• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting to be time for a new motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Niku-Sama

time to take advantage of all that i can, besides i have a serious bottleneck some where and i belive its in the motherboard

i'm looking for:
AM3+
support for 8 cores
heatsinked mosfets for CPU (other sould be nice)
4 slots for ram (or 8 if possible) speed is meh
2 or more full speed PCI 16x 3.0 slots
NO ASUS
have had biostar the last few times and want to try some one else
UEFI i dont care about
ability to unlock cores and OC on top of that

specs are in sig but i think arent updated. I know the mobo in it is current but the processor is a 960T with 2 extras unlocked running 3.0Ghz for now, MSI 7870, 1x 320gb SATAII drive, 1x 1tb SATAIII drive, 16gb gskill ripjaw (4x4gb)
Potental to add 2x 60gb or 2x120gb SSD in raid 0 for ****s and giggles

You won't get any noticeable performance improvements from swapping the motherboard for a better one, unless your current one won't let you overclock.

2 or more full speed PCI 16x 3.0 slots = Not happening anytime soon. At the current state of video card data transfer the PCI3 3.0 is just overkill.

NO ASUS = In my opinion right now Asus has the better top of the line boards in Sabertooth and CHV for use with the later FX-series processors which is the reason to go AM3+ anyway.

UEFI i dont care about = Even Gigabyte has gone UEFI since the Intel boards now 'must' have UEFI.

if not asus then asrock is the next on the list in my book next under that would be gigabyte.

You won't get any noticeable performance improvements from swapping the motherboard for a better one, unless your current one won't let you overclock.

actually i've noticed big differenced when switching from one mobo to another but this is mainly because i got the 960T cheap as a stop gap measure before something else came out and it seems to me a new FX processor would be nice and to take advantage of that i would need AM3+

also the HT bus on the 960T is greater than that on the AM3 board i'm using now, normally i push the hell out of the HT bus and i have noticable improvments in load times and transfer rates as well as boot up times (hmm they all sound like pretty much the same thing) and i've pushed this board hard and its no longer able to maintain any thing on the HT bus over 2000Mhz.

it could also be the fact i am stressing it out with 2 more cores and wanting more bus speed

2 or more full speed PCI 16x 3.0 slots = Not happening anytime soon. At the current state of video card data transfer the PCI3 3.0 is just overkill.

NO ASUS = In my opinion right now Asus has the better top of the line boards in Sabertooth and CHV for use with the later FX-series processors which is the reason to go AM3+ anyway.

UEFI i dont care about = Even Gigabyte has gone UEFI since the Intel boards now 'must' have UEFI.

its over kill now but it wont be in the future, i'm buying a house and i dont know when the next time i'll be able to upgrade will be

Asus makes crap, there i said it

I was just making it known that i dont care if the board had or didnt have UEFI bios. its nothing new to me. Had a pentium - (- just a pentium) a long time ago that had a UEFI like bios, mouse pointer and everything in it. looked alot like windows 3.1 with dos colors. was pretty cool.

if not asus then asrock is the next on the list in my book next under that would be gigabyte.

any piticular ones you'd pick with AS-Rock or Gigglebyte?
AS-Rock is completely severed from Asus and is a compltely different company on its own using its own components now right?

extreme 3 or extreme 4.
reading other peoples posts they are having few issuses on install and having very good results with the asrock boards and the cost is not a budget killer.
i have read very few posts that include issuses other than those that are self induced
and fewer that include the rma deal.
I have just built a little bugger with a 955be stepping 2 cpu and an older biostar board, if the poor, aged biostar is not up to it asrock is what i am going for to put in it.

keep me posted on your biostar.

i've had several AMD biostar boards and they are well bulit but every single one of them i have had has hadan issue in the bios. usually a stupid mis labling in the bios but it makes like difficult.

one of them was if you selected to manually set the ram speed the next option was what ram speed you wanted it to be and the selections were one set above than what was labled in the bios.

for instance if you wanted to run your ram at 800Mhz and you selected 800Mhz it would actually run 667Mhz. so if ou wanted to run at a true 800Mhz you would have to pick the option above 800Mhz.

really stupid mistake, and it was never fixed in an update but alot of other problems were

my biostar is just an old ta790gx-a3+ it's pushing the little 955 along just fine.
for overclocking in the bios it's iffy and not one i could really tell someone to use.
but i've got it to 4.2 and thats about all your going to get out of a 955 stepping 2 anyway, i run it at 4.1 24/7 right now under linux.
If it was a windows machine i would use software to overclock on it because it's bios clocking is a little limited.

if i was going to try another gigabyte board it would only be the latest and greatest from them.
from what i have read in the forums i read, i would avoid current biostar boards like i would msi.

Back