• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte EP45-UD3P

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
up your cpuvtt a touch and what is your cpu reference voltage set to? cause im looking over this reviews of the board
http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/1626/5/gigabyte_ep45_ud3p_motherboard_exclusive_review/index.html
TweakTown said:
Voltages
CPU VCore: 0.50v to 2.3v in 0.00625v increments
CPU Term Voltage: 1.1v to 1.7v in 0.02v increments
CPU PLL Voltage: 1.5v to 2.81v in various increments
CPU Reference: 0.76v to 1.010v in Various increments
MCH Core: 1.1v to 2.0v in 0.02v increments
MCH Reference: 0.76v to 1.040v in Various Increments
MCH/DRAM Reference: 0.9v to 1.76v in 0.02v increments
ICH I/O: 1.5v to 2.31v in 0.02v Increments
ICH Reference: 1.1v to 1.4v in 0.1v increments
DRAM Voltage: 1.45v to 3.02v in 0.02v increments
DRAM Termination: 70.9v to 1.355v in Various increments
Channel A Reference: 0.9v to 1.76v in 0.02v increments
Channel B Reference: 0.9v to 1.76v in 0.02v increments
i cant remember if CPU PLL = CPU VTT or if CPU TERM = CPU VTT. i do have a hunch but not sure, maybe ross or you can clear this up. CPU REFERENCE =CPU GLT? if it is then try to keep that as low as possible. i still have CPU GTL % numbers in my head and i dont recall the exact fomula used to find CPU GLT voltage. i know its based off 2 other voltages used cpu v and cpu vtt, someone,right?

CPU Term is VTT and CPU Ref is GTL. I've had no luck messing with CPU Ref though. Actually, I've had no luck messing with GTL on any recent Gigabyte board. Maybe it will help a quad, but changing it from AUTO only seems to make things worse on my 8600.

@NeaX: 550FSB can take more Vmch than you might think to keep a tight performance level. IIRC, I needed something like 1.60-1.70Vmch to keep PL=8 stable at ~550FSB (with DDR2-1320+ 5-5-5 mem though).

Well, i can't get clear with this subtiming thing and stuff ross, this board is really difficult according my knowledge of all these settings :( I still get resets of the OC, while orthos/prime95/memtest are stable. so annoying. And what's the thing "PL=8" having for effect to the performance and stability? It's a memory " timing " right ? If i touch the PL option in memset and save the settings and reset the PC it totally locks up and crashes so hard that it will be hard to get the PC on again also the music of windows log in is sometimes randomly stuttering while putted an OC in the BIOS. Also at stock it's doing this sometimes. Can't get why. All i had is pretty much trouble with this board causing of my knowledge in the settings. Though, i find my knowledge in the settings not bad, but I AM doing something wrong then. Really. Still gotta find that "wrong" thing :(

Greetz

It might actually have to do with the memory you have and not any settings necessarily. I have said before that any time mine boots with defaults and then I change anything in BIOS (even only a voltage), it will reboot loop until I power down totally and then it's fine. I realized over the weekend, that it only does that on my Ballistix, not my Corsairs. If you're stable in Windows at your settings, it sounds like the BIOS just may be having some similar glitch on boot, not actually instability or a wrong setting.

I don't have the sound on, so I can't comment on that, but I did have a board that made hellacious crackling and noises until Windows finished loading. It drove me nuts. It could just be having an issue playing the sound while stuff is loading. Both issues may be things you just need to wait for a BIOS or driver update for :(

PL is actually internal Northbridge timings and what it needs to be depends on mem CAS, mem strap, FSB, Perf Margin settings, etc. 8 could be kind of tight if you are trying for 525-550FSB. Added MCH voltage will usually help, but you'll want to stick with a Vmch that you are comfortable with on a daily basis and then find the tightest PL that works stable on that voltage.

Use Memset to find what works for timings and/or set for benches, but I generally don't run the PL I use on the desktop/for benching for boot. In fact, mine is always on default unless I am benching. PL will generally required looser (higher #) for boot than you will be able to run on the desktop and that may be the problem you are running into for boot. If you do want to set PL manually for 24/7, in the Advanced Timing section under the primary mem timings, there is a section with secondary mem timings. At the top of that list is something called tStatic value, that is PL. Make sure you set it to the same number for both channels A and B.

Hey Guys
I decided to go with that board and Q9550. Should I get 800Mhz or 1066Mhz ram ? I am hoping to get close to 4Ghz on thermalright extreme. I am not sure if it's better to get better timings on downgraded 1066 memory (FSB 450-500) or OC 800Mhz memory? Also I know Ross is using older balistix. Any other recomendations for ram that is availalbe right now? Reapers, dominators, balistix ???

It might actually have to do with the memory you have and not any settings necessarily. I have said before that any time mine boots with defaults and then I change anything in BIOS (even only a voltage), it will reboot loop until I power down totally and then it's fine. I realized over the weekend, that it only does that on my Ballistix, not my Corsairs. If you're stable in Windows at your settings, it sounds like the BIOS just may be having some similar glitch on boot, not actually instability or a wrong setting.

