• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte 990 UD3 running 16 gb of mem. 2 at 667 and 2 at 800 need help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thatbonokid

I just noticed that 2 of my sticks are running at 667 and 2 are running at 800 (Plus the fsb overclock). All 4 of my sticks of memory are 1600, but 2 a corsair vengance and 2 are just out of an i7 machine. Any idea? I have it all set to manual in the bios.

Attachments

• oc forums.jpg
    oc forums.jpg
    567.5 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
The SPD tab is just information stored on the stick about its rated speed. The memory tab shows what it's actually running at, 840MHz (1600MHz effective since DDR is Double Data Ratel) with a CAS latency of 11.

so youre positive all of my memory is running at that speed? it said in 3d mark vantage that i had 2 sticks of 667 and 2 of 800.. when my corsair vengance is supposed to be 800. do you think if i went in my bios and set them all to the timings of the corsair that it would run stable? i already set the timings to an inbetween of both sets of memory and its working.

it also hops around from 500ish to 800 and my processor hops around from 3.8ish to 4.3. how can i make it stay at a constant speed? or is this jumping of speeds a good thing?

Do you see the difference in the memory? what would be better timings?

Attachments

• ocforums.jpg
    ocforums.jpg
    367.1 KB · Views: 62
It's not possible for sticks to be running at separate speeds, they all must run at the same speed. 3DMark Vantage is reading the SPD tables on the memory stick, where the rated speeds of the stick are stored.

Lower timings are better. Your Corsair sticks are faster than the Hyundai sticks, but since all sticks run at the same speed, you'll be limited by the speed of the Hyundai sticks.

To stop the jumping around, disable all C states, EIST (Enhanced Intel Speedstep) and Intel Turbo Mode in the BIOS.

A lot of software reports memory speed as DDR bus rate rather than DDR3 transfer rate. That's why it looks like your memory is running at half speed. Just two ways of measuring the same thing.

To stop the jumping around, disable all C states, EIST (Enhanced Intel Speedstep) and Intel Turbo Mode in the BIOS.

So for your FX-8120 that translates to, C states, Cool 'N Quiet, and Core Performance Boost.

Also setting windows power management to "High Performance" will help to limit CPU speed fluctuations.

Back