• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED [Gigabyte G1.Sniper 5 Z87] PWM Fan Control Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

skorpien

I wasn't sure if I should start a new thread or append my old one, so if any mods deem it necessary, please merge my threads (and my apologies).

I have a dual loop system up, with one MCP35X pump for each loop (one CPU/mobo and one GPUs).

The CPU loop's pump's PWM header is plugged into the CPU_FAN header on my motherboard, and the GPUs' is plugged into the CPU_OPT header. The CPU_FAN header seems to be able to control the PWM of my pump just fine, but for some reason the CPU_OPT header just goes full blast regardless of the PWM settings I set in the BIOS.

I'm wondering if there's any way to be able to control these two pumps using separate headers. I'd like to vary the PWM curve based on CPU temps and GPU temps respectively. I know I can use a PWM splitter to run both off the CPU_FAN header, but that solution is less than ideal to me.

I've also tried using speedfan to control the PWM curves of the two, but I can't quite make it work. I've followed various Gigabyte specific tutorials but I can't get speedfan to either read or control them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Can you try one of the other headers on the board, such as one of the case ones?

I've tried using other headers and unfortunately it won't let me control them. It just provides the RPM reading.

I noticed that my board has overall 9 headers. 7 PWM and 2 3-pin headers. SpeedFan only reads 3 PWM headers and 5 regular fan headers for some reason.

Connecting the pumps to CPU_FAN, CPU_OPT or SYS_FAN1 on my motherboard gives no readings at all and I have no control whatsoever in speedfan. Connecting them to SYS_FAN2 gives me a reading for Fan1 in SpeedFan, but as the headers are not reported as PWM fans, I can't set any kind of control for it either.

Gigabyte's own fan control software is atrocious. I had to uninstall it because it was interfering with my BIOS settings even when I tried disabling it.

Is there another program that would work with my setup? I'm hitting a wall. Everything I've come up with online, I've tried with no luck. It's as if SpeedFan just doesn't want to work with my motherboard?

Swap the two pumps between the CPU Fan and CPU OPT headers. If you still find that the same pump can't be controlled, then I'd say the PWM function of that pump is defective.

I've tried that thinking that might be the case, but unfortunately it's not the pumps. Whichever pump is connected to the CPU_FAN header varies in speed depending on CPU usage/temp (based on the profile I chose in the BIOS) and the one connected to CPU_OPT (or any other header) runs full blast.

I've fashioned a PWM splitter for the time being and when both pumps are connected to CPU_FAN they both vary in speed. Unfortunately, regardless of which profile I choose in the BIOS, it eventually ramps up to 100% which is too noisy for me. I'm even contemplating getting D5 Varios for my next teardown so that I can just set the speed and not have to worry about PWM curves.

Why not build yourself a PWM fan controller? (or buy one of mine from the classifieds...)
Then you have your knob to select pump speed, without having to tear your loops apart and buy new pumps.

There're a couple of threads as well as a frontpage article on building your own, it's really quite simple especially for the basic single-555 version.

I hope to have kits available sometime soon, they're doubling as SMD-practice kits, but SMD soldering really isn't that hard IMO.
That said, I actually recommend building your own from parts purchased from Digikey or Mouser, I think you learn more that way. I did.

Looks like I'm going to learn how to make a PWM controller...

I just placed an order through Digi-Key. I'll be following this tutorial, so hopefully I have ordered everything I'll need.

digikey.jpg

I realize the box is smaller than the stripboard, but I'm planning on cutting the board to size. And I thought I'd order a few spare parts just in case, seeing as this is my first time attempting something like this.

(This forum is seriously bad for my wallet...)

I'm pretty excited to get started. Always wanted to get into making my own circuits but never knew how or where to start. This is perfect.

Thanks again Bobnova!

Happy to report that all went well :)

I was able to build my own PWM controller using the article I linked to earlier with some minor modifications.

I included a 12V and Ground passthrough to the PWM header. It's not necessary to use with my pumps but it made testing it with a PWM fan much easier than having to provide power to the fan separately. Not to mention I wasn't willing to risk my pumps as guinea pigs considering I was half expecting this to go up in a glorious puff of smoke. (I've inadvertantly made an incandescent bulb out of a paper clip and some crossed wires in the past...)

I also made a passthrough tach wire to plug into my motherboard's header so it doesn't freak out about not having a CPU fan. And I can monitor RPM using software.

And, of course, pics are included. Pardon the graphics card box, I had absolutely no clean surface area on my desk to take pictures...

FC1.jpg

FC2.jpg

FC3.jpg

FC4.jpg

FC5.jpg

I've currently got my pumps at 3,000 RPM and I'm so glad to be rid of the annoying ramp up when gaming/stress testing.

Thanks again, everyone. And thanks Bobnova for pointing me at the DIY PWM controller.

Back