• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte G1 Sniper M3/Gskill Sniper 2133

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nebulous

Dreadnought Class Senior
After my fiasco with the cursed MSI board, I swapped for the Gigabyte G1 Sniper M3. Figured since I was getting a new board, I might as well take everything apart and do a super clean-out including flushing out the loop.

Recieved the giga board along with some new ram yesterday about 3:30pm and rebuilt the main. After leak testing for a few hours to be sure there wasn't any of those pesky drops/droplets trying to escape from an unknown area (lol), the moment came when I pressed the power button and the mega-o came to life :D

A fresh os install, updates and all that good stuff and I was good. Went into the bios, set XMP for the new ram, cpu multi to 42, saved and exit. Booted extremely fast and running along @ 4.2Ghz with stock vcore. Me = :clap:

Bios is a tad different from the MSI, but alot simpler than people might think. A few peeks at certain settings and I knew what did what (for the most part anyways).

So far I'm luvin this board! :D

Attachments

• CpuZ.jpg
    CpuZ.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 698
I'm running one of these in my daily rig as well. My only complaint so far is that a jumper is needed for CMOS reset; making it hard to reset while in a case. I've gotten spoiled with the CMOS reset switches/buttons on my previous boards, but it's SO much easier :D

I'm running one of these in my daily rig as well. My only complaint so far is that a jumper is needed for CMOS reset; making it hard to reset while in a case. I've gotten spoiled with the CMOS reset switches/buttons on my previous boards, but it's SO much easier :D

It may looks weird, but I do love jumper for CMOS reset and dislike buttons, especially in the back of the MOBO near the USB connectors... :chair:

With my big fingers, it happened more than one time that I push it while inserting an USB stick, and then, you don't even have the time to say "holy f.... s...!!!" that you've erased everything :rofl:

I've never had one on the back of a motherboard in a daily system, I see how that could definitely be annoying on an accidental press. I do like the buttons that are on the PCB, so I can just open the side panel and touch a button instead of try to fumble with a jumper in my hand while weaving around components and not being able to see header very well. I had to reset mine once when competing in a team comp, and it was so annoying I wanted to throw the whole PC out the window... :rofl:

I was trying to OC further than 5GHz though, so I'm lucky I only had to reset it once :D This board isn't a bad OCer at all, especially for a 24/7 system.

I see what you mean: it happened to me too with a MSI P67 GD65 :D

I was trying to find the jumper during 20 looong minutes, with my phone to bring me some light and a very incomfortable position because the PC I had to repare was fixed against the wall and under a desk (don't even consider asking me why :facepalm:).

A pure nightmare but I am still laughing while remembering it :rofl:

lol my p45x3 deluxe had one on the back, handy but also annoying :D

You guyz :rofl:

Well 4.2Ghz is a breeze, but 4.5Ghz is quite tricky so I'm sure anything past that will be a hassle. I mean I can get the 4.5Ghz, but adjusting voltages is a pain. It either overvolts or undervolts. When it overvolts it's like 1.351v even when set to 1.2v and I compensate with the offset voltage to bring it to 1.3v max :rolleyes:

When I drop it via the offset from the overvolted 1.351v (even tho in the main bios screen it shows 1.224v) it undervolts so low it fails to boot past the splash screen and I have to reset the bios :-/

I'm not teed-off, just perplexed as to why it does that :confused:

I'm sure I'll figure it out. Board has the F7 bios (5/12) There's an F9 (8/12) and a new Beta F10c (12/12). Unsure if I want to flash the bios to a newer one or use the beta to fix the issue I'm having with the voltage.

Still tho, this board rawks!

Im glad to hear your loving you board, i need to do fresh install of my system, and then i should be able to see how it fares with higher multiplier.

But so far, i can tell you, the AsRock, already in a different league compared to the MSI. Bios, soooo much easier to understand, so much simpler.

Hey Pierre, glad you got your AsRock and you're enjoying it. The Sniper M3 is a wicked board and clocks very nice. After a few hours of tinkering within the bios, I managed to get 4.4Ghz with 1.275v. Decided not to play with the offset voltage (DVID) and the LLC set to High. 4.5Ghz requires alot more voltage than I would like, and temps got hotter so I settled on the 4.2Ghz with 1.225v.

Boots up extremely faster than the MSI. I also noticed with the MSI when you would set anything in the bios, it would have a hesitation and reboot itself several times before booting into desktop. Have no clue why it did that :shrug:

The Sniper M3 boots up right quick without any hesitations and does not do what the MSI did.

Maybe with a little more playing around I'll get it to 4.5Ghz, but for now 4.2Ghz is plenty fast with very cool temps. So far I'm happy :D

Keep me posted on those results with your new AsRock board! :thup:

Hey Pierre, glad you got your AsRock and you're enjoying it. The Sniper M3 is a wicked board and clocks very nice. After a few hours of tinkering within the bios, I managed to get 4.4Ghz with 1.275v. Decided not to play with the offset voltage (DVID) and the LLC set to High. 4.5Ghz requires alot more voltage than I would like, and temps got hotter so I settled on the 4.2Ghz with 1.225v.

Boots up extremely faster than the MSI. I also noticed with the MSI when you would set anything in the bios, it would have a hesitation and reboot itself several times before booting into desktop. Have no clue why it did that :shrug:

The Sniper M3 boots up right quick without any hesitations and does not do what the MSI did.

Maybe with a little more playing around I'll get it to 4.5Ghz, but for now 4.2Ghz is plenty fast with very cool temps. So far I'm happy :D

Keep me posted on those results with your new AsRock board! :thup:

I can only agree, everytime i tried to overclock, it would end up in a cycle of reboots. So far, the Asrock has been a lot better with this, but then again, i will need to do a fresh install, but i have a sneaky suspicion i will love this board a lot more! I already kinda do.. :D

Im glad you both found something you like at least! Its a shame because the Mpower is a damn good board when working and in the right hands. :)

Hi AJ :)

Interesting read. I'll have to look further into that, thx!

Im glad you both found something you like at least! Its a shame because the Mpower is a damn good board when working and in the right hands. :)

Yeah a shame. It's like sports cars: You can get one that's a speed demon, but then you get the same car and it turns out to be a lemon. No matter what you do to make it run right, just going around the block you'll need a tow truck and then the junk yard :rofl:

I still cant believe you literally threw it in the garbage. I would have bought that thing back off you...(how confident I am in the other bios). But MEH.

Well I was already disgusted with it to begin with. When it failed to boot with that 9C error code and everything I did failed to bring it back from the dead, I didn't want to look at it anymore and just wanted it gone.

I understand. Bottom line is you are happy (just sad about the luck of the transaction, I dont like sales to go that way... just plumb bad luck), as that is what is important. :)

Have you tried tightening up the timings on the ram a bit? I see that you're running C11 and based on the rest of the timings, it looks like the typical XMP settings for Hynix CFR.

I bet with a slight bump in voltage you could get down to maybe even C9.

Loosely, they should be similar to these GEIL modules (same ICs), although you are running 4 modules instead of 2:
http://www.overclockers.com/geil-evo-veloce-8gb-ddr3-2133-c10-review

Lowered them to 10-10-10-28 @ 1.6. Anything lower and the pc refuses to boot. As for clock speed: I got it to 4.5Ghz with 1.332v. Under prime vcore drops to 1.31. Any vcore lower and the pc fails to boot. Temps loaded under prime get between 78-80c across the board. I also lowered the PLL to 1.755. Trying to drop that to keep lowering temps. So far so good :)

Back