• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte EP45-UD3P

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Will be getting 2x2GB for my e8500 on a GigabyteEP45-UD3R (it has 4 slots for DDR2 and 2 slots for DDR3).

Loving this board in many ways but my cheap ddr2 ram is holding me back in my oc efforts, so I am upgrading to ddr3 hi-speed memory.

I am a bit confused about why the Corsair DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) is more expensive than the OCZ DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800). ?? Is it just brand power?

I understand that my e8500 has a bus limitation of 1333, but I want good fast RAM that will EASILY let me push the whole rig to new heights.

I see that the OCZ forums are helpful but I would rather just have the RAM work for whatever I need without fussing with timing experiments.

From Corsairs product page:
SPD settings of:
7-7-7-20 at 1066MHz
Guaranteed at:
Timings of 9-9-9-24 values at 1333MHz​

OCZ SPD's table:

Thoughts?

If you are taking OCZ go with their new Low-Voltage kits, Platinum, Gold or even Blade series. Nothing else from them I would recommend.

If you are taking OCZ go with their new Low-Voltage kits, Platinum, Gold or even Blade series. Nothing else from them I would recommend.

So at 1.9V (from the newegg spec page) this would not appear to be a low-voltage kit. But it is a Platinum kit.

I am really trying to avoid the headaches I have been having with my Kingston HyperX.... they are sold as DDR2 1066 but the spd tables lack a 1066 rating and even after trying their recommended timings and voltages I cannot get near 1066....

HyperX is not very good memory. OCZ's low voltage ones are rated at 1.65V DDR3 and 1.8V DDR2. Not sure about prices tho, but they should be cheaper then most. They have "LV" in their name like OCZ3P1600LV

Hi all, :peace!:

I have been having trouble getting my RAM to run at stock speeds with this mobo. From my reading here, it seems like there are some very sharp heads who like to problem solve.

I have a rock-solid motherboard that can run stable at 530 MHz in prime95 for a day, at least when the e8500 cpu is set to the minimum mult of x6 and the RAM is underclocked. The CPU can also run stable for a day of torture test at 4 Ghz when the RAM is underclocked.

The problem is that even with low FSBs and low CPU multipliers, I cannot get my RAM to run where it should. I have 2x2GB kit of Patriot Viper DDR3-1600 (PVS34G1600LLK). I have tried one stick at a time, in both slots, etc and there still seems to be a barrier around 1550-1600 Mhz.

The Patriot engineers want to RMA both sticks. But since they behave exactly the same I am a little hesitant to ship them back so quick. (I bought them after reading this EXCELLENT article: X-bit labs - Print version )

Anyway they are guaranteed to run at 1600 at 7-7-7-20 at 1.9 volts.

I have done some minor fiddling with MCH volts and RAM volts, but no luck so far. Anyone know the magic trick to make this board purr?

Here is most of my test data. What am I missing?

14wcp1.jpg

AND Now here is the same data sorted by RAM Speed:

280305w.jpg

Also attached the .xls spreadsheet if it helps...

I expect to be able to get this kit to 1700MHz, but right now 1600 would be fine with me.

Attachments

• patriotmem1_XLS.zip
    5.4 KB · Views: 90
Question!

Is it just me or is this how this specific board works?

Any fan I plug into the motherboard itself does not spin up right away. I would say it takes about a good second or two before it starts to spin up, plus fan starts spinning very slowly and to full speed.

Feedback would be appreciated.

Thank you!

yep thats the same for me too. I think it can be configured in the BIOS. SPecifically, when you enable the auto fan control depending on CPU temps.

yep thats the same for me too. I think it can be configured in the BIOS. SPecifically, when you enable the auto fan control depending on CPU temps.

I have auto fan control thing disabled.

It just feels like fan plugged into the motherboard itself is chocking at the start to getting it started or something, you know what i mean ?

Anyone else?

