• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ok, (lots of censored words) sick of my PC restarting all the time

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mario1

Grammer, its my favoriate thing
What the (censored, censored, censored) is wrong with my PC?
I just reached 26% on my protein folding and when I killed VirtualDJ, because it was not responding my PC randomly restarted and now I'm starting all over again.
Everytime I kill an unresponding process my PC restarts and I lose all my F@H work
Code:
[23:32:54] Project: 6055 (Run 0, Clone 167, Gen 29)
[23:32:54]
[23:32:54] Entering M.D.
[23:33:00] Using Gromacs checkpoints
[23:33:02] Resuming from checkpoint
[23:33:02] File work/wudata_01.log has changed since last checkpoint
[23:33:02] mdrun returned 3
[23:33:02] Gromacs detected an invalid checkpoint.  Restarting...
[23:33:03] Folding@home Core Shutdown: UNKNOWN_ERROR
[23:33:07] CoreStatus = 62 (98)
[23:33:07] + Restarting core (settings changed)
[23:33:07]
[23:33:07] + Processing work unit
[23:33:07] Core required: FahCore_a3.exe
[23:33:07] Core found.
[23:33:07] Working on queue slot 01 [September 1 23:33:07 UTC]
[23:33:07] + Working ...
[23:33:07] - Calling '.\FahCore_a3.exe -dir work/ -nice 19 -suffix 01 -np 8 -che
ckpoint 15 -notermcheck -verbose -lifeline 2240 -version 630'

[23:33:07] *------------------------------*
[23:33:07] Folding@Home Gromacs SMP Core
[23:33:07] Version 2.22 (Mar 12, 2010)
[23:33:07] Preparing to commence simulation
[23:33:07] - Looking at optimizations...
[23:33:07] - Not checking prior termination.
[23:33:07] - Expanded 1766085 -> 2251569 (decompressed 127.4 percent)
[23:33:07] Called DecompressByteArray: compressed_data_size=1766085 data_size=22
51569, decompressed_data_size=2251569 diff=0
[23:33:07] - Digital signature verified
[23:33:07] Project: 6055 (Run 0, Clone 167, Gen 29)
[23:33:08] Assembly optimizations on if available.
[23:33:08] Entering M.D.
[23:33:15] Completed 0 out of 500000 steps  (0%)
Thanks in advance to everybody who responds to this topic.
Aditional specs:
Motherboard:Foxconn G31MX-K
CPU:Intel Pentium E5400
GPU:Sapphire HD4550
HDD:Hitachi #unknown model#
PSU:Cheap 20$ power supply, it says its 400w, but it feels more like 300-350w to me lol.
P.S I'm stuck with Windows XP, because my DVD-Rom died on me, I'd go Windows 7 if my (censored) Lite-On didn't die on me.

what tests have you run on the hardware to verify that you don't have a defective part?
is everything running at stock?
have you verified your memory settings are correct? voltage and timings?

Yes.
Everything is running at stock -
CPU 2700mhz @ 1,35v
GPU 600/750
RAM 800mhz (1:2) 1,8v @ 6-6-6-18
Ran prime95 for 12h while logging temps with RealTemp, they peaked at 65c.
Checked voltages under load, no vdrop/vdroop.
Can't MemTest, because I don't have a DVD drive.

Are those the timings and voltages recommended by the mem manufacturer? Sometimes the voltage needs to be higher, such as 2.1v to be stable. Also the timings might be real crappy, like 9-9-9-28 or something. You didn't mention what memory kit it is.

Also can you find ou more info on the PSU? The brand and/or model would be nice.

You said you ran prime95, so the build GENERALLY seems stable. It is either a problem with the memory, the video card itself, or the video card not getting proper power from the PSU. Try running something else that is graphics intensive, such as Furmark. Check to see if the temps are getting hot on the GPU.

Are those the timings and voltages recommended by the mem manufacturer? Sometimes the voltage needs to be higher, such as 2.1v to be stable. Also the timings might be real crappy, like 9-9-9-28 or something. You didn't mention what memory kit it is.

Also can you find ou more info on the PSU? The brand and/or model would be nice.

You said you ran prime95, so the build GENERALLY seems stable. It is either a problem with the memory, the video card itself, or the video card not getting proper power from the PSU. Try running something else that is graphics intensive, such as Furmark. Check to see if the temps are getting hot on the GPU.
Ok I'll run Furmark and post the temps here.
The PSU doesnt have a brand, as I said its a 20$ chinese piece of s**t :D .
The ram timmings and voltage are recommended by the memory manufacturer.
4-4-4-12 @ 533mhz, 5-5-5-15 @ 664mhz, 6-6-6-18 @ 800mhz.
My GPU is fairly new and still in warranty so I can replace it if thats the problem, but I'm starting to think that its the PSU.
@CgS Drone
I can't test my memory, because I dont' have any DVD-ROM drive.
MemTest thingy should be written to a CD/DVD disc which you boot from.
:shrug:

The temps peaked at 65c, but mainly were 63-64.
Lowest temp 47c (when on idle) after 10-15 min testing or so the temps went to 62-63c and they peak @ 65c, but the temp drops with 1-2c after a few seconds so yeah max temp 63-64c.
FurMark settings used:
Run mode:Stability test
Xtreme Burning Mode
Fullscreen
Resolution:1680x1050
MSAA Samlples: 4X

you can use a linux live cd if you have one to do it. Also give me a few min. going to write up how to do it on usb. memtest made it easy now.

memtest can also be loaded to a USB stick, if the stick is setup for that...

