 4393

suppose thats not bad, but I dont see it going any higher :shrug:

I am away to price cpu and board, thanks everyone for the help

what did you use to overclock it? Maybe i can get a bit more out of mine. I was just using ati tool, I know very little about overclockin gfx cards so any info would be great.

Cheers

To OC I use rivatuner, OC to 570/390. You OC manually, till it starts showing artifacts in 3d applicattions.

Dan

Back