• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte EP45-UD3P

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm still tweaking my setup. I'm hitting a stupid hard wall at 3.6, so I'm toying with some of the other voltages. Basically just copied some of the settings I hadn't touched from oc nubs settings to see if it was a chipset issue. I guess we'll see.

You may not need some of your voltages this high running a dual core. I am trying for max stable overclock but I don't run it like this all the time. I'm happy at 4.0ghz with much more reasonable voltages. Try looking for a template from someone running a dual core. There are differences in the reference voltages when using a dual vs a quad.

I'm still tweaking my setup. I'm hitting a stupid hard wall at 3.6, so I'm toying with some of the other voltages. Basically just copied some of the settings I hadn't touched from oc nubs settings to see if it was a chipset issue. I guess we'll see.

Have you tried looking at this thread "Official E5200 Overclocking Thread" over at XS? It might help you to figure out what to expect from your chip.

Aynjell, Looking at the link posted by Mysterfix, 3.6 is a respectable overclock on that CPU. The guys getting higher are not doing so based on Intel specs. Unless you don't mind risking a dead chip I would stay at or under the max vcore recommended by intel.

I just got a EP45-UD3R yesterday. Pretty impresseed so far. I have read thru this thread and most of the one over at ES about these boards. Mine went together easy and I flashed it to BIOS F9 (was F6) right away.

My question:
I tried a few of the BIOS templates I have seen with no luck. PC just beeps/freezes. But here is what is crazy. With EasyTune I can hit the 'Overclock to 3.6ghz' button, reboot, and it runs 3.6ghz just fine! I let it run P95 overnight and it did that without a hickup. CPUz said vcore was 1.250and real temp said 54c max temp. What is EasyTune doing I am not??? And what scares me is I am reading in this thread, if I understand this right, EasyTune runs some of the voltages too high, as in DANGEROUS too high.

I admit it. I'm overwhelmed by all the settings in this BIOS. Is there a simple way to do this? Anyone seen a BIOS Template for a Q9450? Actually 3.2ghz will be fine for what this PC does, mainly rip and encode DVDs.

Any help appreciated!

Case: HTPC case
PSU: Corsair 650w
RAM: GSkill 2x2gb kit F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK
CPU: Q9450
Heatsink: ThermalRight AX-140
Video: 7900GS

i have the q9450 too. it should do 3.2 fairly easy, you can leave everything on auto or even better on normal. i get 3.6 stable but have to raise vcore to 1.3625v.
anything higher needs heavy volts. i get up to 3.8 with 475x8 but 1.45 vcore.
i would like to be able to join the 4gig club with this chip, mobo combo.
i hope i will, will do some more clocking soon.
oc nub last template looks very promising

I just got a EP45-UD3R yesterday. Pretty impresseed so far. I have read thru this thread and most of the one over at ES about these boards. Mine went together easy and I flashed it to BIOS F9 (was F6) right away.

My question:
I tried a few of the BIOS templates I have seen with no luck. PC just beeps/freezes. But here is what is crazy. With EasyTune I can hit the 'Overclock to 3.6ghz' button, reboot, and it runs 3.6ghz just fine! I let it run P95 overnight and it did that without a hickup. CPUz said vcore was 1.250and real temp said 54c max temp. What is EasyTune doing I am not??? And what scares me is I am reading in this thread, if I understand this right, EasyTune runs some of the voltages too high, as in DANGEROUS too high.

I admit it. I'm overwhelmed by all the settings in this BIOS. Is there a simple way to do this? Anyone seen a BIOS Template for a Q9450? Actually 3.2ghz will be fine for what this PC does, mainly rip and encode DVDs.

Any help appreciated!

Case: HTPC case
PSU: Corsair 650w
RAM: GSkill 2x2gb kit F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK
CPU: Q9450
Heatsink: ThermalRight AX-140
Video: 7900GS

I dont think there is a simple way. You have to learn the reference voltages first. when setting them, leave the cpu term voltage at 1.20v, then set the reference voltages for cpu ref and mch ref. then leave them alone and raise the cpu termination as needed. what has worked best for me is setting the cpu ref to .785 and the mch ref to .80 with 1.20 cpu term. then raising the cpu term. as needed. the mch ref normally needs to be 1 or 2 nothces above the cpu ref. Remember that once you raise the cpu term above 1.20v, ET6 will not read the ref's correctly, when you get into windows and open ET6 they will not show what you set in the bios. Then you need to figure out what latch you need for your ram. Sometimes it seems to work better leaving the latch to auto and just setting it to 200b, 240b, d or whatever you are trying . Remember that a quad will need more mch/nb voltage than a core2duo. I didnt get very far with 1.20mch. Usually need at least 1.260 min to get stable but when going for higher fsb 1,.30 to 1.36 was needed. Put a fan blowing on your NB to keep it cool if possible. I removed the Gigabyte cover from my nb to expose the hs and try and help keep it cool. Used a hair dryer to heat it up then slowly pry it off with a thin flat head. NOT suggesting anyone do that but I saw it on another thread and wanted to try it. Also...post templates of your exact settings, makes it easy for someone trying to help you. There is another thread on this mobo on XS with tons of templates and info, was hoping this thread would get bigger on this forum but i guess it isn't going to happen.

Last edited:
Well I got it doing 3200 real easy. For now that is fast enough for that PC. All I use it for is DVD ripping/encoding. Anyway here is a screenshot of where I am on it.

My question: I keep reading to keep VTT voltage to 1.4v max. Is the VTT setting in the BIOS the CPU Termination setting?