I don't have the sound on, so I can't comment on that, but I did have a board that made hellacious crackling and noises until Windows finished loading. It drove me nuts. It could just be having an issue playing the sound while stuff is loading. Both issues may be things you just need to wait for a BIOS or driver update for :(

PL is actually internal Northbridge timings and what it needs to be depends on mem CAS, mem strap, FSB, Perf Margin settings, etc. 8 could be kind of tight if you are trying for 525-550FSB. Added MCH voltage will usually help, but you'll want to stick with a Vmch that you are comfortable with on a daily basis and then find the tightest PL that works stable on that voltage.

Use Memset to find what works for timings and/or set for benches, but I generally don't run the PL I use on the desktop/for benching for boot. In fact, mine is always on default unless I am benching. PL will generally required looser (higher #) for boot than you will be able to run on the desktop and that may be the problem you are running into for boot. If you do want to set PL manually for 24/7, in the Advanced Timing section under the primary mem timings, there is a section with secondary mem timings. At the top of that list is something called tStatic value, that is PL. Make sure you set it to the same number for both channels A and B.

Well really I don't know where to start anymore with tweaking!
Only thing i know i wich voltage the processor needs at wich speed.

Well ross, I'm stable now:D! still testing tho.

Flashed BIOS F7a into my board. And I'm now stable at 518 x 8,5 = 4400Mhz (1,42vcore load) memory a little underslocked now, but i will mess around with the 5-5-5-15 timings!
Probually aiming for some nice 5-4-5-12 or so, i will see what these dominators let me:)

Nice :) I haven't noticed much difference between the BIOSes that are out, but if 7a has what you needed, that's great :beer:

I got a new chip on Black Friday. I've been working on 533x9 (3hr run) but I'm not there yet...

Attachments

• E8400 4.8GHz cpuz 1.png
    E8400 4.8GHz cpuz 1.png
    44.1 KB · Views: 1,302
  • E8400 4.8GHz cpuz 2.png
    E8400 4.8GHz cpuz 2.png
    39.9 KB · Views: 1,304
  • E8400 4.8GHz cpuz 3.png
    E8400 4.8GHz cpuz 3.png
    20.5 KB · Views: 1,300
  • E8400 4.8GHz prime crop.png
    E8400 4.8GHz prime crop.png
    57 KB · Views: 1,311
While working on 533x9... I thought I'd try this. It was not stable enough to complete SP 32M (PL 10 w/loose sub timings)

Attachments

• E8400 5.0 SuperPi cpuz 1.png
    E8400 5.0 SuperPi cpuz 1.png
    41.4 KB · Views: 1,298
  • E8400 5.0 SuperPi cpuz 2.png
    E8400 5.0 SuperPi cpuz 2.png
    27.8 KB · Views: 1,287
  • E8400 5.0 SuperPi crop.png
    E8400 5.0 SuperPi crop.png
    42.5 KB · Views: 1,293
AFAIK, it's basically the same board less the 2nd PCIe slot.

Nice chip PolRoger!

for god's sake people, post easy tune shots of your settings so people can actually see what you're doing.

its not good enough to just brag you know. you have to teach!

Unless posted otherwise, everything on mine is AUTO except Vc, Vdimm and Vmch. A lot of it (when it comes to Vtt, PLL, mem timings, etc. anyway) is going to come down to your specific gear and you'll just need to test and adjust as necessary.

If you have specific questions, feel free to post and I'm sure anyone who can help, will :)

for god's sake people, post easy tune shots of your settings so people can actually see what you're doing.

its not good enough to just brag you know. you have to teach!

For post #129... vcore at 1.450v loadline enabled. MCH/VTT and refs on auto. I was going to try and reduce VTT from 1.6 to 1.46 but I don't think I saved the change.
For post #130 vcore at 1.475v loadline enabled MCH/VTT and refs on auto... I did not save a ET6 shot.
I'm not really pushing this chip too hard any more... this chips o.c. scaling noticeably starts to drop above 4.7

I plan to run this chip 500x9 DDR2-1200 with lower 24/7 type voltages. I'll post again when I can.

Here is ET6 from post #129

Attachments

• E8400 4.8GHz ET6.png
    E8400 4.8GHz ET6.png
    26.4 KB · Views: 1,186
Great info here. I built a system using this board a couple months ago and I'm looking forward to tweaking it. I'm just waiting until I get WC set up for it as I'm running a 4870x2 and the temps are scary. Once I get the cooling worked out I'm going to be interested to see how far I can push things.

Highest 600 FSB Ive been able to boot so far. Still tweaking on air till I get the hang of these Intel chipset boards as Ive only ran Nforce boards an a Tpower for a short time but returned it to get the EP45-UD3P.

600fsb.jpg

600X74200.jpg

Last edited:
Back