Well I have dualboot setuped so I have Kubuntu installed on my PC.
The USB MemTest won't work for me, because my PC doesnt detect my flash drive at all (detects everything - ipod, mp3, camera etc, but my flash drive) I also have a topic on this lol.
I think you still need a MemTest CD even if you're running Linux, right?

Pick one of the smaller Live distributions that can fit on a CD and use Live CD, instead of the Live DVD. This would give you memtest when you boot from the CD.

None of the OS'es would mean anything since you are using the bootloader from the CD.

Pick one of the smaller Live distributions that can fit on a CD and use Live CD, instead of the Live DVD. This would give you memtest when you boot from the CD.

None of the OS'es would mean anything since you are using the bootloader from the CD.

Lol, I forgot to say that my DVD-ROM was a DVD/CD combo, so I also can't read CDs.
Thanks for everybody's support, I'll revive this topic as soon as I get my DVD-ROM drive (this sunday), because I don't think that we could come to an end without testing all of the components. :thup:

It might an OS error due to memory management. You could try disabling the Auto Restart feature..

Navigate to the Control Panel in Windows XP by left-clicking on Start, followed by Settings and then choosing Control Panel.

In the Control Panel window, open System.

Note: In Microsoft Windows XP, depending on how your operating system is setup, you may not see the System icon. To correct this, click on the link on the left-hand side of the Control Panel window that says Switch to Classic View.

In the System Properties window, click on the Advanced tab.

Locate the Startup and Recovery area and click on the Settings button.

In the Startup and Recovery window, locate and uncheck the check box next to Automatically restart.

Next thing to do is to wait for it to happen again and see if it still restarts..

It might an OS error due to memory management. You could try disabling the Auto Restart feature..

Navigate to the Control Panel in Windows XP by left-clicking on Start, followed by Settings and then choosing Control Panel.

In the Control Panel window, open System.

Note: In Microsoft Windows XP, depending on how your operating system is setup, you may not see the System icon. To correct this, click on the link on the left-hand side of the Control Panel window that says Switch to Classic View.

In the System Properties window, click on the Advanced tab.

Locate the Startup and Recovery area and click on the Settings button.

In the Startup and Recovery window, locate and uncheck the check box next to Automatically restart.

Next thing to do is to wait for it to happen again and see if it still restarts..
Thanks, I'll try that and will post back after 1-2 days to tell you guys if the problem ocurred again.

Just curious, how did you check that you're voltages are ok?
Even if the voltages are good, the PSU could be the culprit. Overheating PSU's can be a problem.

Just curious, how did you check that you're voltages are ok?
Even if the voltages are good, the PSU could be the culprit. Overheating PSU's can be a problem.

PSU tester that tests the 3v, 5v and 12v lines.
I believe my PSU is not overheating, because the air coming off it is warm, but not so hot.
Installed Windows 7 via my Flash Drive and the problem still persists.
The temp inside my PC is actually pretty cool, because temperatures outside dropped radically + the lower ambient temps = 44-45c on a passively cooled HD4550 600/750 @ 700/900. CPU idles @ 36c, motherboard 37c, HDD 37-38.
:shrug:
Once again thanks to you and the rest of you guys for replying. :) :thup:

Mario1, have you looked over the motherboard for anything out of place? loose connections or maybe a humped up capacitor? small brown/yellowed area. Reseated the ram? South bridge hot? Sorry bouncing things out there now I know.

I checked my temps out of my power supply, with an ambient temp of 23.5C I am getting 32.5C out of the power supply on one of mine and 33.5C on the other one.

Last edited:
Mario1, have you looked over the motherboard for anything out of place? loose connections or maybe a humped up capacitor? small brown/yellowed area. Reseated the ram? South bridge hot? Sorry bouncing things out there now I know.

I checked my temps out of my power supply, with an ambient temp of 23.5C I am getting 32.5C out of the power supply on one of mine and 33.5C on the other one.

Yup, cables are not loose, capacitors are ok, reseated ram 3 times, south bridge is about 37c, which I believe is actually pretty good.
Haven't tested the amperage of the PSU, because meaning that the voltage is ok doesn't necessarily mean that the amperage is good, I believe ?
I might be wrong, but I'll test it as soon as I dig out my amp meter.
Will keep you updated and thanks for the help. :thup:

Back