Just wanted to throw in my two-cents on this thread and give a heartfelt kudos to Gigabyte for such an awesome product. :clap:

Just upgraded from F5 to F9 BIOS and managed to get my Q6600 from 9x360= 3.24GHz to a now respectable 8x445 = 3.56GHz with barely any temp change. The NB / PVM cooling is great; one of the best stock ones around. Especially when you help it out by peeling off the functionally useless blue Gigabyte nameplates.

Enthusiast MB's have come a long way from my old DFI LP nF4-UT / AMD Athlon Barton 2500+ combo. Boy o' boy, was that a high maintenance girlfriend in terms of overclocking. Incredibly fussy.

This EP45-UD3P makes me feel like I don't deserve this overclock because it was so easy.

Capitol product Gigabyte! Keep it up!

I'd love to see that rig... you know... the one where you're running an XP Barton Socket A cpu in a DFI-NF4 Socket 939 mobo... pics please. :) ;) :p LoL... j/k bro... I couldn't help myself. :)

In fact, I have excellent stability out of my NF4 939 setups... still have two of them... one running right next to me... an Opteron 165 @ 2.9GHz == much slower than my E4300 @ 3.0GHz.

Definitely a nice board. If most of my Q6600s didn't clock as well as they do now in P35 based gigabyte mobos... I'd probably replace them with this board. I'm not an extreme OC'er but I've hit 450x8.5 (Q9550) solid/daily for quite a while now. It's a really nice setup. :)

I'd love to see that rig... you know... the one where you're running an XP Barton Socket A cpu in a DFI-NF4 Socket 939 mobo... pics please. :) ;) :p LoL... j/k bro... I couldn't help myself. :)

Lol. My bad. It was the 939 Athlon Venice Core. Barton was the one I had before that. Man I'm getting old......

Oh it was stable alright. After many hours of tinkering. Fought tooth and nail just to get 2.75 GHz out of it. Great system. Its the one I really cut my overclocking teeth on. The previous Barton one was easy as pie.....

Last edited:
Does it require any changes in BIOS to go from 2 stick to 4 stick?

Not that I can recall. I got them in the mail and stuck them in, memtested to make sure I didn't have to change my clock settings, and came back the next day and started gaming. *shrug*

hey, just got my UD3P a few weeks ago, and only just got my TRUE 120 a couple days ago, so i decided it was finally time to overclock the rig.
currently have my e8400 at 4.5Ghz, running stable (left prime95 running overnight)
core temps got up to 64, and 63 degrees max, but most of the time they were running at around 55-60 degrees, and like 25-28 while idle, so im happy with those temps.
only thing i have a question about is my ram, are these speeds what my ram should be benchmarking at?
memtest01.jpg

cpuid01.jpg

Last edited:
Hi all, :peace!:

I have been having trouble getting my RAM to run at stock speeds with this mobo. From my reading here, it seems like there are some very sharp heads who like to problem solve.

I have a rock-solid motherboard that can run stable at 530 MHz in prime95 for a day, at least when the e8500 cpu is set to the minimum mult of x6 and the RAM is underclocked. The CPU can also run stable for a day of torture test at 4 Ghz when the RAM is underclocked.

The problem is that even with low FSBs and low CPU multipliers, I cannot get my RAM to run where it should. I have 2x2GB kit of Patriot Viper DDR3-1600 (PVS34G1600LLK). I have tried one stick at a time, in both slots, etc and there still seems to be a barrier around 1550-1600 Mhz.

The Patriot engineers want to RMA both sticks. But since they behave exactly the same I am a little hesitant to ship them back so quick. (I bought them after reading this EXCELLENT article: X-bit labs - Print version )

Anyway they are guaranteed to run at 1600 at 7-7-7-20 at 1.9 volts.

I have done some minor fiddling with MCH volts and RAM volts, but no luck so far. Anyone know the magic trick to make this board purr?

Here is most of my test data. What am I missing?

what are the other settings like? all on auto?
what about mch ref?
instead of leaving them on auto, set them to normal if you are unsure what exact setting they should be

stable at 4.5Ghz here, after 4 hours of prime95, however, i am unable to get my ram to clock at faster than stock speeds.
i'll be doing an overnight prime95 tonight, just to make sure all is well.
4500mhzstable3581465.jpg

Back