• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

gigabyte 890fxa-ud5 & bulldozer?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

creepy

Looking to get a fx-6100 bulldozer here in a few hours and was wondering if you guys could confirm that it will indeed work with the gigabyte 890fxa-ud5 board. If so would it be plug and play or a bios update needed etc? Thanks.

You might need a BIOS update but it should work, its not a perfect solution but if its what youve got and what you want then go for it.

Thanks earthdog. I misread it as an 8 core on newegg. The 8120 is what im gonna get but based on the link you gave me itll work :).

ssjwizard what makes it not a perfect solution? Asking because I do not know and would like to learn. Im guessing because the board is not 100% designed to work with the bulldozers, it just does so by using the bios update as a crutch?

As for what I have and what I want part. What I have is in sig, it runs everything great w/o lag but seems to be bottle necking the video cards. As both cards only hit about 50% maybe a bit more on bf3 maxed out, still produces great fps and no lag just minor fps drops that I can feel here and there but isnt anything major, all 6 cores run at about 70%. So I was hoping going with the 8120 may help out. I was going to go all out with an intel cpu/board setup someone posted up for me awhile back but I just find it some what wasteful to invest that kind of cash for what I do with the computer and my lack of seriousness (i guess thats how you could put it) in this hobby.

Most benchmarks put the 1100T and the FX-8150 pretty much equal. The advantages of BD wont be seen for a while still, and the 890 chipset doesnt fully support BD and all of its features. BD also has a hungry appetite for power I would not recommend putting a heavily clocked FX on a board that the VRM section wasnt built to the specs for it. That is why I said it isnt a perfect solution.

Are both 6970s in 16x slots? It only makes minor difference but if you can you should config them that way.
Overclocking the HT link speed and the CPU NB speed can also increase the throughput of your GPUs.

Make sure the 890FXA is a version 3.x or the BD won't fit. Needs a black 942 pin socket. Older blue 940 pin sockets won't take the BD.

Thanks for all the info. The board is indeed the 3.1 version. The cpu came in today but im having issues updating the bios..Or making the bootable usb should I say.

When I run the autoexec to create the bootable usb it tells me xxxxx cannot run due to incompatibility with 64 bit windows. Any suggestions as to how to get around this?

ssjwizard, both gpu's are in 16x slots. Overclocked the nb by 400mhz and kept ht the same still no luck. Both cards stay around 50%. Kinda defeats the purpose of having 2 cards :shrug:

Last time ive done a bios update was about 8-10 years ago when you had to do it by floppy disc lol.

gigabyte has a really handy tool called @BioS that you can run from windows. Ived used it on 5 different mobos sofar without fail.

Thanks. I found that between my last post and now.

I tried it with the auto update, only updated from FB to FD bios. So I double checked the board again and it is for sure a rev 3.1 So I downloaded the fec bios and plan on trying to update from file. Ill let you know how it all works out.

Update from file worked out just fine. @BioS is now reading that its running the fec bios. Time to pop in the bd and see how much it can disappoint me ;).

It fired right up first try. No issues at all. Thanks again everyone.

Pretty disappointed, ill probably drop the 1100t back in here in a few hours. Quiet n cool, turbo boost,etc is all disabled but for whatever reason when under 100% load cores randomly drop down to 2.8ghz, then back up to 4.5ghz. Also no difference what so ever in gpu useage.

Last edited:
Back