Last edited:
Thank you mysterfix :) What impresses me more than the motherboard is how cool the 45nm quads run. The heatsink on this is actually a mediocre one yet it runs nice and cool. I have a Q6600 (a 1.200VID) in another PC with a TRUE on it and a load of 120mm fans in there that runs MUCH hotter than this Q9450.

Recently purchased EP45-UD3P with e8400 and g.skill F2-8800CL5D-4GBPI (2x2GB). Having some problems getting this memory stable at 1066MHz. No overclocking yet, just doing some basic testing with everything at stock. Application hang with Prime95 after serveral hours with the "Prime95 has encountered an error and must close......." error. This points to memory problems so I started testing with memtest86+ v2.01.

First I loaded optimized defaults in BIOS just to make sure everything was nice and clean. Then changed CPU Vcore to 1.9v (stock voltage), everything else left as is, including XMP at AUTO, so timings are set to 5 5 5 15 (stock timings). I get memtest errors in test 6, not every pass. (Test 6 seems to be the only test that gives errrors so I'm just testing with test 6). Error is always in the same place, either at around 1250 (module 1) or 3300 (module 2). Increasing MCH Core seems to help a little, delays error 'till around pass 6, but not totally consistent.

If I disable XMP, memory defaults to 5 7 7 20 at 800Mhz and it seems stable there, 10 passes of memtest with no errors. I don't think the memory is faulty but I can't seem to run the memory at 1066 without any memtest errors. I didn't think I needed to tweak all settings just to get the memory to run at stock. I did see one other user on here with this g.skill memory (8800s) on this UD3D board. I'm open to suggestions as to what I can try next.

I'm currently in the same boat as Aynjell.

I have an E5300 that I'm trying to get to run at 333 FSB (I would love 400, but I don't think thats going to happen). So far, I can get it to boot at 333FSB and 800mhz RAM using 1.365 voltage, however it isn't stable. When I try to set it to 1066 RAM using AUTO voltage (which it sets to 1.41V, way too high for me) it will boot, but, again, isn't stable. Setting it to 1.365 won't POST.

Currently I'm running stable at 285x11 @ 1.225V and 1066 RAM @ 2.08V (2.2 spec). Everything else is set at auto, here is what ET6 is reporting:

CPU PLL: 1.65V
CPU Termination: 1.3V
MCH Core: 1.3V

Windows seems stable at this setting and I'm running IntelBurn right now (1st test reported okay)..

Does anyone have any ideas on how I could get this thing to 333 FSB?

EDIT: Got BSOD on the beginning of a 5 test IntelBurn, but Windows has been having issues booting so it might just be a software issue.

Last edited:
As an update, I'm now running at 266x11 stable (after 5 IntelBurn runs). Max temps with stock cooler are about 70C and voltage is around 1.3...

Would still like to figure out a way to squeeze a little bit more out of the FSB and/or get the voltage lower. Any ideas of where to start? Are my issues with the 800mhz bus that the E5300 likes to run on?

Thanks for catching that. For some reason the BIOS set it to that automatically... yikes!

I'm now running at 1.275 vCORE, 1.57 PLL, all others stock.

Current speed is 266x12 (3.192ghz), 1066 RAM and it seems 100% stable. I've basically given up on a higher FSB, as I think the CPU just won't have it. 285 FSB could be a possibility for stable, but honestly I don't think it will increase performance enough for me to care. I would have to bump the voltages even more, which just means more heat, and with the stock cooler...

I'm going to run IntelBurn 20 times overnight to see what max temps are, but it seems like they will be around 68C... a little warm, but for stock cooler with this overclock not too bad. I did some DVD conversion earlier and it only got the CPU up to 55C (my most strenuous application), so IntelBurn really does stress these things to their fullest.

Picked up an EO e8400 to try in this board. Didnt get a great oc'er but temps are good with high vcore.

Attachments

• 44ghzlessvcor1.jpg
    44ghzlessvcor1.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 1,007
4.4 fully stable ?

If its OCCT stable or whatever you use for testing then its pretty good .

4.4 fully stable ?

If its OCCT stable or whatever you use for testing then its pretty good .

Its Orthos stable 8hrs which is great but I had to go higher on the vcore than I had wanted. Not sure what the real max vcore is for the 45nm EO cpu's. 1.3625 is what I thought but have heard others say 1.45 on the EO's. Either way temps are good even with the higher vcore.

Hello everyone,

I am new to the OCF and overclocking. I just recently got this board and a E8600; I'm trying to OC the e8600 as much as possible on air alone.

Here's what I got:
- Antec 300 Tower
- G.Skill 4GB (2 x 2GB) of G.Skill DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666), Cas Latency = 9, Timing = 9-9-9-24, voltage = 1.5v
- Antec EA650 (650W) PSU
- ATI Radeon HD 4770 (well, I'm actually still waiting on Amazon to ship it)

Like I said, I'm a complete n00b when it comes to OC'ing. I'd really appreciate any help I can get. TIA.

Its Orthos stable 8hrs which is great but I had to go higher on the vcore than I had wanted. Not sure what the real max vcore is for the 45nm EO cpu's. 1.3625 is what I thought but have heard others say 1.45 on the EO's. Either way temps are good even with the higher vcore.

Strange, your avatar makes me wanna switch to nVidia.........:eek:

I'm hoping to have my Q9650 on this board within the next few days. My forst one had a short within 5 minutes, but I suspect that was due to the case as it replaced my Maximus Extreme which also just died mysteriously in the same manner.

Strange, your avatar makes me wanna switch to nVidia.........:eek:

LOL Green team 1, Red team 0 in avatar's.
You'll love this board with the q9650. Takes some getting use to but once you figure it out its great.

Back